Formula 1...

'Dale

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know.. and agree with all that stuff, I'm a 30 years plus supporter, but fell asleep early into last nite's race :-(

Awoke to see Vettel's interview, and immediately went back to ZZZZZs

I'm afraid Newey's the key, and together with Vettel's obvious immense talent, you have the recipe for boredom... superb driving skills notwithstanding...

Don't blame Newey for being a good designer and don't blame Vettel for being a good driver.

I blame the rules and the artificial environment it's created. Even Newey, RB and Vettel were struggling early in the season - anbd then the FIA changed the playing field by changing tyres mid-season! Add to that more rules governing engines and gearboxes - now we don't even have mechanical failures any more. (Bar Webber, who breaks his car trying to keep up to his teammate.)

Push to hard or (heaven forbids) try an overtake outside the DRS zones and it does not come off 100% clean, you're flippen investigated. Even if it does come off cleanly, the guy having been overtaken will most likely whine about something.

Don't get me going on the modern mickey mouse circuits.

Aaaanyways, my session on the soapbox done. Great to have actually seen some overtaking, even if DRS and tyre phase assisted. Again a great drive by Hulk and Bottas showed good speed all weekend in the Williams. Ole Pastor really having a brain-dead beaching session about sabotage - hopefully that shows his prospective teams what a character he is. That was really really stupid to do that at this stage of the season - but I presume in the end his moolah will speak harder than his whining.

I agree with SeaBee, the regulation changes have to a degree turned F1 into a bit of a circus. One wonders if RBR would have had such a dominant season if there were no changes mid-season? The boredom that some people are experiencing is simply the result of team and driver maximising rules and regulations to the fine edge for 100% benefit - and if you know the formula and have got it right like RBR, not so sure one would share it with the rest of the paddock? The Dream Team at Ferrari did it and were dominant for years.

Now don't get me wrong, it is annoying to see the same guy winning, race after race, especially if it is RBR & Seb, and not Ferrari & Alonso ^_^ but all we need to our minds back to the days of Schumi, Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne - they got the formula right and pushed every boundary - the result was sheer dominance for years.

I was very privileged to be at the Abu Dhabi F1 in 2013 - and let me tell you hubbers, it is a week that I wish would never come to an end. It gave me a bit of a different look at F1, and l think what I have taken out of this season, is how the rest of the pack and drivers are starting to come through the ranks.

F1 has become too sterile - I so miss the days when drivers could rub wheels and instead of whining to the race stewards they would sort what ever issues there were face to face in the paddock - and moved on? As much as I am a very big Ferrari and Alonso fan - Fernando does get the cry baby of the season award. Kimi is going to piss on his parade next year, he better FIFO?

2014 season is going to be an interesting one indeed, and lets see who get the formula right.

Eventful final race of 2013.

Vettel is the first driver to win nine successive races in a single season although Italian Alberto Ascari strung together nine in a row over two campaigns in 1952-53.

Equalled Schumacher's 13 wins in a season.

Cool podium for the retiring Webber.

Eish, I dunno anymore. All to predictable, lets hope next year will bring better racing. Also too many drive through penaltys handed out today. Was hoping the rain would come, but never did. Massive fan, but actually glad the season is done. Worst one for years in my books.

Moment of the race was Massa's beaching session! I nearly wetted myself laughing... But have to agree, that was a really ludicrous penalty.

Wonder if the FIA will find a way to fine Webber for riding without his helmet as well. You never know... :rolleyes:

Disappointment of the day has to be Rosberg. Went backwards quicker than I do on a bike.

And smooooke, we saw smoooke! At last a car broke spectacularly. Reliability was becoming just crazy of late. Old Nige would've loved this era where things struggled to break!

Moment of the race was Massa's beaching session! I nearly wetted myself laughing... But have to agree, that was a really ludicrous penalty.

Wonder if the FIA will find a way to fine Webber for riding without his helmet as well. You never know... :rolleyes:

Disappointment of the day has to be Rosberg. Went backwards quicker than I do on a bike.

And smooooke, we saw smoooke! At last a car broke spectacularly. Reliability was becoming just crazy of late. Old Nige would've loved this era where things struggled to break!

Hopefully we get a few turbos going bang in the first half of next season.

Ain't gonna happen... restrictions ito engin/GB usage per season in place, so they'll not run them bleeding-edge.

That's a big part of what piffef me off - it is becoming mini-endurance event series rather than races. So the envelope is... ja, there somewhere: we'd rather push the rules than the envelope.

Current points structure also puts emphasis on finishing, rather than winning.

Goodness, seems I'm in a sour mode today... is it Monday?! :ph34r:

Ain't gonna happen... restrictions ito engin/GB usage per season in place, so they'll not run them bleeding-edge.

That's a big part of what piffef me off - it is becoming mini-endurance event series rather than races. So the envelope is... ja, there somewhere: we'd rather push the rules than the envelope.

Current points structure also puts emphasis on finishing, rather than winning.

Yeah, agree. I wish F1 would go back to pushing the limits in every way.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry, Nige would have found a way.