Road training program

Any advice for a newbie on the Road.

Looking to improve my ability on the road with a better structured program than just riding aimlessly.

After this Argus (my first road race ever), i would like to break 4hrs next year, but intend doing a couple more road races in between and train a little smarter.

Remember i am new to this so please explain all acronyms and terminology.

Hi Chubba, as you have 800 odd posts on The Hub I assume you are not new to cycling (probably a mountain biker?)

Road racing has the added advantage of being able to get into a bunch and cut down on the work load significantly.

If you have been cycling for a while then fitness is probably already in place.

The secret now is to do as many of the smaller qualifying road races as you can to get a better seeding for the next Argus - getting into a good starting group will make a huge difference. It will also give you experience in riding safely in a group and save you from a lot of irritating chirps if you dont hold your line or if you overlap the back wheel of the rider in front of you. It takes just 1 lapse of concentration to cause a potential pile up.

Finally i have found that spending time on the track (incl. sprints) helps significantly with staying in the bunch. if you are near the middle or the back you will often find the bunch speeding up and then slowing down. Riders not strong enough to sprint back up to the back of the bunch will get dropped and then its hard work untill you join the next group.

Good luck

Edited by Wrigs

Hi Chubba, as you have 800 odd posts on The Hub I assume you are not new to cycling (probably a mountain biker?)

Thanks for the reply Wrigs.

Yup I play on the mountain. No real method behind my riding, get on the MTB find a track and ride.

Frame my experience so far, it seems Road riding/racing has method in structured training.... Intervals, hill climbing, cadence workouts etc. This is what I have read and this is the limit to my understanding of how, when and how long to use these techniques.

Hi Chubba,

I would recommend riding with experienced strong cyclists who have some patience :blush:

It has worked for me (so far)... ;)

Frame my experience so far, it seems Road riding/racing has method in structured training.... Intervals, hill climbing, cadence workouts etc. This is what I have read and this is the limit to my understanding of how, when and how long to use these techniques.

Mountain biking has those things too... What trails do you ride without hills? If you want to get fast I think mountain and road cycling training is very simmilar. I think road riding you might do a little more anerobic training, for the sprints and fast group accelerations, where mountain biking is more like a time trial. I'm probably not the right person to give you speciffics, but using a structured program of intervals, etc. will benifit you hugely. Also remember that proper rest is an important part of training.

I would suggest that you get a good training book. There are many very useful books out there.

I can recommend the book by Joe friel "Training bible for Cyclists" It helped me a lot.

Joe Friel

Paperback, 330 pages, February 2009

Buy now: R248.00 R203.00 - save 18%

http://www.loot.co.za/search?offset=0&cat=qb&terms=Joe+Friel+Training+Bible&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=c2c&gclid=CN21vL--0qcCFcoa4Qod6FyG9g

Edited by Gman1834

I would suggest that you get a good training book. There are many very useful books out there.

I can recommend the book by Joe friel "Training bible for Cyclists" It helped me a lot.

Joe Friel

Paperback, 330 pages, February 2009

Buy now: R248.00 R203.00 - save 18%

http://www.loot.co.za/search?offset=0&cat=qb&terms=Joe+Friel+Training+Bible&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=c2c&gclid=CN21vL--0qcCFcoa4Qod6FyG9g

Good idea. Thanks.

I can recommend this as a very good option.

You will find event specific and generic type programmes, at the level you you want to perform at etc...

Used it for 16 weeks for the Argus, managed a sub 3, PB was 3:36 (1990) and last year I did 3:46.

Joe Friel's book is good, but I would say its better to use when you are more experienced than at novice level.

http://www.fittrack.co.za/

The fittrack option is fantastic. Highly recommended.

There's also a hubber on here called Maryks who has a post running about personalised training programs and a few people swear by her help.

As much fun as hitting a trail and riding in the bush can be, it's sometimes as much fun pushing the speed with a good bunch of chaps doing a proper echelon!

Good luck!

Used Fitrack for my Argus training, but want a bit more information on the science behind the various training methods.

Not prepared to spend on a coach, not any league close to that, just a fun rider that wants to improve my times.

Thanks for all the info, gonna look at the book for now.

I did the fitrack 9week program for the Argus and achieved a PB of 3:02 should've been a Sub 3 if I had trusted my training when the break went on Chappies. Can recommend it and the plus side is that it is flexible/customizable.

Chubba - I am also fairly new to the road (cycling in general) and I have been determined to get better quickly. I have read several books, but my favorite so far is Serious Cycling 2nd edition: Link to amazon

I'm not sure how seriously you want to take the road, but to break a 4hr on the Argus will most likely just require a better seeding and a little more endurance work. If your mountain biking is usually quick hard climbs and fast descents then what you are more likely missing is the aerobic endurance to be comfortable over a long distance. It's the easiest thing to fix, but not the most exciting. Basically you just want to get miles under your belt. Aim for 50-70km twice a week at moderate intensity to start, you can then increase with a bigger ride later on.

If you race on most weekends (in season) then that takes care of your 1 long ride and you get so used to doing 100km that it all becomes quite routine.

If you are starting now, I think you can safely aim for 3:30 rather than 4:00, assuming the weather is ok.

Chubba - I am also fairly new to the road (cycling in general) and I have been determined to get better quickly. I have read several books, but my favorite so far is Serious Cycling 2nd edition: Link to amazon

I'm not sure how seriously you want to take the road, but to break a 4hr on the Argus will most likely just require a better seeding and a little more endurance work. If your mountain biking is usually quick hard climbs and fast descents then what you are more likely missing is the aerobic endurance to be comfortable over a long distance. It's the easiest thing to fix, but not the most exciting. Basically you just want to get miles under your belt. Aim for 50-70km twice a week at moderate intensity to start, you can then increase with a bigger ride later on.

If you race on most weekends (in season) then that takes care of your 1 long ride and you get so used to doing 100km that it all becomes quite routine.

If you are starting now, I think you can safely aim for 3:30 rather than 4:00, assuming the weather is ok.

Good advice Prisma - what other books have you bought / read? What makes this one your favourite?

I can recommend this as a very good option.

You will find event specific and generic type programmes, at the level you you want to perform at etc...

Used it for 16 weeks for the Argus, managed a sub 3, PB was 3:36 (1990) and last year I did 3:46.

Joe Friel's book is good, but I would say its better to use when you are more experienced than at novice level.

http://www.fittrack.co.za/

Well done trubie - an Argus Sub 3 is one of those "awesome must try" achievements :clap:

Great advice, thanks.

You are spot on with the endurance issue. I found sitting in the saddle for over 4hrs, continually, very hard.

MTB'ing is very stop/start with quick bursts.

I found the climbing fairy easy on the argus, the distance was the issue.