Anyone riding a V10 here?

EvilRabbit

one more Q..

with the v10 now as a full carbon bike, what will the difference in weight/strength make on the track when compared to M9? Will M9 go carbon for the race circuit too.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pain: it's a bandwagon of note now: go carbon or get left behind in the image stakes. Intense has already indicated it's intended direction by making a carbon version of the tracer and renaming it the Carbine (cool name btw).

So yeah, i'm expecting an updated version of the M9 to sport some carbon loving.

in terms of strength to weight ratio, going carbon ups that ratio quite a bit.

The beauty of carbon of course is that you save weight by applying the necessary amount of layup to the areas requiring the most strength, while minimizing it in areas commensurate with it's strength requirements. you cant do that easily with metal, hence the height weight due to unnecessary mass in certain areas. It's all additive, but you get to pick and choose with carbon.

As to a question of too late, I think there is a case for it, if only because it makes the rider feel uncomfortable. Gwin hinted at this in an interview when taking delivery of session 9.9.

Carbon also has other benefits, notably it's vibration damping characteristics. That is, the frame is excellent at sucking up vibrations setup by trail chatter. Less vibrations to the rider means less fatigue: so harder and faster for longer.

OM, had a chat with Vince about the bikes Richard and I ride.. It is an absolute certainty that if we had Ski-lifts in the country, I would be riding DH. No doubt!

Sick bike huh? w/fox 40 Kashima! :blink:

Guest Omega Man

Carbon also has other benefits, notably it's vibration damping characteristics. That is, the frame is excellent at sucking up vibrations setup by trail chatter. Less vibrations to the rider means less fatigue: so harder and faster for longer.

I rode a Carbon Fury in France and the vibration damping characteristics SUCKED. To me the bike felt dead. I don't know if that's a characteristic of carbon or the one that I rode was just horrible.

My overriding impression of the bike was that it was too short and too tall. In fact it felt a lot like my old school Foes DHS mono. The bike felt lifeless and I enjoyed the Ruckus that I had ridden the day before. (Sorry Nigel)

Edited by Omega Man

what do you mean by sucked and dead? the only way to compare really is to ride the same frames, one in alu/metal the other in carbon.

I agree with OM completely on this one - its not the bike - its the rider!

Greg won the world cup overall on an Orange .... single pivot

then Won the World Champs on a Intense (Haro) .... Horst (4 bar) linkage

then won the world cup overall on a Honda .... single pivot

then won the overall on a Santa Cruz .... VPP

Hells yeah! Although that's all I really have experience with. An Izimu and a Ndiza. Although i did have a Yeti AS-X for 6 months. What is their system called?

I rode a Carbon Fury in France and the vibration damping characteristics SUCKED. To me the bike felt dead. I don't know if that's a characteristic of carbon or the one that I rode was just horrible.

My overriding impression of the bike was that it was too short and too tall. In fact it felt a lot like my old school Foes DHS mono. The bike felt lifeless and I enjoyed the Ruckus that I had ridden the day before. (Sorry Nigel)

:thumbup: HAHAHA no worries ... i love my Fury - it was probably setup related ... but i know what you mean about its vibration damping sucking ... its such a stiff ride that it actually feels like it increases the vibration sometimes ... you feel it on the fast flatout hard impact stuff. I find its a lot more nimble though and needs to be ridden with more finesse thats all ... i think that will go for all the carbon DH bikes from now on! The Danny Harts of this world will hate it cus you gotta ride smooth like peaty

Edited by nigelhicks

Hells yeah! Although that's all I really have experience with. An Izimu and a Ndiza. Although i did have a Yeti AS-X for 6 months. What is their system called?

ASR?

Guest Omega Man

:thumbup: HAHAHA no worries ... i love my Fury - it was probably setup related ...

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was setup related. The brakes and shifting gear was shimano and I've only ever ridden SRAM. The tires were Kenda and I've been on Maxxis for the last while. Add to that we were riding KKKKKAAAAAAKKK steep blind trails in Les Gets and Chatel. I'm sure they are very nice but I didn't enjoy the one I rode.

I'm sure the future is Carbon. For me the real advantage of it is that the bike companies will be able to move away from traditional designs necessitated by the use of Ali (hope I am making sense here) and become more creative.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

It is an absolute certainty that if we had Ski-lifts in the country, I would be riding DH. No doubt!

That's why I bought a double cab bro. Wanna come shuttle Paarl on Sat?