CSA PLEASE HELP

mix

Good afternoon everyone.

I need some serious help, not serious like the aids epidemic, more like hemorrhoid level of seriousness.

anyway I started cycling last year and im loving it, now I plan on doing as many events I can this year, 35kms and 60kms I want to do at least one a month (dreaming) now as you can imagine I am not a race snake and I really do it because I love it, I want to get better times and longer distances, now every race I enter it asks me for my CSA number, now I have been on there website and im bloody confused, do I need to register and purchase the license if I am only cycling for fun and enjoy doing races on weekends? And if so why and how the hell does it work?

I have also heard that you can’t do some races unless you are a member, is this true?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by mix

You only need a CSA membership IF you do not want to get charged R35 day license everytime you do a race. BUT you need to belong to a club to get a membership AND you have to pay affiliation fee to GP cycling. You can join www.roag.co.za for only R50 and then pay the province affiliation when you take out your CSA membership. Only the big boys pay for licenses, the rest of us only membership.

ok great so its 50+75 and thats pretty much it? also forgot to specify this is for mtb not sure that changes anything except everyone thinking WTF in terms of race distance i specified.

ok great so its 50+75 and thats pretty much it? also forgot to specify this is for mtb not sure that changes anything except everyone thinking WTF in terms of race distance i specified.

Roag = R50

Province = R75

CSA membership = R75

Total = R200

It covers both road and MTB in any distance. Just remember that with a CSA membership only you can not take part in provincial or national champs.

thats perfect, thanks so much for your help.

one more question could be really stupid but i pay the provincial affiliation on the csa website when i do my membership?

thats perfect, thanks so much for your help.

one more question could be really stupid but i pay the provincial affiliation on the csa website when i do my membership?

Sounds about right yes.

Good luck in getting any action (i.e race number) from them anytime soon...

All done and paid, now im guessing its a long wait?

how long am i looking at before i get my race number etc?

once you have paid both yr roag club fee and csa the club needs to authorize membership on the csa website. once this is done everything happens in a matter of a few days. best drop the lady at ROAG an email and tell her you have registered on the CSA site.

yip thats exactly what is happening, ill drop her an email.

thanks for all the help guys.

Good luck in getting any action (i.e race number) from them anytime soon...

What do you mean? The process is much better than last year and way way better than the year before that.

Some guys had their licenses issued within 2 days!

My took a bit longer due to some jurisdictional confusion, but still impressed none the less!

How long should the wait be for your new CSA card? Secondly why couldn't we have just kept our old cards and that the details just get updated online - Seems a waste of time & money really.

How long should the wait be for your new CSA card? Secondly why couldn't we have just kept our old cards and that the details just get updated online - Seems a waste of time & money really.

Got my Membership card e-mailed to to me within a week.

Racing license arrived in the post a week after that.

Administrative wise it is just easier to just show your card at the entry tables instead of them having to check if you are registered for that year.

That said, ALL SHOULD BE DONE ONLINE BEFORE YOU ENTER, making the whole "show your card and here's your number" thing look like 1950!!! <_< :thumbdown: :angry:

Got my Membership card e-mailed to to me within a week.

Racing license arrived in the post a week after that.

Administrative wise it is just easier to just show your card at the entry tables instead of them having to check if you are registered for that year.

That said, ALL SHOULD BE DONE ONLINE BEFORE YOU ENTER, making the whole "show your card and here's your number" thing look like 1950!!! dry.gif :thumbdown: :angry:

So thats my card the emailed version, no plastic one? Should I be taking that with me to races?

So thats my card the emailed version, no plastic one? Should I be taking that with me to races?

Race ENTRIES, not races.

Only the Cat riders will be required to have their racing license at races.

But yes, that's your MEMBERSHIP card. Show that at entry tables and you should not be required to pay your R35 day license.

:thumbup: