Tubeless tyres

T-girl

Are they good at Good2Go?

I have Mavic Xm rims.

Yeah, I wont take my bike any where else, they are independent bike mechanics. Great guys and will help with any quries, ask for Mark.

Those rims will be fine for the conversion, are they the Mavic XM 317 disc rims? If so, they will be doing a wheel build & tubeless conversion for me with the same rims

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert on the matter, but one thing i do suggest is to get the bontrager rim strips, should be about R200 each if I remember correctly(and if you can find them, Eagle Canyon or Liden Cycles), but they are the shiz, your tires will seat and seal much better and the valves have very little chance of breaking off. The stans strips I had I was always very worried about the valves tearing from the strips( happened to a mate of mine on race day).

For good "cheap" tires www.easybike.co.za

Used Stans to convert my non-UST rims and tyres (WTB Speedisc and WTB Weirwolf tyres)...

Less air leakage than when I ran tubes, no punctures and no issues in around 250kms...

Based on this - I dont see a reason to opt for the heavier more expensive UST tyres...

I ride Teak, Braamfontein Spruit and a few other single tracks in and around the Northern Suburbs...

The guys are right, tubeless is the way forward...no it shouldn't make your setup heavier but it will make you a better rider since you can run lower pressure creating more traction and in turn making you go faster over/under/around tricky stuff. The other benefit is of course no more punctures.

If you don't know how or don't want to try...go to zululand cycles....very lekker okes, they will do the conversion quick stix and wont rip you off. True story...forgot my shoes in dec 2009 and badly wanted to ride holla, owner of zululand sorted me out with a pair of his own for my holiday. I make a point of buying something every year I am down there for dec.

Haven't ever had a puncture (touch wood). and I never really adjust my tyre pressure according to riding conditions. I just feel my tyres and if they feel pretty hard then I'm good to go :rolleyes:

Mainly want my wheels lighter as the Giant X frame is pretty light and I feel its a waster with my liners-slime-tubes-heavy-rimmed wheels!

New rims would be nice. I think I must save a bit more...

Haven't ever had a puncture (touch wood). and I never really adjust my tyre pressure according to riding conditions. I just feel my tyres and if they feel pretty hard then I'm good to go :rolleyes:

Mainly want my wheels lighter as the Giant X frame is pretty light and I feel its a waster with my liners-slime-tubes-heavy-rimmed wheels!

New rims would be nice. I think I must save a bit more...

For now, convert the old ones. It wont cost too much, those rims are fine

T-girl

My advice: (1) Save some money and go for the Ghetto tubeless set-up (even ask fir bike shop guys to do it for you??/ Or a willing Hubber nearby? ;) Ghetto will cost you R25 + sealant (any other tubeless setup will cost you R200+ sealant)

(2) THEN use the money you have saved and opt for the proper tubless tyres (they will be around 100 - 150 More expensive, but definatly worth it in the long run)

for a newbie at tubeless, you then get an inexpensive proper setup at a cost that will not break the bank...THEN later on you can always opt for either tubeless rims....a good upgrade you will WANT to make inthe future.... or the STANS rimstrips route (which i don't think is ever necessary!)

I've been riding 3000km's + on my ghetto tubeless and not a single issue yet!!

Sounds like things are getting complicated. For sure Tubeless is the way to go. Even if the conversion almost weighs the same, you will save loads of time in races where people get lots of punctures. I rode through a patch of thorns and just pulled them out. Didn't need to bomb the tire. The GF went through the same patch (well didn't quite make it) she had 13 punctures. What a pain those devil throns can be.....

There is loads of ways to convert. The lightest is rim tape like the one No Tubes uses on their rims or the effettocaffe tubeless tape. these are the lightest options. remember you will still have to buy the valve... Example of this is:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49694

Another type of tubeless kit is one similar to the DT Swiss one (which can be used on various other makes of rims). This one has a double sided tape and then you put the rubber rim strip on. Also very light solution. Example of this is:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10515

I would not recommend using the Stans or no tubes Rubber strips that look like an old tube. Firstly they are heavy and also if you don't get it correctly sitting on the rim you end up with some of the "tube" showing between the rim and the tire. Example of this is:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38842

Tires are a whole different ball game. Very much a personal thing what type of tread you like, and what type of riding you intend to use. I know the Conti Mountain kings work well in KZN area but are not as great in the loose gravel stuff up in JHB.

