The Mast route profile

greenhorn

no...but be ready for a loooooong climb to the top, whatever you do....don't ever get off and push otherwise you must start at the entry gate again cause then you failed! hehe! I always cycle up there, coming down at 75km/h+

• 4 weeks later...

I know the record has been set on a road bike with cross country wheels. Can the ascent be done on a standard road bike with slicks? I've yet to check out the route...

Darren Lill rode it in 37 mins or so with a road bike on cyclocross wheels back in 2007 or 2008 in the Mast Challenge.

You can ride it on a road bike with standard wheels - I wouldn't do it myself though, the bottom used to be smoother when this was done, but now there are two sections that are way more rocky than they used to be.

You would be better off on a rigid forked 29er on mtb slicks.

Thanks. Might head over and take a look this weekend for myself. Don't have a 29er and can't lockout the front fork on my MTB. Worried about wasting a lot of energy through that front shock. Hence the road bike/slicks query.

I rode it quite recently and there is one section that I think would trash a road bike tbh. Just too rocky, I battled on the mtb :lol:

• 6 months later...

Hi

You can do a route profile yourself on Google Earth - will have to look again & see how you do it - generally- first you need measure and mark the route with the ruler, then save it and you can generate the profile.

My 10c worth on the slicks - the tar will be OK but the resct of the descent will be lethal - I find a full supension bike skittish thru' that 1st rocky section - I guess that once you start to lose with slicks it you will have nothing on the edge of the tyres regain grip & help recover control.....