Do you mind if I take a good look at your bike

103 members have voted

1. 1. Touching my bike...

• ...any time, no problem, anybody may.
    • ...sure if you ask. But don't think anything of it if I say no.
    • ...nobody but me I'm afraid.

What is the issue? It is a bloody bike and it gets ridden. Esp MTB. It bets bashed scratched dinged etc.

So what the more you pay the lighter it gets that is all. 10K, 20k, 30k +++ who cares.

Just ride it.

It is an issue. I pay or get sponsored a 90k bike and some plonker comes and puts a scratch on it or messes with the gears or bumps a brake caliper then he is gonna have problems. First I expect him to buy me a new one so it is in the original conditions he touched it in and then I also want to be sure that when I am hitting 90+km/h down a pass I know exactly what has happened to it and that it is gonna keep going 90+km/h until I decide otherwise.

Point being, don't touch what you can't afford and if yo do and you can afford it be prepared to pay for a new one if you even just scratch it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you feel about others handling your ride?

Please share.

Personally I am very protective.

This weekend I had a rare explosion when I went to the garage and found the gardener sitting on my bike during his lunch break.

Poor bike. My bikes sleep in my room with me.

Don't think this is possible if you got good equipment, worst case is the cable tries to stretch.

Unfortunately it's possible. I personally experienced someone all but destroying a shifter of mine years ago...

Only 3 dudes I know how to handle by carbon horse can touch and move it... They are my tech at the LBS and a chommie or few.

The rest of the planet - Nah!! :P

Edited by AirBender

I dont have an issue when people look at my bike or pick it up to feel the weight while I am standing right next to it BUT when there is an issue or problem there is only two people that may touch my road bike, me and William from Williams bike shop. Not that worried about the MTB though.

There are to many "DIY mechanics" that have the potential to stuff up, scratch or break it even further.

Friend of mine came over for coffee the other day. When he saw my MTB he casually mentioned (not asked) that he might want to borrow it at some stage to train with a buddy of his who has a MTB. He personally has never been on one, let alone one with cleats... He might, however have to adjust my seat a little bit.

Because of the fact that he is also our minister none of the words that was said in my head came out my mouth, but I think my body language and facial expression said “Go buy your own F@&&ing bike and crack your own carbon frame on your first fall”

Friend of mine came over for coffee the other day. When he saw my MTB he casually mentioned (not asked) that he might want to borrow it at some stage to train with a buddy of his who has a MTB. He personally has never been on one, let alone one with cleats... He might, however have to adjust my seat a little bit.

Because of the fact that he is also our minister none of the words that was said in my head came out my mouth, but I think my body language and facial expression said “Go buy your own F@&&ing bike and crack your own carbon frame on your first fall”

Reminds me of a friend of mine who was thinking of getting some deep section wheels. So he says to me, "Can I pop around some time to pick up your Boras this weekend to take for a test ride?"

I think I recall asking him to leave his hot girlfriend as a deposit that I could try out whilst he was away.

I really dont mind if somebody wants to ride my bike, its my pleasure to let somebody else feel how lekker it rides

I dont even let the wife touch my bike, let alone anyone else.

hmm <_<, what's the story man, there's got to be a story around that restraining order.. :P

hmm dry.gif, what's the story man, there's got to be a story around that restraining order.. :P

No story, lol. :lol:

Reminds me of a friend of mine who was thinking of getting some deep section wheels. So he says to me, "Can I pop around some time to pick up your Boras this weekend to take for a test ride?"

I think I recall asking him to leave his hot girlfriend as a deposit that I could try out whilst he was away.

Sounds fair

three things (maybe four things) that nobody may touch without explicit permission:

My bike

My tools

my wife and

My chess clock

Same thing happened to me, also a minister. I started giving him pointers on his own purchase, whilst explaining the subtle setup issues I had with this bike.

This was all preceded by a firm NO.

A lot of people actually only see a bike, then equate it to what they see at Game or Pick and Pay. My bike is the entry level Merida, but it is mine, and I cannot afford better, so the value of it is the same as a 90k bike will be to another person.