Riding The Argus route twice!

Pickles

I DO A CHARITY ride, BEFORE the Race Starts. Not to Cause any ISSUES.

Frail

SCHWINN LOVER[/b]' timestamp='1300475551' post='1369286']

FRAIL's in a lot of poop(lol),4 laps is going to be a lot of disqualification for one person.Can offer you a buddies number who never rode so you have 2 laps covered,anyone else want to sponser FRAIL another round or two?

Then again as long as you do not abuse the tables on the 2,3 and 4th lap you may be alright??

Seriously though the youngster made a mistake, so what we have all made mistakes in our lives.

Big up to him though for doing 2 laps and still finding time to help people on the second lap,some of the people he helped might not have made the end without his help.

A mistake yes but NOT the end of the world!!

Cant you read?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Argus is one of the few events where the pro's can spin around the mountain a second time to hook up with friends, collegues and partners to enjoy the day. Unlike many of the development riders that started in unseeded bunches together further down the field, these riders are considerate and knows how to handle a bike. While I was pushing my wife up Boyes Drive one of the Cape Town Market riders took the right hand side and helped me to get her over Boyes Drive. Refreshments shouldn't be an issue, as they didn't take any on the first lap. Congestion should also not be an issue, as these riders quietly weave their way through the field. I think the orginisers should rather try to accomodate it and leave riders with an option to do a second lap for charity at say R150 for the lap.

While I was pushing my wife up Boyes Drive one of the Cape Town Market riders took the right hand side and helped me to get her over Boyes Drive.

Morning Morewood....this CT Mkt rider would have been one of the 4 boys (also only 18 years old) who did the 2nd lap with my son....so, thanks for pointing that out. They aren't all monsters....just some of them. :)

Should've taken his transponder off like all the others did. Beginners mistake so make sure you do it next time.

I also see no issue with riders being able to do another lap if they are considerate to other slower riders. Maybe they should make a 2nd lap group that goes off after the last bunch or something?

Should've taken his transponder off like all the others did. Beginners mistake so make sure you do it next time.

I also see no issue with riders being able to do another lap if they are considerate to other slower riders. Maybe they should make a 2nd lap group that goes off after the last bunch or something?

Bpayne, lets be honest.

While the idea is a good one, there will always be those who want to race the second lap and ruin it for everyone. And because of the danger and the risks that these guys pose, it would be best to just put a stop to all second lappers.

I know there are loads of guys who do the second lap to just take it in (Velouria's post is a good example). But the risks are just to high because of the few irresponsible ones.

In my first 94.7 I was not seeded, I started right near the back and did a 3:18 time trial. Was I being inconsiderate to the "fun riders" or did I have every right to overtake thousands of them?

In my first 94.7 I was not seeded, I started right near the back and did a 3:18 time trial. Was I being inconsiderate to the "fun riders" or did I have every right to overtake thousands of them?

this is a yellow card comment. Go stand on the sidelines for 10 min penalty.

This an argus discussion. Dont confuse the issue with bringing gautengeleng rides. Keep your issues to your own province.

PS. valid principle comments do not apply.

this is a yellow card comment. Go stand on the sidelines for 10 min penalty.

This an argus discussion. Dont confuse the issue with bringing gautengeleng rides. Keep your issues to your own province.

PS. valid principle comments do not apply.

:lol: :clap:

No you weren't - you were entitled to have a lap of the route at your race pace albeit at a much faster speed, but only one lap as that is what you paid for.... not two laps.

At the end of the day, you pay for one lap and that is what you are entitled to.

BUT as can be justified, the faster seeded guys don't make use of the watering stops, so you should be entitled to use them at some point.

So lesson learnt, take your chip off before you do a second lap. I have heard that if you do a second lap with your chip on, it records the data but because there are two sets of data for the same chip, it deletes the data anomaly and therefore gives no result for the race.

I can honestly say that if I was prepared enough to do a 3 hour Argus and my elderly mother wanted to ride it too, I would do the 2nd lap without the organisers or anyone else's consent for that matter. If I got the sub 3 and they DQ'd me, it wouldn't phase me that according to the official time keeping I don't have a result. I would know whether I made it or not and got to spend the rest of the day making sure my mother got around safely and enjoyed it too. The Argus is about the thrill of the event, riding on the main roads around the peninsula closed to cars, with hordes and hordes of other cyclists! The official time is just a bonus.