[Event] TransBaviaans 2011

EcoBound MTB Events

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is 5 days before the race. What's going on with the route and why don't we hear anything (official)?

Jip, it's gonna be interesting, looks like the Bergplaas replacement is quite hectic, it also comes after checkpoint 2, where we usually had another one inbetween.

route changed. In comparison I noted that we will be dropping elevation much slower than the old profile up to 130km, then lose most of the elevation after the monster climb replacing bergplaas(800m in 10km)

Ag, that sucks. I was looking forward to another ride through the Kloof. Shouldn't the name now change to "TransGrootrivier"? :lol:

Anybody know how the support will work and what checkpoints our crates are going to be sent to?

Also whats the total elevation of the new route?

That is very dissappointing news. The main reason I was doing this race was to see the the Baviaanskloof. Not even sure I'm going anymore :thumbdown: Can it be so bad that the complete route had to be changed???

I heard from someone who was travelin gin the Baviaaskloof last week that at some place the water came up to the windows of the 4x4. Now yes, obviously one would really love to go through the Kloof, but sjoe, imagine walking through an icecold river, with water coming up to your chest, carrying your bike above your head, in the dark.

I think it'll be either changing the route, or cancelling the event.

That is very dissappointing news. The main reason I was doing this race was to see the the Baviaanskloof. Not even sure I'm going anymore :thumbdown: Can it be so bad that the complete route had to be changed???

I don't think that the orginisers took this decision lightly. Too many safety issues arise when the road conditions are not good and the water crossings are dangerous to cross. The Baviaans is unfortunately one of those routes that doesn't allow you access from various points. You enter at Willowmore and you exit at Kondomo, so it is either a full route change or cancelling the event. Route changes result in many more logistical challenges and also attract additional costs. With over 1000 riders' safety to consider I suspect that they made the correct decision.

Well done to the orginisers for having a backup route. Does anyone know if the backup route was used before? About 4 years it was very wet and cold through the Kloof, but rider numbers were about a third of what the entries are these days.

Hi Everyone...

The route for the Trans Baviaans 2011 has changed. Logistics have been sorted...all you have to do is come and enjoy the ride :-)

I'm sure they didn't make the decision lightly.

One guy from the 4x4 Community Forum went to the Baviaanskloof over the weekend and Smitskraal was a meter deep (over the headlights of the vehicle). That is pretty deep!

Now imagine they need to get to someone on the other side of the river. That will mean driving about 500km around the kloof to get there!

It's not the organisers fault. I love the Baviaanskloof, but will make most of the new route!

Well done to the organisers for taking the brave step to change the route. A lot of riders will certainly be questioning the decision, but it is all in favour of the riders. Virgin territory for everyone!!! :clap: