First Ascent - Service thats hard to come by Nowdays

cyberaver

I purchase a bib from Sportsmans Warehouse in December which started to come loose at the seams some 3 weeks later.

I returned the bib to Sportsmans who took my details and promised to send it off to First Ascent for inspection / repair.

3 Weeks later I got a call to say my bib was back and popped up to the store to fetch it. No charge, repaired.

SO off I went happy to have my bib back and no charge for the fix.

When I got home I discovered that both seams were still not fixed and in fact the bib was as I sent it in. So miffed at myself for not checking and not even attempting a try two with Sportsmans I emailed First Ascent to see if I could send it direct.

Now forgive my naivety, I didn’t know that first ascent offers repairs / replacements on their gear. I just didn’t want to get screwed with a piece of gear that failed after maybe 10 rides

But on getting my mail, they apologized for the screw up (not theirs but they apologized anyway), sent their courier to collect the bib from my house (wow) and then after checking the bib, sent me a replacement, all free of charge to me (wow wow wow)

After that experience I think the guys at First ascent deserve a firm nod of approval for great customer care and service. You probably won’t find me in another manufacturers gear unless something drastic changes

I Had the same experience with First Ascent. My cycle jacket had a broken zip, after I had it for about 3 years. They replaced my jacket. What can say but wow too. It is great to see a company stand behind their product no matter what. Buy First Ascent.

good to hear, been considering getting a new pair of bibs from them, sounds like it's settled.

Somehow CapeStorm seems to get all the attention, but they both make excellent products. I also think first Ascent (note the little f) support a LOT of races with gear for goody bags. I'm going to try their mtb socks next

Funny that you mention the bibshorts coming apart, I also bought from Sportsmans Warehouse and after a few weeks also found that they were coming apart. Genius that I am though I had lost the receipt,and paid cash so no chance of changing them. Saying that I do own the jackets and regular cycling shorts and besides the bib problem their quality is very good

The first Ascent MTB socks are magic! Will never buy a pair of Falke's again for riding. SteveCT, you will like, trust me :) They are so soft and comfortable.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here is my story.

I own two pairs of FA bibs that I bought a month apart from each other. I did about 7000km with the two pairs. The shammies started seperating. Not from the shorts but the padding material came loose from the sponge. So I send FA some pics and asked them if it was normal. They asked if I could send it to them either directly or via a bike shop. SO I decided to send it with SPedd Services.

Well on Saturday I got a call from them saying that they will courier two prand new pairs to me free of charge.

Now that is service and makes me want to buy more of their products.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the awesome feedback...

Some people behind the scenes work very hard to make this happen.

And please remember that valid feedback on product is what ultimately makes it better.

Bottom line is the experts in Cape Town will need to look at the product as technical designs can be ruined by improper care. My advice is if you have a problem with a FA item return it to the store you purchased it from and see what happens. You cannot please everyone but some people will always keep trying.

Off Topic, but what is the deal with Cape Storm being bought by FA? Is it so and what will happen to the brands?

Wish I could same the same about thee service. Bought a hydration backpack that was advertised on the website and on receiving it it had different straps etc. took it back to FA and spoke to Mike ... This was on the 9 th Jan. I have had to follow up several times and promised communication and feedback which has not happened. Very disappointed as I do enjoy the brand ... So my experience has not been good.