What to do when a dodgy character cycles past you on a 50K bike

Bike Lore

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• You adopt the attitude of N.M.P(Not My Problem) and ignore it
    • You follow him from a distance and attempt to call the cops while you tail him
    • Chase him down and tell him to stop and then you grab his front brake HARD at 40km/h.... and return the bike to the race....

Guest agteros

So... you need to dress appropriately when using expensive equipment?

No wearing slops, pt-short and torn & greasy t-shirt when visiting your private banker, driving an expensive car / bicycle / walking down a 'larney' street?

I know of non-shady people/characters but who do not fit certain preconceived ideas of who should have money / how tose with money should look or dress that bought expensive cars CASH

Never judge a book by its cover!

How will I be judged if I turn the scenario around, and wear an overall while cycling a back pedal brake dikwiel in the 94.7? Is THAT ok?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So... you need to dress appropriately when using expensive equipment?

No wearing slops, pt-short and torn & greasy t-shirt when visiting your private banker, driving an expensive car / bicycle / walking down a 'larney' street?

I know of non-shady people/characters but who do not fit certain preconceived ideas of who should have money / how tose with money should look or dress that bought expensive cars CASH

Never judge a book by its cover!

How will I be judged if I turn the scenario around, and wear an overall while cycling a back pedal brake dikwiel in the 94.7? Is THAT ok?

Come now, climb out the little bubble you are living in. Its about making a judgment, same as the cops would have to do.

This is a rather disturbing thread!!

(1) Not too many of you gives a sh!t!! about stolen bikes. I sincerly hope it does not happen to you....

(2) You would rather not get involved...Well, way to go!! Typical SAffrican...

(3) "it probably insured" is no reason not to take action or to look the other way!

don't be part of the problem - be part of the solution!

You are welcome to get shot/stabbed while trying to recover a R50K bike for the insurance company. They will appreciate your effort and I am sure they will thank you. Pity they won't pay your hospital bills, I doubt that is covered in the insurer's policy, I don't recall reading a section with the heading "Heroes"

Guest agteros

Come now, climb out the little bubble you are living in. Its about making a judgment, same as the cops would have to do.

and preconceived ideas which I am challenging. But then, people do not like their preconceived ideas challenged as it make the whole stack of cards/lies they've built their ideas on tumble down.

In my bubble there is place for people not looking the part of their equipment / circumstances. Is there place for such in yours?

You are welcome to get shot/stabbed while trying to recover a R50K bike for the insurance company. They will appreciate your effort and I am sure they will thank you. Pity they won't pay your hospital bills, I doubt that is covered in the insurer's policy, I don't recall reading a section with the heading "Heroes"

If you know where the guy lives or works or you see him commute the same route all the time then that is a different story, you can notify the cops and hope they actually follow up.

open your survival kit, use the mirror to blind him so he falls off, and score yourself a bargain?

Edit. I realise that technique would work on anyone for any bike.

lol.. i see what u did there.. :P

and preconceived ideas which I am challenging. But then, people do not like their preconceived ideas challenged as it make the whole stack of cards/lies they've built their ideas on tumble down.

In my bubble there is place for people not looking the part of their equipment / circumstances. Is there place for such in yours?

If something looks out of place then I will question it, I'm sure no one goes around stopping all & sundry on their way home cause some "dodgy guy" is riding a bike. Its about making a decisionand then being safe within that choice. Gosh, even to maybe ask for directions from the "dodgy person"

Im sure being educated enough, you could tell if something didnt look or seem right.

This is not a race issue, its about stolen bikes. Maybe if everyone got a little more involved in their communities then things would start to change a little bit at a time.

Guest agteros

If something looks out of place then I will question it, I'm sure no one goes around stopping all & sundry on their way home cause some "dodgy guy" is riding a bike. Its about making a decisionand then being safe within that choice. Gosh, even to maybe ask for directions from the "dodgy person"

Im sure being educated enough, you could tell if something didnt look or seem right.

This is not a race issue, its about stolen bikes. Maybe if everyone got a little more involved in their communities then things would start to change a little bit at a time.

yeah yeah yeah Broken windows and all of that. But I do not see a broken window. I see a preconceived idea of what is normal, and the unwillingness of having that challenged.

Why not rather take it up directly with the person/cyclist involved? Oh, and please stop and question all the 500K+ cars with drivers not wearing long sleeved lounge shirts.

yeah yeah yeah Broken windows and all of that. But I do not see a broken window. I see a preconceived idea of what is normal, and the unwillingness of having that challenged.

Why not rather take it up directly with the person/cyclist involved? Oh, and please stop and question all the 500K+ cars with drivers not wearing long sleeved lounge shirts.

And what about the guys at the car wash wearing shorts, t-shirts and slops? The one's in the Lambos and the Ferraris

What tangent are you going off on? :huh: I wonder what would have happened if the three blokes driving their fancy Merc, armed to the teeth, clearly on their way to commit a robbery or kill someone, had nnot been stopped.

Its about making an informed decision based on the facts available to you at the time. Gosh next time I'll just ignore everything and live my life with blinkers on, cause everything is perfect.

Edited by Caerus

Hannes, I trust you are just testing our responses to this hypothetical scenario, which you have randomly selected, and that you have not experienced this in real life. However, if you have actually seen a dude riding a bike which he has obviously scaled minutes before, and you choose to rather consult with hubbers without lifting a finger, I am going to be really pissed at you! Please lower my blood pressure to an accepable level and tell as that you are only joking and that you have never in your life experienced this yourself!

Guest agteros

What tangent are you going off on? :huh:

You brought 'community involvement' into the fold.... Surely you know of Rudy Giuliani and the broken windows theory? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

and... why stop at expensive bicycles and riders who according to you do not belong on them...

Better look at the expensive cars...

Heck, maybe even knock on all the 15MIL+ masions around, and demand a full explanation if the bell is not answered by a butler!

Hannes, I trust you are just testing our responses to this hypothetical scenario, which you have randomly selected, and that you have not experienced this in real life. However, if you have actually seen a dude riding a bike which he has obviously scaled minutes before, and you choose to rather consult with hubbers without lifting a finger, I am going to be really pissed at you! Please lower my blood pressure to an accepable level and tell as that you are only joking and that you have never in your life experienced this yourself!

Why would you be pissed though, it seems its not the right thing to do.

You brought 'community involvement' into the fold.... Surely you know of Rudy Giuliani and the broken windows theory? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

and... why stop at expensive bicycles and riders who according to you do not belong on them...

Better look at the expensive cars...

Heck, maybe even knock on all the 15MIL+ masions around, and demand a full explanation if the bell is not answered by a butler!

Yeah, yeah - You can continue to live in your perfect little world, looking through rose coloured glasses, where no crime exists.

this is a tough one:

most times, when u see a dodgy thing, it's always marginal, a 'feeling' of something just dont look quite right. but u more than likely on your way somewhere, so that feeling comes and goes in a flash.

The cops also work on this gut instinct, but it's honed by years of experience dealing with sketchy types, and it's their job to stop and go investigate.

In any society, everyone has a right, if not duty to check out something sketchy, if they have the means: means meaning time, inclination and capability.

Take a good look, make sure u can remember what u saw. Write it down, use your mobile to make a voice recording (one of my fav apps when trying to recall a new and nice song i just heard over the radio), or better still, take a snap shot. Failing any of those, let someone else knows that can do something about it. But their efforts toward success will be contingent upon the information provided them.

My 2c.