What wheel set

Lukep

My Easton EA 90 SLX wheelset has given in after I hit a fair sized pothole.

I am now in the market for a new wheelset and was looking for some opinions on wheels for about R8000 (brand new only,)

The wheels must be under 1500grams and must be clinchers.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldn't you get the same again?

You could also look at Fulcrum Racing 1 or Racing Zero @ CWC - Both R8000.00

Campy Shamal Ultra with Shimano freebody. Awesome wheel. Raced then for 3 seasons now including one season in Europe on the cobbled criteriums. Still as true and as solid as when I bought them. You even have the option of a true Grade 3 ceramic upgrade for about R1500 extra.

Edited by The_Break

Splat I liked the Eastons they were great but I recon if I can try a new wheelset then why not do it, I think the Shimanos have a lot to offer the best of Carbon and they are a 2 way fit so can run tubless as well and they are the same weight as the eastons, they just lack an aero profile.

The fullcrums are also on the list for sure, nice wheel set just worried about maintenance on them spokes are like R300 each from what I have heard,

Anyone got any experience with the

Shimano Dura-Ace Wheels C24 CL?

Like I said, I have them. They're about as good as you would expect from shimano's top of the range clincher. Very light (for a clinch), rock solid, absolutely no flex, very smooth braking and very free running hubs. Also, the carbon laminate (most of the other wheelsets recommended are all alu) means that you don't feel all the bumps in the road. This last aspect surprises me every time I put my training wheels on and get smashed by small potholes. I've put about 2000km on mine now, and they look like they just came off the shelf.

Promise you boet - you can't go wrong with these wheels and CWC has them at a killer price :thumbup: . Just don't go for the tubeless compatible version - adds unnecessary weight unless you're one of the 6 people on the planet that want to try road tubeless. The only thing to mention (if fashion is important to you), is that they have been around for a while and a new flashier model will problem come onto the market soon.

Edited by Bram_on_Madone

You have to go for tubeless! Try fulcrums 2 way fit. I recon tubeless is the way to go really, or at least something that givs yo that option. So your choices are really shimano cl24 tubeless fr fulcrum 1 or zeros.

i like it. No weight penalty, in fact I saved 40g on regular gp4000s tyres and tubes. With slime in them you a virtually puncture proof. Its like riding tubular without the tubular problems. If you do puncture simply put in a tube. Lower tyre pressures gives a more comforable ride and its now believed to impove rolling resistance.

It just feels better. And if you dont like tubeless, you have lost nothing because you can just pop on normal clinchers with no penalty.

Make's sense I ride tubless on my MTB and know that the benifts there are huge,

I normally ride with slime in my tubes on my road bike so and even that helps with less punctures etc!

Are the Shimano's tubless compatible?