Cycling to work

RossW

i been thinking about doing this. I stay close to Tyger Valley....work just behind Century City in Milnerton. Will be about a 20km cycle in and 20km cycle back....I drive a hour to work everyday and about a hour back :(

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to cycle from Centurion to Sandton City but was fortunate to have a shower at the office . Like Mamapara I took stuff with car in on Monday and return stuff on friday . But now our new office still got no shower (building one) .

I live about 20km from work and commute on some days that I won't need my car to go out to suppliers / meetings. Ride in normal clothes, Baggies & T shirt, cause I have more old tshirts and baggies than I have cycling tops and tights...

I shower at work, otherwise I wouldn't do it. I sweat way too much just to put on a clean shirt.

Only thing that sucks is if I need to take my computer, that's heavy, a risk should one fall and a potential hi-jack target, but haven't had any issues yet.

Good luck!

Where you commuting to?

West Beach to Mowbray. If I'm only commuting I leave between 6 - 6:30 depending on how long it takes to get my kids up and starting their day and prevailing wind conditions. If it's a longer ride, it depends on the distance I'm looking to do. From 4:30 - 5:30 and usually to top of Chappies or Llandudno from West Beach and back to Mowbray.

I have 3 sets of work shoes that NEVER come home. Undies get rides in and out every alternate day, along with work socks in the back pocket of cycling top. Never ride with a backpack. Ask colleagues who live in similar area to ferry clothes in and out and fetch from their place locally later to get around backpack. When I pick up a load I give them a new clean batch. Company I worked for when I first started commuting had a dry cleaning service come to the office. That was very convenient. Put most items that go into pockets into sealed plastic bags. Safe from sweat and\or rain should the weather change.

In the 10 years I've been at it, I've worked out the following. When you're out on the roads on your own, always maintain eye contact with people around you. It's amazing what looking someone in the eye will do towards their behaviour and regard of you on the road (More so when you smile!). Especially when you're approaching intersections and the inpatient crew are trying to force their way in, often in front of you. Wave as you approach and LOOK them in the eye. Show them that you are watching them and get them to acknowledge you. Whenever ANYONE makes space for you or waits for you to cross anywhere, thank them. Go ahead and thank them twice! They smile and continue to do it when they see you in the traffic in the following days when you pass by them. USE hand signals. Motorists appreciate when they know what you're trying to get up to. Pull faces at kids in cars that are heading towards school. They'll laugh and do the same. You'll end up laughing and enjoying the ride more too. Ride strategically. Get to know the route and when to ride on the shoulder and when to move between the traffic so as to minimise your risk. Be considerate.

I'm a bit of a freak so I chat to people with open windows moving along at the same pace as me. Whatever the weather and day, I always say, "Good morning, What a lekka day for a bike ride eh?" The responses make it worth saying. More lekka when people travelling the same route and time start to recognise you and gesture goodmorning. Turn it into something that's fun and you'll keep doing it, even when the luss is poked and you really don't feel like it.

i been thinking about doing this. I stay close to Tyger Valley....work just behind Century City in Milnerton. Will be about a 20km cycle in and 20km cycle back....I drive a hour to work everyday and about a hour back :(

It's for this reason that I commute. The drive takes an hour plus in traffic. Depending on wind and effort I can do it in 35 to 55 miuntes. I've given myself 2 hours of my life back everyday I commute, because I don't have to find the time elsewhere in my day to do it. Oh and I saved some petrol bucks, get to spend more time with my kids and stay fitter.

Edited by Tubehunter

I really like the bonus of getting fit while doing the "commute". Nothing like sitting in traffic for even 30 minutes knowing that you now have 30 minutes less of riding time in the afternoon! Makes my blood boil :angry:.

It's for this reason that I commute. The drive takes an hour plus in traffic. Depending on wind and effort I can do it in 35 to 55 miuntes. I've given myself 2 hours of my life back everyday I commute, because I don't have to find the time elsewhere in my day to do it. Oh and I saved some petrol bucks, get to spend more time with my kids and stay fitter.

Well said as this is what commuting is all about. Next month is 2yrs that I've been commuting and its been the best two years of my life.

Have no false belief that commuting will save you money (as the cash goes back into your bike :) ) but it will have other side effects that money cannot buy - better health.

Last month I switched to panniers as my Camelbak was cuasing some kneck pain when overloaded. I orignally turned and old rugsack into a pannier (still work in progress) and also bought a new pannier off CRC (R350 with taxes and delivery). Best move ever.

