Tubeless tyres

T-girl

hey T-girl

I converted to tubeless after accidentally buying a tubeless tyre. I am now "converted".

there was a bit of trial and error on my side cause I didnt want to buy specific rim-strips or special tape that didnt look particularly special. in the end a duct tape and tubeless valve combo seems to be working. costs were duct tape - 30 bucks, american classic tubeless valves (R150 for 2) and sealant (about R150 for a big bottle of joes.) i probably would have used the bmx tyre method but i couldnt find any with presta valves and the standard car tyre type valves are too fat for the rim.

check out youtube for some vids. I would pump them to a bar or so more than your normal pressure to do a bit of a stress test.

and remember, you wont be able to pop the tyres in place without a bomb or compressed air or something.

@ Matty, some people use non tubeless tyres in a tubeless system to save weight etc. why dont you try it - worst case you waste a bomb and some sealant cause the tyre doesnt seat properly

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shew.. this is confusing.. you..

OK, For once I'd say , these are facts. just do it ;) Ive been doing this for 10 years and have read a hundred of these threads.

Your wheels/rims are fine, dont bother getting new ones.

those tireliners you are running at the moment weigh a tonne so dont bother you wont go heavier.

Get a Continental Raceking 2.2 UST for the rear and a Non UST "foldable" Continental Mountainking 2.2' on the front

Gathering from your Photo you dont weigh enough to justify having to get a "tubeless" in front and rear, It saves bucks and is lighter.

These tires will definately work in your area they are tried and tested.

Go to your Local Bike Shop, ask them for those tires and to use conversion strips, doesnt matter what kind, If they do the "ghetto tubeless" Martin is talking about then get it, its cheaper but they will probably not. Doing it yourself is a bit of a mission if youre not technically minded.

It is a little bit of an expense initially but you keep these "strips" for long and the tires will last you 18 months easy

Thanks for the input Bos!

Am just a bit confused; are you saying I mustn't buy UST tyres? Just convert 'non-tubeless' tyres?

Sorry; I get confused easily! :unsure:

Am just a bit confused; are you saying I mustn't buy UST tyres? Just convert 'non-tubeless' tyres?

thats because youre blonde :lol:

Watch it FishEagle!

I've got guns you can't imagine!!!

:whistling:

yeah yeah..remember Ive SEEN those 'guns'...if you can call them that... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guys Be nice.

Use a Ust tire on the back, the rear tire takes a lot more impact. a Race king, its a nice light UST tire and rolls fast

the front get a non Ust. Its more than safe, trust me, just tell the bikeshop I said so, haha. If youve never had a puncture Its quite obvious you dont abuse tires. get the Mountain king 2.2 in front, more traction.

Ive been riding non UST in front for 3 years, no problems. It'll be fine for you, just keep the pressure above 2 bar.

Guys Be nice.

Use a Ust tire on the back, the rear tire takes a lot more impact. a Race king, its a nice light UST tire and rolls fast

the front get a non Ust. Its more than safe, trust me, just tell the bikeshop I said so, haha. If youve never had a puncture Its quite obvious you dont abuse tires. get the Mountain king 2.2 in front, more traction.

Ive been riding non UST in front for 3 years, no problems. It'll be fine for you, just keep the pressure above 2 bar.

Dont stress Bos, we're good mates..just sparring :thumbup:

I think your advice is good though, but I must admit i prefer tubeless all round, and i dont weigh much more than T - Girl. Just cant be faffed with tubes if i can avoid it. T, you have some SERIOUS thinking to do with all the advice here...good luck deciding! :)

I concur with Bos. If you don't want to take chances, get the Conti Protection Mountain King2.2

Protection is lighter than Tubeless. And cheaper.

I ride a Protection Race King at the back. I abuse tyres, and I'm impressed with this baby.

What ever you do, don't get the maxxis Crossmark/monorail combo. The people that like these don't like having traction in the corners. And they suck in the wet.

