Formula 1...

'Dale

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think THIS TIME, there is truth to the rumor. The biggest stumbling block has been removed when Ferdinand Piech's resigned from his post as chairman of the VW Group. Him and Bernie did not see eye to eye.

Audi has employed some F1 people already in some funny rolls so they are definitely looking into it. Red Bull and VW Group have been working together for many many years so it would make sense.

Rumors are that VW Group will buy the team with RB staying on as title sponsor. Audi already have experience with hybrid power units so should be better from the off than Honda.  They are running a 4.0L V6 diesel in Le Mans and Porsche is running a 2L V4 petrol.

Just for reference Mazda is racing Le Mans with a 3.7 L 90-degree V8 aspirated Normally aspirated mid, longitudinally mounted and Nissan 3.0 L direct-injected twin-turbocharged V6 engine in a longitudinal front mid-engine configuration.

Anyway. It would be GREAT for F1 should VW / Audi enter the sport as the 5th manufacturer. Judging by their approach in other categories I have little doubt they will be winning races sooner rather than later.

They just wrapped up their 3rd straight WRC championship too so you know if they enter it is for the win.

Exciting times, Ricciardo should just hold out........

They just wrapped up their 3rd straight WRC championship too so you know if they enter it is for the win.

Exciting times, Ricciardo should just hold out........

Yip, no sign of hope for the competition for next year either AND they are already putting miles on their 2017 WRC challenger!

With that in mind, do you think they would enter under the VW brand or Audi??

Imagine a Lamboghini F1 car...................

Probably Audi. The last time Lamborghini was in F1 it didn't end well, although Senna was pushing Ron to sign a deal with them for their new V12 when he went and inked a deal with Peugeot. 

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Lamborghini/1989-90-Lamborghini-F1-Image-02-1024.jpg

I'd say the two RB teams would be perfect to have two differently branded engines out there. Just about ANY of their brands would be a great addition. Bugatti, Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche...

But more likely Audi and Skoda and even MORE likely Audi only.

Unless Audi sticks it out in DTM and Le Mans, VW RX and WRC...then... Lamborghini or Bugatti to F1! 

Auto Union

or just simply

VAG

Although Bugatti would fit nicely with the Red Bull livery

Edited by raptor-22

Looks like it's basically a done deal reading this. Suppose Grosjean moving on will open the door for JEV to return should Renault take over Lotus

Grosjean poised for Haas confirmation

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/grosjean-poised-for-haas-confirmation

Romain Grosjean will commit his Formula 1 future to Haas immediately after the Japanese Grand Prix, unless Renault is able to complete its planned takeover of Lotus by then.

The Frenchman has been eager to become a part of a new Renault works effort in F1, but the situation regarding the manufacturer's takeover of the Lotus squad has still not been resolved.

Sources have revealed that Grosjean already has a framework deal in place with Haas for 2016 – which comes as part of a wider deal the has been agreed in partnership with Ferrari.

The tie-up with Maranello would put him in a strong position to make himself a candidate for replacing Kimi Raikkonen in 2017.

Verne in the running for the other Haas seat.

Lotus don't  have any other drivers knocking on their doors yet because its uncertain whether they will be there in 2016.

Perez to be confirmed at FI this week apparently

an F1 budget would be spread across all their major brands so likely the works team will be Auto Union and customer engines badged accoriding to the other brands contribution to the project..

Verne in the running for the other Haas seat.

Lotus don't  have any other drivers knocking on their doors yet because its uncertain whether they will be there in 2016.

Perez to be confirmed at FI this week apparently

Haas has confirmed it will be a Ferrari reserve and the thinking has been that it will be Gutierrez thanks to a) his money and b) his "local" support being from Mexico. But they've also said they don't need or want a pay driver although a sponsored driver would be welcome. 

Verne and Grosjean would be a great combo. If Guiterez (can't remember how he fared) is worth the seat it could work out great to have a current, experienced driver and younger "rookie". 

Jeez, I didn't even know that Justin Wilson had been killed - wow, that is hugely sad. The year he raced F1 is the year I started watching it & for some reason he was my favourite driver (overtaken by Kimi shortly afterwards).

He always seemed like such a nice person whenever they interviewed him & every race I had a laugh watching him squeeze himself into the car. And if I remember correctly, he was actually sponsored by private people to drive?

So sad.

Do we know why Max was told to swap places with his team mate yet?

And whatever the reason was - I like him 100 times more for flat out refusing :thumbup:  (I know you have to obey the team orders - but I still like that he didn't).

Some interesting reading on the Senna / McLaren / Lamborghini story here

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2011/12/ayrton-senna-mclaren-test/

http://cdn05.motorsportretro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Senna-McLaren-Lambo-1-1024x669.jpg

Interesting, but some pretty dumb comments below that article...

Regardless, anyone who genuinely thinks that Senna would have turned down a Williams drive had Macca gone with Lamborgini is sorely mistaken.  At that time everyone wanted a Williams seat - especially Senna.

Anyway, back to today would be fantastic to see VW group jump in and I am sure it would be Audi badging on the engines.  That said there is some risk in playing catch up as Honda have shown - so risky for VW/Audi and perhaps more so for Redbull...   Its not like McLaren Honda didn't have a very good ring to it before it all went pear this year...

Edited by dracs

Do we know why Max was told to swap places with his team mate yet?

And whatever the reason was - I like him 100 times more for flat out refusing :thumbup:  (I know you have to obey the team orders - but I still like that he didn't).

Sainz was on fresher tires and felt he could have a shot at catching and passing Perez who was ahead of Verstappen. Thinking was that if not he could give the place back to Verstappen.