Compact Cranks

Broker

What is the latest news on Compact Cranks - I was told today that Shimano and Campaq will convert all their new models to compacts. Does anybody know if this is correct.

Is there any benefit or negative in using compacts

I think thats a wild rumour. The pros are running 53 / 11 gearing, so unless the can provide a 10 sprocket at the rear, i doubt they will get rid of standard cranks. Even if they went down to a 10 at the back, some pros would just say thank you very much and run with a 53 / 10.

I've got a 50 / 34, and too embarassed to tell you what i have at the back. Lets just say that i spend quite a bit of time spinning.

I've got a 50 / 34' date=' and too embarassed to tell you what i have at the back. Lets just say that i spend quite a bit of time spinning. [/quote']

Hey, if it works for you...that's all that counts!Smile

Compact cranks is the future. More and more PROS are using compacts in the mountains of the major tours. Sure, the sprinters will always go for the regular cranks on the flatter stages, but trust me when those roads go up, they will most likely be on compacts.

My 2c worth.

I enquired from my LBS about going compact and he called me a lazy git and chased me out his shop.

I enquired from my LBS about going compact and he called me a lazy git and chased me out his shop.

Was that after he realised that he had lost the sale of the Record cranks to you then?

I love my compact cranks, and only sometimes wish I had a 53 upfront when I am charging with the elites in the last few kilometres at 60+km/h...... oh sorry that was somebody else I was confusing myself with.

Also converted to a compact crank and it is the best upgrade I have done. It is great for races like D2D and Race for Victory and any race with Hekpoort in it. I am running a 50/34 with ether a 12-23 or 12-25. I would not mind a 26 or 27 for the more hilly races. I am a MTBer missing his granny gear.Embarrassed   <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Pros:

Lighter than a standard crank.

Better spread of gear ratios. You can cycle up hills while other are pushing there bikes up.

Cons:

You may run out of speed at the top end due to 50.  My experience as been by the time I hit any down hill where I run out of speed I simply go in to an aero tuck.  So if you are not a sprinter it should not be a problem.