Who works harder?

I have been wondering and a fellow hubber and friend fuelled the question!

If I cycle 17km in 43 min on my MTB with nobblies on the road. And another cyclist cycles 10km in 43min. Who work harder to complete their training course?

The one that has a balance of (most unfit, most difficult route).

But that's not the answer you're looking for is it?

Most accurate would be for both to ride with the same cadense and then you look at heart rate. One with highest hr works harder

If I cycle 17km in 43 min on my MTB with nobblies on the road. And another cyclist cycles 10km in 43min. Who work harder to complete their training course?

Whiskers

Is this like a "Friday thread thing".....................................just asking cause theres soooomuch strange strings doing the rounds ...you know !!!??@?:):D

Nope, I have a very strange mind!

@stewie911 - does calories burnt not play a role?

why don't you let the same dude do the same trip with both bikes?

then measure heart rate and calories burnt ...........to be sure day one you start with road bike then get on mtb and do same trip, day two turn the cycle around while measuring both trips on heart rate and calories .......the fact that i answered this very disturbing!!>>>>>>>>>

Edited by CharlV

Well that's the plan! I thought i could get away with a quicker answer here!

too many variables boet ,both trips same dude ,different bikes!:thumbup:

Same dude, same bike! We just need to schdule the whole exercise now

NO!!! Same dude different bikes ...................freekin jel !! It's late, best you go rest then I drill this again tomorrow same dude Two different bikes :lol:

One of South Africa's most well known and respected flight instructors I had the prevalige to deal with would have said" does it matter" ? The main thing is they are both are on there bikes,and that's what matters............so ja, just my very humble opition on it!

There's not enough info. It depends on the course, equipment, weather conditions and weight for each rider, fitness and individual physiology.

If you could measure/estimate how much power they put out during the ride, then you could make a decision.

In absolute terms, it's the one who's average power is greater. If they both rode at 100W, then theoretically they both did the same work.

In relative terms, it's the one who's average power is a greater percentage of their threshold power. Lets say they both ride at 100W, but the one is a 100kg prop with a threshold power of 200W, while the other is a 50kg jockey with a threshold power of 100W. Both do the same work and have the same threshold power/weight (analogous to fitness), but the jockey will be close to puking after 43min, while the prop will barely break a sweat.

there's a general consensus that, if the bikes are the same weight, same rider is riding both bikes, and the same terrain is being ridden, then just by virtue of having knobblies on you are working 30% harder.

Assuming a flat route, or constant gradient for the full course, then riding 10k on a MTB would be like riding 13k on a road machine. So by virtue of those calculations, the roadie would have worked harder completing the 17k than an MTBer would have worked while completing the 10k.

Now, since mtb's are normally heavier than road bikes, have lower gear ratios and you are generally in a more upright position on an MTB... Well, then, it gets a bit tricky. Also, different tires come into it, due to the rolling resistance of each set blah blah blah blah blah.

In the end - the answer you're looking for is, in fact...

YES!