Bike Storage Rack/Brackets

BigBoy10

Hi

I need some advice. Want to buy some brackets to bolt to the wall in my garage to hang my bikes on. Some mates have theirs pulled out exc, bikes scratched exc. Is one better or two? In your experience what works best

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i bought a rack from Linden cycles (cant remember what its called) works perfectly and uses four bolts to attach to the wall

But to prevent scratches (obvioulsy the rack is metal) I went to Mica and bought a roll sponge strip ( once again I cant remember what its called) that has adhesive on one side and used that to cover the arms where my bike sits. If im not mistaken these strips are used to waterproof doors etc and it comes in a 5 meter roll and cost about 40 bucks and it does the job perfectly

The 'Pro' brand comes out with a hanger that you mount your bike vertically in - i.e. you hook your front/back wheel into and the bikes hangs vertically on the wall.

Have three at home and they do the business - if you have crap old mudbricks in your old victorian house, fix the hanger to a big square of 22mm timber and fix the plank to wall. spreads the load and works a bomb...

bought mine at Builders Warehouse. HILTI product I think. go to the section where they sell the hooks. mounted 4 bikes (2 mtb & 2 road) vertically in the garage at a cost of less than R300. took me all of an hour. been up for 6 months and no issues.

bought mine at Builders Warehouse. HILTI product I think. go to the section where they sell the hooks. mounted 4 bikes (2 mtb & 2 road) vertically in the garage at a cost of less than R300. took me all of an hour. been up for 6 months and no issues.

Could be Hilti but it could also be Fischer, they are the guys who make the Fischer plugs for srewing into walls

old tubes over metal bars to prevent scratches.

Good advise Fakes :) ......... its just that some of us dont have old tubes......... we actually fix it .......... :clap: :clap: :clap: ...........

What also works well is a pool noodle over the bars...... you get ones that is hallow in the centre ...........

thanks for al the advice will do over the weekend, nice project to get out of babysitting duty.

If you have exposed beams in the garage and the roof's low enough, you can just hook the front of the saddle over the beam.Or hang a bar at a lower height with rope or chain.

If your rawlplugs pull out of the wall, try to track down some very old-fashioned stuff called Screwplug. It's powdered asbestos - mix it with water into a plug, stuff it in the hole, screw in whatever it is to be screwed in, and let it dry. Brilliant stuff.

I hang my bikes from the roof trusses which is great if your garage is a bit narrow and space is restricted.

If you have exposed beams in the garage and the roof's low enough, you can just hook the front of the saddle over the beam.Or hang a bar at a lower height with rope or chain.

If your rawlplugs pull out of the wall, try to track down some very old-fashioned stuff called Screwplug. It's powdered asbestos - mix it with water into a plug, stuff it in the hole, screw in whatever it is to be screwed in, and let it dry. Brilliant stuff.

I dunno about you, but that doesn't sound safe to me :blink: