Bike Storage Rack/Brackets

BigBoy10

How safe is it to hang the bike either MTB or road from those brackets that mount to the wall and you hang your bike from the front wheel? Does this damage the wheel in any way?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Thule 4 bike rack. Bought a R50 tow-hitch, put some wood behind to allow for spacing and bolted it to the wall.

Now I have storage space for the Thule and 4 bikes! ;)

How safe is it to hang the bike either MTB or road from those brackets that mount to the wall and you hang your bike from the front wheel? Does this damage the wheel in any way?

I would think that it puts added strain on the wheels pulling it oval and damaging it - like the guys whose carbon wheels de-laminated after hanging the bike off the front wheel. :blink:

I would rather hang it off the frame.

I would think that it puts added strain on the wheels pulling it oval and damaging it - like the guys whose carbon wheels de-laminated after hanging the bike off the front wheel. :blink:

I would rather hang it off the frame.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. It makes sense to hang it from the frame but finding wall space for 5 bikes (family total not all mine...!) is a problem. I don't have that much wall available! :lol: I like the Thule rack idea with all the bikes attached. Just financing it ... :huh:

Edited by Grebel

Grebel (or anyone else if he isnt interested) I have two of those fischer hooks for hanging the bike from its front wheel. They are brand new and still has its packaging attached.. If you collect or pay the postage you can have them. I am in the east of pretoria and work in town.

Grebel (or anyone else if he isnt interested) I have two of those fischer hooks for hanging the bike from its front wheel. They are brand new and still has its packaging attached.. If you collect or pay the postage you can have them. I am in the east of pretoria and work in town.

Hi Etienne, thanks for the offer but I am going to pass. I am worried about hanging the bike from the front wheel. I am going to investigate the frame hangers. I appreciate the offer though. If there is anybody else interested, please give Etienne a shout.

Thanks again mate.

Hi Etienne, thanks for the offer but I am going to pass. I am worried about hanging the bike from the front wheel. I am going to investigate the frame hangers. I appreciate the offer though. If there is anybody else interested, please give Etienne a shout.

Thanks again mate.

My pleasure. I agree that horizontal is better if you have the space.

post-2351-0-73637200-1299322158.jpgpost-2351-0-98680800-1299322184.jpgpost-2351-0-80458000-1299322204.jpgpost-2351-0-19778200-1299322251.jpgHi Guys

The timing is perfect for this topic. My bikes are my babies and get spoilt. my friends and team mates have benefited from the bike stands I made for my bikes and it seems like it is spreading like wild fire with orders coming in thick and fast. Some guys have pricey bikes and to display them properly with NO DAMAGE to frames from hanger stands etc. is important. My stands are all Aluminium with Titanium Bolts. Overkill I know but then so is having an expensive bike. Stands can be used for bike washing, bikes are completely stable in the stands and can be parked with front or rear wheel in stand. Stand can be interconnected at 45 degrees or 180 degrees to suit display / staorage needs. The stands acomodate road and 26" MTB wheels. The attached pics speak for themselves.

I am taking orders for the next batch of manufacturing so please email me if you are keen or I can send you the pics.

Cost of the Stands is R750 but then your baby does deserve a bit of bling!!

I made my own racks for keeping my bikes out the way. It is cheap and works very well if you have wall space.

I'll put up a pic or two if you like. All the bike weight sits on its own wheels so no scratching or damage to the bike.

• 1 year later...

What about the angle this creates on the shocks. Can any damage to shocks ( coil or air ) occur if you hang your bike like this? Thinking oil inside, seals etc.

I was also concerned about the strain on the rim, but they recon that is nothing to worry about.

post-2734-0-66441200-1353259952_thumb.jpg

post-2734-0-89927400-1353259975_thumb.jpg