Silverback Segma 29er or Giant XTC 29er ?

janorg

Hi

I seriously need some advice from all you experienced 29er riders out there.

26er vs 29er debate aside, I would like to know what you guys think would be the better choice between the SB Segma 29er and the Giant XTC 29er.

They both selling for about R15k.

The Silverback has much better specs than the Giant, but the Giant has the FOX thru axle fork.

I took a GT zaskar with a Reba fork (same as SB)out on a trail and really struggled with it (it was one size too big though, would that make a difference?), then I got onto a Giant and it was way more responsive (but that was only in a parking lot, not a trail.)

As far as I understand the thru axle makes a massive difference in terms of handling and responsiveness.

So I guess my question is: Do you go for the Giant and settle for lower spec but better ride quality, or compromise on the ride to get better spec on the SB?

Does the lighter wheels and XT groupset compensate for the Reba fork on the SB? And does a thru axle fork really make such a big difference?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa - thats an impressive spec on the Segma!

For the same price I'd buy the Segma. Which is saying something because I bought the Giant.

Disclaimer: I bought the Giant for the frame and fork only - it now sports full XT/XTR, American Classic Wheels and Ritchey WCS finishing kit.

I love the Giant - it's crisp, responsive, tight and fast.

BUT....

If I was buying from new and had to stick with the existing wheels and gruppo I'd buy the Segma - the wheels and higher spec gruppo will make more of a difference to your riding than the Giant frame/thru axle fork.

I own a Segma and ride hectic XC trails like helderberg. Love it. Reba is great.

Recently tested a 29er with a Lefty and wasn't impressed, but the bike wasn't set up for me. I think you have to take that into consideration.

I Cant see how a thru axle will make such a difference that you will notice it so quickly??

I Cant see how a thru axle will make such a difference that you will notice it so quickly??

You will indeed. I went from a Niner Air 9 to the Giant with 15mm through axle and the difference was notceable from the first pedal stroke. There were contributing factors though - the Giant also has a tapered head tube which would contribute to front end rigidity and control. There are downsides though - I feel a bit more beaten up after 85km on the XTC than I did on the Niner...

That said I am a mountain biking legend* and notice these kinds of things things. Not sure the average rider would pick up the subtleties.

*yes - I am deluded.

That said - I still think the Semga will offer a better ride than the XTC1 out of the box.

Try this: take a 29er with QR, stand in front of bike facing it, hold front wheel between legs and lightly twist/turn on handlebar and see how much flex in fork by watching distance between tire and lower legs of fork. Now do the same with 29er with 15mm...

Ideally it should be done with the same wheelset. The difference is massive and worth spending money on...

Maybe the bikeshop can make you a deal by taking the new reba and putting a fox on for a reduced price before you leave the shopfloor.

I picked up my Giant XTC yesterday......went through the same dilemma with the SEGMA as well.

Decided to get the XTC spec it up with full XT for an extra R2000-00(trade with LBS). I just feel that the frame on the XTC is a far superior quality.And would rather upgrade the groupset and he wheels than upgrade a frame. Personal choice.....wheel will do at a later stage.

Maybe the bikeshop can make you a deal by taking the new reba and putting a fox on for a reduced price before you leave the shopfloor.

Can you do a QR to 15mm thru axle conversion to the Stans wheels? Otherwise it'll be new wheels too...

Try this: take a 29er with QR, stand in front of bike facing it, hold front wheel between legs and lightly twist/turn on handlebar and see how much flex in fork by watching distance between tire and lower legs of fork. Now do the same with 29er with 15mm...

Ideally it should be done with the same wheelset. The difference is massive and worth spending money on...

I think you will twist the spokes and rim before you actally twist the axle.

I picked up my Giant XTC yesterday......went through the same dilemma with the SEGMA as well.

Decided to get the XTC spec it up with full XT for an extra R2000-00(trade with LBS). I just feel that the frame on the XTC is a far superior quality.And would rather upgrade the groupset and he wheels than upgrade a frame. Personal choice.....wheel will do at a later stage.

Thats also a great idea. Keep the Giant wheels for training and add a lightweight/racy wheelset later.

Bear in mind the Stans ZTR Wheels are about R6,000!

American Classic 29er are a better deal I reckon.

What about the difference in fork travel?

80mm on the SB vs. 100mm on the Giant?

Otherwise that is a pretty impressive spec on the SB for that price!

Hi

I seriously need some advice from all you experienced 29er riders out there.

26er vs 29er debate aside, I would like to know what you guys think would be the better choice between the SB Segma 29er and the Giant XTC 29er.

They both selling for about R15k.

The Silverback has much better specs than the Giant, but the Giant has the FOX thru axle fork.

I took a GT zaskar with a Reba fork (same as SB)out on a trail and really struggled with it (it was one size too big though, would that make a difference?), then I got onto a Giant and it was way more responsive (but that was only in a parking lot, not a trail.)

As far as I understand the thru axle makes a massive difference in terms of handling and responsiveness.

So I guess my question is: Do you go for the Giant and settle for lower spec but better ride quality, or compromise on the ride to get better spec on the SB?

Does the lighter wheels and XT groupset compensate for the Reba fork on the SB? And does a thru axle fork really make such a big difference?

I bought that GT , right size matters.... what a great bike!

What about the difference in fork travel?

80mm on the SB vs. 100mm on the Giant?

Otherwise that is a pretty impressive spec on the SB for that price!

I think the Reba can be converted from 80mm to 100mm fairly easily.

Oi! Shock boffins - correct me if I'm wrong....

According to the January issue of Bicycling mag (that be-all and end-all of all cycling wisdom...ha ), tapered head tubes and thru axle forks will soon be the new standard, especially with 29ers...

NOW, assuming that Mr. Neil Gardiner knows what he's talking about, shouldn't that be a concern with the Segma? Coz it doesn't have either one.

I wasn't aware that you could try and make deals and trade-ins etc with your LBS, i'll keep that in mind.

Thanx for the feedback so far!

While we're on the topic...I've heard that smaller riders won't reap the benefits of the bigger wheels, is that true?

Im just about 1,69m and ride a small hardtail.

I tend to agree with Mampara, the torque that you are putting into the wheel when you try and twist it will all be focussed on the rim thus placing an incredible amount of force on the rim/spokes.

A thicker axle and a stronger mounting point to the shock will add rigidity but if the thru axle is mounted to poor quality spokes/rims the flex might be the same as a QR.

You will feel a huge difference in rigidity if comparing a thru axle combined to topclass spoke/rim combo in comparison to a middle of the range wheelset with QR.

Can you do a QR to 15mm thru axle conversion to the Stans wheels? Otherwise it'll be new wheels too...

Had a quick look on the notubes.com website, I think you can convert it. Perhaps this is the best option then?