With panniers I can now stop at my local Spar and buy bread and milk on my way home. I can now do more than just commuting with my bike now - earlier this month I took some parcels in my bag to the post office in my pannier bag, did some shopping at Pick 'n Pay, etc

One thing about panniers is to either use those wet-safe bags inside your pannier or get one with a rain cover (the CRC one has a rain cover and got an opportunity to test in a freak storm as few weeks back). My Camelback Scudo has a rain cover and it helps a lot in winter.

Also get yourself a descent U-Lock, ordered mine from Take2 and should arrive soon (R445 all incl) - its a Kryptonite U-Lock with a 4 foot cable. Having a good lock makes it easier to pop into stores.

Also remember the commuting-code, eye contact, always smile and always say hi. Don't be afraid to stop and talk to locals - I got my regulars who I greet each morning and one old guy that I always stop and chat with.

Its a life changer but its great fun.

I commute with a colleague from Randburg to Midrand (about 33km each way) as training for an upcoming expedition race. Only once or twice a week at present but to be increased to 3 times soon. Everything goes into a dry-bag inside my backpack (don't really mind the weight as it's good training). Showers at work are out of commission so I just have a good wipe-down with a wet face cloth. People at work don't like it when I sling my bibs over my chair back to dry. I can't imagine why....

Edited by vroommm

I commute with a colleague from Randburg to Midrand (about 33km each way) as training for an upcoming expedition race. Only once or twice a week at present but to be increased to 3 times soon. Everything goes into a dry-bag inside my backpack (don't really mind the weight as it's good training). Showers at work are out of commission so I just have a good wipe-down with a wet face cloth. People at work don't like it when I sling my bibs over my chair back to dry. I can't imagine why....

LOL ... at our office we have 3 commuters

my question is where do you guys leave your bikes? i work in bedford centre office tower high up in the building and i dont have a clue where it would be safe to leave my bike?

In the 10 years I've been at it, I've worked out the following. When you're out on the roads on your own, always maintain eye contact with people around you. It's amazing what looking someone in the eye will do towards their behaviour and regard of you on the road (More so when you smile!). Especially when you're approaching intersections and the inpatient crew are trying to force their way in, often in front of you. Wave as you approach and LOOK them in the eye. Show them that you are watching them and get them to acknowledge you. Whenever ANYONE makes space for you or waits for you to cross anywhere, thank them. Go ahead and thank them twice! They smile and continue to do it when they see you in the traffic in the following days when you pass by them. USE hand signals. Motorists appreciate when they know what you're trying to get up to. Pull faces at kids in cars that are heading towards school. They'll laugh and do the same. You'll end up laughing and enjoying the ride more too. Ride strategically. Get to know the route and when to ride on the shoulder and when to move between the traffic so as to minimise your risk. Be considerate.

I'm a bit of a freak so I chat to people with open windows moving along at the same pace as me. Whatever the weather and day, I always say, "Good morning, What a lekka day for a bike ride eh?" The responses make it worth saying. More lekka when people travelling the same route and time start to recognise you and gesture goodmorning. Turn it into something that's fun and you'll keep doing it, even when the luss is poked and you really don't feel like it.

I used to commute quite a bit on the bike both in JHB and when I lived in the Isle of Man - This is a great attitude to have and should be laid out as one of the Golden Rules of Commuting !

Hey,

I've done a search and can't find the answer to my question thus I pose it to the hubbers.

I live 5km from work and it annoys the hell out of me that I drive the distance. Leaving the cost of petrol out of this; the cost through wear and tear of starting and "warming" the car on the drive means that it does not reach it's efficient temperature before I have arrived - 7 mins in heavy traffic :clap:

So the question to those who cycle to work:

What do you wear to commute? I have a shower at work and I do at times do a long ride early then head straight to work so naturally I'll be in riding clothes. But those days when I just want to ride to work and back - what does one wear?

Work clothes. Just cycle at a slow pace, enjoy the ride and get to work relaxed?

my question is where do you guys leave your bikes? i work in bedford centre office tower high up in the building and i dont have a clue where it would be safe to leave my bike?

I got access to a basement storeroom in the parking garage in our offices, that works out well.

Mine's behind my desk here in the office. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

And brilliant advice, Tubehunter.

Edited by LeTurbo

I live 60km from work and been toying with the idea of commuting, at least just once a week to start with. With a 120-130km round trip, I've been thinking about driving in to the office, leaving the car there, cycling home in the evening and then return on my bike the next morning. Depending how it goes, I can up the weekly frequency.

After reading this thread, I am now determined to stop the procrastinating and take the plunge. Weather permitting, Monday is the day!

Love this thread!