Giant Paint qaulity

iRob

Hi Guys and Girls

Who of you have had bad experiences with Giants, OR any other manufacturer's paint jobs of late?

I bought an Anthem X2 in August and the GIANT decals are flaking off. I've tried the warranty route but they say the evidence is insufficient.

Its the first time this ever happens to me and my family has had Giants for the passed 21 years.

Does anyone know of any solutions or avenues to pursue?

Thanks

post-14080-0-73243700-1295512065.jpg

post-14080-0-29886100-1295512075.jpg

post-14080-0-82198000-1295512119.jpg

post-14080-0-74930300-1295512136.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow the decals look bad, but the others look like cable rub?

Yes its just a few extra general photos I've added. The rub is pretty bad though, considering the bike is only 5months old.

Yes the GIANT logo painted under the FD is completely flaked off.

I'll take the bike to Dragons and have them have a look at it.

Edited by iRob

The cable rub is something you cant claim for but the paint work thats enough to get a new frame.

I wouldnt leave it like that.

I tried to use all weather tape to protect the frame from cable rub and it seems to not have worked. I'll try and speak to Dragons directly. While I love my LBS and the guy is a legend, this sort of stuff is not his forte.

Just have a look at the warrantee I think Giant is life long but usually paint is only one year. That headtube is not right flaky and the clear coat seems to be bubbling ?

It came off when off, i.e. started flaking, when I pulled the tape off, note pulled not ripped, after Sabie late in December.

I do see they have a 1 year warranty on the paint. The stuff I used is used by a friend on her carbon shwinn, and she is a professional, so if it works on carbon I don't see why its not safe for a metal frame.

I've had a Gaint Anthem 1 (2007) and now 2 Anthem X0's, and no paint issues at all.

Some tapes could have an effect on paint. I had vinyl stickers made for our Sid forks and replaced the one set the other day and noticed that the original paint underneath the sticker has a cracked effect...

Giant is powdercoated which is very tough and shouldn't flake at all imo..

Good luck with that, a friends anthem cracked within the warranty period (at the seattube, seatpost not to far out) and they did not want to give him a new frame, he had to pay R1500 for his replacement. Okay thats not much but it was supposed to be free.

I'm sure Giant (Dragons) will be reasonable. If it means that I have to get thr frame resprayed I won't mind as long as i) its quick and ii) they will still cover me if the frame brakes.

I cracked a Giant Atx 840 long ago, they replaced it for free with a newer model....but then it got stolen like 8months later out of the house :(