Cycling to work

RossW

my question is where do you guys leave your bikes? i work in bedford centre office tower high up in the building and i dont have a clue where it would be safe to leave my bike?

Track down the building\facilities manager and find out what's available. Plenty of dead space in buildings like this. You might even get lucky and find some lockers pre-built and not utilised. Last resort is it parks behind\next to your desk. Makes an interesting conversation piece that way.

I park mine in the server room at our office. (Controlled access. Helps that I already have access to this anyway)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

West Beach to Mowbray. If I'm only commuting I leave between 6 - 6:30 depending on how long it takes to get my kids up and starting their day and prevailing wind conditions. If it's a longer ride, it depends on the distance I'm looking to do. From 4:30 - 5:30 and usually to top of Chappies or Llandudno from West Beach and back to Mowbray.

I have 3 sets of work shoes that NEVER come home. Undies get rides in and out every alternate day, along with work socks in the back pocket of cycling top. Never ride with a backpack. Ask colleagues who live in similar area to ferry clothes in and out and fetch from their place locally later to get around backpack. When I pick up a load I give them a new clean batch. Company I worked for when I first started commuting had a dry cleaning service come to the office. That was very convenient. Put most items that go into pockets into sealed plastic bags. Safe from sweat and\or rain should the weather change.

In the 10 years I've been at it, I've worked out the following. When you're out on the roads on your own, always maintain eye contact with people around you. It's amazing what looking someone in the eye will do towards their behaviour and regard of you on the road (More so when you smile!). Especially when you're approaching intersections and the inpatient crew are trying to force their way in, often in front of you. Wave as you approach and LOOK them in the eye. Show them that you are watching them and get them to acknowledge you. Whenever ANYONE makes space for you or waits for you to cross anywhere, thank them. Go ahead and thank them twice! They smile and continue to do it when they see you in the traffic in the following days when you pass by them. USE hand signals. Motorists appreciate when they know what you're trying to get up to. Pull faces at kids in cars that are heading towards school. They'll laugh and do the same. You'll end up laughing and enjoying the ride more too. Ride strategically. Get to know the route and when to ride on the shoulder and when to move between the traffic so as to minimise your risk. Be considerate.

I'm a bit of a freak so I chat to people with open windows moving along at the same pace as me. Whatever the weather and day, I always say, "Good morning, What a lekka day for a bike ride eh?" The responses make it worth saying. More lekka when people travelling the same route and time start to recognise you and gesture goodmorning. Turn it into something that's fun and you'll keep doing it, even when the luss is poked and you really don't feel like it.

:clap:

i could ask tony impey if i can leave it in his shop but i feel a bit rude, and i hate taking advantage. i am on one of the top floors and really dont want to take it in the lift with me!

I try to leave as much as possible at the office. If it wasn't for commuting I'd probably no longer cycle, since I don't have the time otherwise to stay cycling fit on top of running and swimming, and now surfing ... o ja, and spending time with the family of course ;-)

I live 30km from work and ride in cycling kit. I usually put cloths in my backpack, or if I'm really organised I take extra clothes and leave them at work the day before (at least shoes because they are bulky). I then shower at work. If its short enough, I would still wear cycling gear, and just not shower... use a face cloth to clean yrself off, lotsa deodorant, and get changed into work stuff...

I do it 4 days a week and use friday as my rest day.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by Ab 1

Started commuting this week due to the car being at the shop. Absolutely loved it! Playing with Taxis and soccer-moms in their Volvos :thumbdown: . Beating the traffic up a hill :clap:

Only problem with my occasional commuting to work is that I cannot wait to get out and on the bike for my ride back home....sit and stare at the bike almost the entire day!! Very distracting!!! :clap: :clap:

Only problem with my occasional commuting to work is that I cannot wait to get out and on the bike for my ride back home....sit and stare at the bike almost the entire day!! Very distracting!!! :clap: :clap:

I leave my bike at another open desk elsewhere in the office. Otherwise I have the same problem

Commuting FTW :clap: :clap: :clap:

Been doing it since I went to palma walked +- 11km each day, now im back and been riding or walking ever since its only 3kms so work clothes for me :thumbup:

I am seriously considering it...+-40km everyday, have a shower at work, will just take clothes everyday to work. I can also save about R1200 on fuel and no traffic! Will take me about 30-45min to work and same time back :P

Maybe will use my MTB instead as i have slime in my tubeless tires

There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!

Have had some of my most enjoyable rides in the rain. I leave a spare set of cycling kit at the office for when it rains. All my bits going in the back pockets are in ziplock type plastic bags, so it stays dry. Mates who do this through winter with me down in CT and use backpacks put the other bits in plastic bags before putting them in the backpack.

Traffic is usually even more backed up, so it becomes an even bigger pleasure being on the bike!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I also do about 5km. Luckily, I work in shorts and a T-shirt, so that's what I wear. I use yesterday's T-shirt to ride to work, then I change into a clean shirt from my backpack when I get to the office. On a really good summer's day, I'll just ride in a vest. On a really, really good summer's day, I just take my shirt off and cruise. Sooooo lekker.

Smart. :clap: