Chain drop: SRAM X9 2x10

Chain-L

10 Speed FD set-up takes a little more care than 3X9.

It could be many things, cable tension, FD too high, deraileur not sitting properly aligned with the blades, even limits perhaps, but then again, you need a real mechanic to give advice.

10 Speed FD set-up takes a little more care than 3X9.

It could be many things, cable tension, FD too high, deraileur not sitting properly aligned with the blades, even limits perhaps, but then again, you need a real mechanic to give advice.

Or you really NEED to learn to DIY. :thumbup:

Or you really NEED to learn to DIY. :thumbup:

have a reasonable knowledge of bikes, but it will be stupid to play around with a brand new bike- the next thing you know, the supplier will say that you caused the problems!

I prefer the supplier's mechanic to do the tuning and if there is still a problem with it they will start replacing parts!

anyone else with a similar problem? Looks like it might be the FSA crank or RD tension that is to slack

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What is even funnier (and I also thought Chickenrun's comment is very funny :D) is an incident that happened to one of my buddies on the GR300 last weekend. Stopped at the 2nd water point and the person offering to lube his chain said to him: Wow your chain is so dry and squeaky, wat did you do with it? To which he replied (and he was telling no lie): I applied your lube 15km earlier...

Applicator was lost for words.

Edited by Chain-L

• 4 weeks later...

What is even funnier (and I also thought Chickenrun's comment is very funny :D) is an incident that happened to one of my buddies on the GR300 last weekend. Stopped at the 2nd water point and the person offering to lube his chain said to him: Wow your chain is so dry and squeaky, wat did you do with it? To which he replied (and he was telling no lie): I applied your lube 15km earlier...

Applicator was lost for words.

Both incidents are funny, especially since it took me a couple of minutes to figure out why Chicken's comment was considered funny.

I have already slapped myself on the forehead, please don't suggest it.

Now, as for your problem. It reallty sounds to me like you are describing a classic case of chainsuck. If I may paraphrase you. You describe a chain that doesn't release at the bottom where it exists the large chainring and instead, clings to the large chainring until it wraps around the chainring and jams against the FD's outer sideplate? If that is correct, you are describing chainsuck.

Strange thing is, chainsuck very seldom happens on large chainrings since the smaller the chainring, the larger the hook effect of the worn teeth. There's even a mathematical description for it - Cosine Error.

If I have to guess I'd say that.

1) The chainring is worn.

2) The chain is extremely dirty to the point where the teeth are forced into the chain as it enters the chainring. It is forced in so tight, that release at the bottom doesn't happen freely.

3) The chain is rusy and won't articulate probely.

A combination of the above presents the worse case scenario but any one of those factors singly, can cause chainsuck. Very sticky oil mixed with just a little bit of grit is known for that too.

Thanks jb. Bike has now done 400km. This happened 3 times since the first day i used the bike so none of the points can be a valid explanation.

Thanks jb. Bike has now done 400km. This happened 3 times since the first day i used the bike so none of the points can be a valid explanation.

Still sounds like the FD is too high.

Send tha picktcha!