The 31-year-old noob

wesley_r

I'm also one of the slightly older riders, the nice thing about being older is that everything seems so much more exciting than when i was younger. e.g a 3 foot jump seems huge and really gives me a kick when i make it, whereas when i was younger that would have been nothing. So for me there are advantages to being older along with the fact that now i can afford better equipment.

:clap:

Edited by tmstiles

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's revive this topic shall we...

As part of my 31-year-old-noob program, I decided it would be prudent to head down to Dirtopia and race in the "dual" event (like 4x, but with 2 riders). Once I got over the fact that all the laaities half my age had twice my speed, I settled into a nice rythm and started having a ball...

post-12904-0-80272200-1305559283.jpg

post-12904-0-68299000-1305559288.jpg

You guys will learn with time: speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden deacceleration that really gets to you....

The faster you go, the smoother it feels (until things go pear shaped and you're NOT on your bike anymore). Wheels are round and can roll really well, bodies don't...

I'm also in the same boat as most guys here. Been riding XC trails and doing some races for a few years but only got into downhill this year. Started on a real cheapie but got myself a Specialized Big Hit 3 which I'm really happy with. Really motivated to get my downhill riding skills up. Have not entered a race yet but thinking of doing the 3rd round of the KZN series. Really nervous to go do it but should be fun.

Pierre: good luck and good ripping for your first race. Nothing, and i mean nothing upsize your stones like your first race. When is the first round? Let us know how it goes :)

is that track still there Wes? U up for a head2head? it's there or nitida ;) lemme know..

Edited by Jarek Wysocki

yeah dude the track's there permanently... this weekend is a little tight, but i'm lank keen!!

most likely neither this weekend - promised someone else a trail ride, let me see what happens though, otherwise next weekend perhaps?

Awesome the_wes: I am in the same boat. Just started doing the "DH" thing, and am often out distance, out heighted by 3 yr lighties on hard tails that are barefoot!!

I/we love it.

It all started one day in Lebanon on a bump in the trail which we rode over and over and over and thought we were legends.

Then got a cheap full susser (mongoose) and decided to try DH at Eden near the hut, fell and tore ligaments in the shoulder. Off for 4 months back again with a bigger big hit (morewood) bike and armour, life insurance and a written will.

Now I just gotta not think and do, there are some nice jumps in Eden and Tokai to practice.

Anyway, I love it. Would love to do a DH "race" but dont have the minerals yet.

hahah stryder. that was pretty funny. good writing style ;)

So it was a bust shoulder that kept you away. been waiting to hook up with you at the treeline track..

Wes: np. whenever. Think I'll mission out if it's not raining. it's a pretty sweet bit of track.

Edited by Jarek Wysocki

so this noob is looking to get a new rig:

- 2nd hand commencal meta 5.5

- new (old stock) mongoose khyber

- on-one summer season frame build up

- or just a better fork on my mongoose tyax hardtail

:D

Let's revive this topic shall we...

As part of my 31-year-old-noob program, I decided it would be prudent to head down to Dirtopia and race in the "dual" event (like 4x, but with 2 riders). Once I got over the fact that all the laaities half my age had twice my speed, I settled into a nice rythm and started having a ball...

Dude, where is this track? Keen to try it out on my steed and get the skills honed etc... Could do with a track like that! At the moment I'm just doing Tokai and all the same track all the same time, and to be honest, it's getting pretty ripped up there lately! Would love a bit of variety!

Dirtopia, Delvera outside Stellenbosch. It's essentially a 4x / pump type track. Jumps, lots of different lines, big berms. We should definitely head down sometime as a group.

Dirtopia, Delvera outside Stellenbosch. It's essentially a 4x / pump type track. Jumps, lots of different lines, big berms. We should definitely head down sometime as a group.

Keen! Just not this weekend... Got plans already. And my power steering pump has just failed, so I don't want to drive any more than is necessary until it's fixed.