Method of tubeless depends on your store. I use the sealing rim tape that you stick on the rim combined with a tubeless valve method. By far the cheapest, and it works brilliantly.

Dont stress Bos, we're good mates..just sparring :thumbup:

I think your advice is good though, but I must admit i prefer tubeless all round, and i dont weigh much more than T - Girl. Just cant be faffed with tubes if i can avoid it. T, you have some SERIOUS thinking to do with all the advice here...good luck deciding! :)

Cool bro, no stress. Shame I was only trying to make it more simple for her. Ive got lots of friends (girls and mates) who start riding and they dont want all the tech talk, just, "what must I ask the guy at the shop" ?

As for the none UST in front, Its up to her, but really not a nessity. The only time the UST will help you get less punctures are the sidewalls, and If youre not going to be bombing through headsize limestone rocks, I recon youre safe. In face I do and Ive probably not had 2 punctuers the last 2 years :blush:.

The monorail and Crossmark work fine down here in the cape. they dont grip that well in lose stuff, but not that bad. The gravel is "gritty" and course down here, so even in the winter it doenst get to slick, only the roots do, but you cant do much about them. As for cornering grip, I'll take a easy rolling tire which might save me 20 minutes over 100km rather than a grippy tire that will save me a total of 30 seconds through the 20 lose corners one might find along the way.

Buy Yes, This counts down here in the cape mainly.

looking at fish eagles and bos's posts i think there's a little miscommunication. correct me if I'm wrong, but bos you are saying run the front tubeless, but dont get the tubeless specific tyre - the one with the thicker sidewall etc etc.

looking at fish eagles and bos's posts i think there's a little miscommunication. correct me if I'm wrong, but bos you are saying run the front tubeless, but dont get the tubeless specific tyre - the one with the thicker sidewall etc etc.

correct.

sheesh this is harder to get right than I thought :blush:

correct.

sheesh this is harder to get right than I thought :blush:

But get the tubeless specific tyre for the back??

But get the tubeless specific tyre for the back??

Not necessary, Im changing over from full UST Conti to normal folding Conti tyres.

Not necessary, Im changing over from full UST Conti to normal folding Conti tyres.

Oh goodness, Its folks for strokes, but I ride back Ust, Front normal, In my opinion I dont want to take chances.. But then again its a opinion, so is everyone's..oh hell and here we go..:P

Thats the problem with Threads, on fofums, Its just opinions, not so much facts. In not saying It wont work, But I have had sidewall cuts on the rear because the rear wheel takes more punishment (unless you cant lift the front :D)

Its up to you T- girl..

Oh, And can I have some coffe now?

:blink:

uuuuuh...this sounds UBER complicated!

Lets bear in mind that my bike-mechanic-skills are pretty poor. Ok very poor! Like; when I (sometimes) clean my bike (properly) and remove the back wheel I battle to get it back on! :o

:blush:

T-Gril go to your LBS and ask them for the best price on them doing the conversion "if needed" I know down here in the Cape we get some good deals on conversions sometimes they even charge cheaper than what you would have paid just for the two tires.

Choosing rubber is a very personal decision.

some of the most popular combo's

Conti Race king Rear / Mountain king Front Grippy and tough as nails high rolling resistance due to soft rubber compount.

Geax Mezcal / Sugaro Loved by racing snakes Medium grip medium resistance

Schwalbe Racing Ralph / rocket Ron Grippy high rolling resistance

Maxxis Crossmark / monorail low rolling resistance with little grip.

Oh goodness, Its folks for strokes, but I ride back Ust, Front normal, In my opinion I dont want to take chances.. But then again its a opinion, so is everyone's..oh hell and here we go..:P

Thats the problem with Threads, on fofums, Its just opinions, not so much facts. In not saying It wont work, But I have had sidewall cuts on the rear because the rear wheel takes more punishment (unless you cant lift the front :D)

Its up to you T- girl..

Oh, And can I have some coffe now?

Yes, go have coffee!

Then come back and give me more advice! ;)