Formula 1...

'Dale

I've heard Red Bull are unhappy with the Renault package, image that collaboration.

Red Bull Racing Audi..........

Yeah,

things weren't rosie there earlier this year, but by the sound of things they have kissed and made up. According to the rumor mill it is RBR pushing Renault to drop Lotus as a customer. That way it will only be them Toro Rosso and Caterham supplied by Renault. And Caterham buy their gearbox from RBR so it would make sense to have them as part of the "deal".

In doing so Renault only need to focus on one type of installation and they can optimize their package, mapping and all the rest around RBR - rather than trying to keep everybody happy with their own solution.

Renault said that was their downfall this year trying to keep everybody happy with a "custom" solution.

Lotus confirmed they will be running Merc engines next year, which should suit Merc as they will be losing McLaren as a customer.

So 2015 will look like this:

Renault:

RBR as a works team, but branded Infiniti

Toro Rosso

Caterham

Ferrari:

Ferrari Works Team

Sauber

Marussia

Haas (possibly only 2016)

Merc:

Merc Works Team

Force India

Lotus

Williams

Honda:

McLaren as a works team

I reckon Honda will want to sign at least one, possibly two, teams from 2016 onward. Williams Honda has a nice ring to it...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ce/c6/d6/cec6d601ba9a1ad69750a65224e7c32a.jpg

Edited by Iwan Kemp

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams Honda... aaaah, such a nice 80's sound to it! Pretty much like McLaren Honda.

Read somewhere that they're saying it is going to take years for other manufacturers to catch up to Merc's hybrid engine development/implementation. Are we back to shouting for Audi to come in? They know a thing or two about hybrid engines! :whistling:

HOLY MOLY, that sounds amazing.

Very similar to a rotary actually, that would be something. A modern, rotary engined, F1 car.............

In days where you actually had to DRIVE the car. Manual clutch. Manual gear-change. Wide tyres due to necessity. No traction control. And it was also won on the gear-changes. You could be a brilliant driver from a basic driving perspective, and suck at changing gear - and become a middle of the road performer. Really shows how talented the drivers of that era were.

In days where you actually had to DRIVE the car. Manual clutch. Manual gear-change. Wide tyres due to necessity. No traction control. And it was also won on the gear-changes. You could be a brilliant driver from a basic driving perspective, and suck at changing gear - and become a middle of the road performer. Really shows how talented the drivers of that era were.

The Hulk recently said that it's a lot easier for rookies these days cause the cars are a lot easier to drive. And he was comparing his rookie year to this year. Not even talking about the beasts from the 80's and 90's.

Still remember many a opportunistic passing move because the guy in front missed a gear shift under pressure.

Edited by Iwan Kemp

Yeah. And it's really, really difficult to do this in a car without a proper pedal box orientation. I used to do it in my mini, my dad's subaru(s), my Citi golf and numerous other cars, but my a4? No chance. There's just something about the orientation of the pedals that prevents you from doing it properly. That, or the management system and cat just take so much of the response out of the throttle that by the time it's registered movement on the accelerator pedal, your foot has slipped off the brake. And I have BIG feet...

Yeah. And it's really, really difficult to do this in a car without a proper pedal box orientation. I used to do it in my mini, my dad's subaru(s), my Citi golf and numerous other cars, but my a4? No chance. There's just something about the orientation of the pedals that prevents you from doing it properly. That, or the management system and cat just take so much of the response out of the throttle that by the time it's registered movement on the accelerator pedal, your foot has slipped off the brake. And I have BIG feet...

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Recent cars, and the current trend away from N/A to turbo has taken throttle response away from cars. I learnt to do this is my dads 97 corolla RSI, but in a 335i? Not as easy. Whether that's lack of talent or lack of throttle response is up for debate though.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Recent cars, and the current trend away from N/A to turbo has taken throttle response away from cars. I learnt to do this is my dads 97 corolla RSI, but in a 335i? Not as easy. Whether that's lack of talent or lack of throttle response is up for debate though.

I reckon it's the combination of the pedal posiitioning and the management / catalytic converter that makes the throttle response so poor.

Who's earning what? Driver salaries revealed

http://www.f1times.c...s/display/09216

Who earned the most in 2014? Well, going by their annual salary, it was a trio of drivers with Ferrari's Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen joined by Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel on £17.5m apiece. The latter took a massive £8m boost thanks to a new deal with Red Bull, whilst Raikkonen also saw his salary increase after moving from Lotus to Ferrari.

Lewis Hamilton dropped to fourth in the table, with Mercedes paying him an estimated £15.9m annual retainer according to Business Book GP2014. The Britain's former team-mate, Jenson Button, sits fifth with his current team-mate in sixth, taking home almost £10m a year - though a newly signed deal for next year is expected to bring his salary in line with Hamilton's. Further back and both Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado are on £2.4m - despite the latter bringing around £30m in income for Lotus through his PDVSA sponsor.

The bargain bin contains some real talent too, just showing it's not all money, money, money in F1, not at least until they've proven their worth. Valtteri Bottas and Daniel Ricciardo both earn under £1m each. As expected, the Marussia and Caterham boys fill the final few spots, but are joined by Esteban Gutierrez and Daniil Kvyat. - See more at: http://www.f1times.c...h.9iaHc12L.dpuf

2014 Driver Salaries:

Driver £ $

01 Fernando Alonso Ferrari £17.5m €22m $29.4m

02 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari £17.5m €22m $29.4m

03 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull £17.5m €22m $29.4m

04 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes £15.9m €20m $26.7m

05 Jenson Button McLaren £12.7m €16m $21.4m

06 Nico Rosberg Mercedes £9.5m €12m $16m

07 Felipe Massa Williams £3.2m €4m $5.3m

08 Nico Hulkenberg Force India £3.2m €4m $5.3m

09 Romain Grosjean Lotus £2.4m €3m $4m

10 Pastor Maldonado Lotus £2.4m €3m $4m

11 Sergio Perez Force India £2.4m €3m $4m

12 Adrian Sutil Sauber £1.6m €2m $2.7m

13 Kevin Magnussen McLaren £794,000 €1m $1.3m

14 Valtteri Bottas Williams £794,000 €1m $1.3m

15 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull £596,000 €750,000 $1m

16 Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso £596,000 €750,000 $1m

17 Jules Bianchi Marussia £397,000 €500,000 $668,000

18 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber £320,000 €400,000 $534,000

19 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso £198,000 €250,000 $334,000

20 Max Chilton Marussia £160,000 €200,000 $267,000

21 Marcus Ericsson Caterham £120,000 €150,000 $200,000

22 Kamui Kobayashi Caterham £120,000 €150,000 $200,000

Edited by Iwan Kemp

I'm sure Ricciardo's agent must already be renegotiating! Likewise Kvyat - and, like you said, Bottas.