Hope this helps. If not phone a friend :-) I know Mackie on the hub loves fiddling with bikes as much as he likes drinking beer. He is also known to go to Holla a few times so I am sure you can ask him some advice.

My 2c worth:

I have tubeless rims.

My wife doesn't. I used Stans rim strips.

I have Geax Tyres

The wife has Michelin tyres.

The wife's bike's tires does not lose as much air as mine and when I test ride her bike (I know I shouldn't) it just feels as if her tyres roll a lot faster than mine. (Paid R600 for both Michelins!)

Point is, it does not matter what you use and what you do. But just get it, it's worth it.

My 2c worth:

I have tubeless rims.

My wife doesn't. I used Stans rim strips.

I have Geax Tyres

The wife has Michelin tyres.

The wife's bike's tires does not lose as much air as mine and when I test ride her bike (I know I shouldn't) it just feels as if her tyres roll a lot faster than mine. (Paid R600 for both Michelins!)

Point is, it does not matter what you use and what you do. But just get it, it's worth it.

Not a fan of Geax tyres, used one for all of 100Km :thumbdown:

Not a fan of Geax tyres, used one for all of 100Km :thumbdown:

It Geax...I mean, leaks a bit of air yes, but it grips nice and is better in the wet than th X'marks I had before.

Only raced with them once and that was 70km in the mud!

T-Girl, I take it that those rime are the Mavic 117 that came standard on the 2010 Anthem X3.

They aren't the heaviest rims around. They're pretty nice actually. You really don't need to get better rims unless you're planning on getting heavy into racing.

The reason why they feel heavy is because of the liners AND slime... normally a person chooses between the 2 because both add weight to your setup.

I converted the ones off my Anthem X3 by getting 2 Joe's conversion strips and some sealant.

Have a look at the videos on the Joe's website

It's super easy.

As for tyres... if you ride on predominantly dry surfaces you won't go wrong with a Maxxis Monorail in front and Crossmark at the back.

Kenda Nevegals are popular if you're looking for a bit more grip, but beware, they are heavy.

A tubeless setup just rolls so much better than a tubed setup. You'll think you have a new bike after doing the conversion.

As a side note. Get yourself a proper pressure gauge and inflate to 25 - 35psi depending on your riding style.

Moet jy die UST weergawe van die Maxxis Monorail gebruik, of gebruik jy die standaard een?

Edited by Breezer

Moet jy die UST weergawe van die Maxxis Monorail gebruik, of gebruik jy die standaard een?

Ja, jy kry 'n LUST. Was op special vir R350 onlangs

Edited by KnobbyMech

T-girl

My advice: (1) Save some money and go for the Ghetto tubeless set-up (even ask fir bike shop guys to do it for you??/ Or a willing Hubber nearby? ;) - Zonker :) he takes payment in biltong :clap:

Just pull round when you're ready and we can both get an education in tubeless conversion! :lol:

on the topic does any1 have some old tubless tires laying around that they dont want ?? i want to do a conversion to get the feel of it even if they are worn out it doesnt matter.

Shew.. this is confusing.. you..

OK, For once I'd say , these are facts. just do it ;) Ive been doing this for 10 years and have read a hundred of these threads.

Your wheels/rims are fine, dont bother getting new ones.

those tireliners you are running at the moment weigh a tonne so dont bother you wont go heavier.

Get a Continental Raceking 2.2 UST for the rear and a Non UST "foldable" Continental Mountainking 2.2' on the front

Gathering from your Photo you dont weigh enough to justify having to get a "tubeless" in front and rear, It saves bucks and is lighter.

These tires will definately work in your area they are tried and tested.

Go to your Local Bike Shop, ask them for those tires and to use conversion strips, doesnt matter what kind, If they do the "ghetto tubeless" Martin is talking about then get it, its cheaper but they will probably not. Doing it yourself is a bit of a mission if youre not technically minded.

It is a little bit of an expense initially but you keep these "strips" for long and the tires will last you 18 months easy