Formula 1...

'Dale

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunate incident for raikkonen though. And vettel still not getting to grips with his sled. May just be that he's using a different mapping to Ricciardo, but he needs to do a lot of work tomorrow! A lot of names outside the top 10

Should be an exciting race. Chuffed for Ricciardo - great start in front of his home crowd.

Yeah it was. Kviyak had an unfortunate off... seems he just couldn't control that power delivery in the left hander. Was giving everyone problems though

Brilliant runs from Kviyak and Ricciardo!

The rain gods create conditions for drama!

What a qualifying!!

What's the weather tomorrow?

Should be an exciting race. Chuffed for Ricciardo - great start in front of his home crowd.

What a ride from the debutant!

Renault confirmed a software fault on Vettel's car caused the ICE to ERS to malfunction. This resulted in a drive-ability issue on the car. When he put his foot down he was never sure if he was getting full power only a part thereof. They will require most of the evening to correct the problem.

For an understanding of how these complicated systems are working in 2014 I cut and paste from Formula1.com

Long-time fans of Formula One racing will be familiar with the concept of a Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS), technology that was introduced to the sport in 2009 and was a mainstay from 2011. KERS worked by harnessing waste energy created under braking and transforming it into electrical energy, providing an additional 60kW (approximately 80bhp) of power for up to 6.67 seconds per lap.

The Energy Recovery Systems (ERS) which form an integral part of an F1 car’s power unit from 2014 take the concept of KERS to another level, combining twice the power with a performance effect around ten times greater.

ERS comprise two energy recovery systems (Motor Generator Unit - Kinetic [MGU-K] and Motor Generator Unit - Heat [MGU-H]), plus an Energy Store (ES) and control electronics.

The motor generator units convert mechanical and heat energy to electrical energy and vice versa. MGU-K works like an uprated version of KERS, converting kinetic energy generated under braking into electricity (rather than it escaping as heat). It also acts as a motor under acceleration, returning up to 120kW (approximately 160bhp) power to the drivetrain from the Energy Store.

MGU-H is an energy recovery system connected to the turbocharger of the engine and converts heat energy from exhaust gases into electrical energy. The energy can then be used to power the MGU-K (and thus the drivetrain) or be retained in the ES for subsequent use. Unlike the MGU-K which is limited to recovering 2MJ of energy per lap, the MGU-H is unlimited. MGU-H also controls the speed of the turbo, speeding it up (to prevent turbo lag) or slowing it down in place of a more traditional wastegate.

A maximum of 4MJ per lap can be returned to the MGU-K and from there to the drivetrain - that’s ten times more than with 2013’s KERS. That means drivers should have an additional 160bhp or so for approximately 33 seconds per lap.

GO HAMSTER!!!

Go Rosberg!

Go, Merc...

Looking good.

Edited by ' Dale

It will be dry, 21 degrees.

Cool....

In more ways than one

Seb' will be crying himself to sleep tonight

But he's so good. Let's see what ride he brings to the circuit tomorrow.

Cool....

In more ways than one

Seb' will be crying himself to sleep tonight

But he's so good. Let's see what ride he brings to the circuit tomorrow.

I believe if RBR suffers we will see a completely different Vettel. In a bad way. I remember when they were struggling early in a season, believe it was 2010, he was a difficult guy with lots of reports of fits in pits. Throw in a team mate who is an excellent qualifier and we have a potential nuke on our hands.

I would like more teams to win and for Williams and Ferrari to mix it up at the front, but I will more than happy to have Rosberg and Hamilton have a go at each other till the end of F1 2014.

Still think RBR won't have both cars crossing the finish line tomorrow.

Renault confirmed a software fault on Vettel's car caused the ICE to ERS to malfunction. This resulted in a drive-ability issue on the car. When he put his foot down he was never sure if he was getting full power only a part thereof. They will require most of the evening to correct the problem.

For an understanding of how these complicated systems are working in 2014 I cut and paste from Formula1.com

Long-time fans of Formula One racing will be familiar with the concept of a Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS), technology that was introduced to the sport in 2009 and was a mainstay from 2011. KERS worked by harnessing waste energy created under braking and transforming it into electrical energy, providing an additional 60kW (approximately 80bhp) of power for up to 6.67 seconds per lap.

The Energy Recovery Systems (ERS) which form an integral part of an F1 car’s power unit from 2014 take the concept of KERS to another level, combining twice the power with a performance effect around ten times greater.

ERS comprise two energy recovery systems (Motor Generator Unit - Kinetic [MGU-K] and Motor Generator Unit - Heat [MGU-H]), plus an Energy Store (ES) and control electronics.

The motor generator units convert mechanical and heat energy to electrical energy and vice versa. MGU-K works like an uprated version of KERS, converting kinetic energy generated under braking into electricity (rather than it escaping as heat). It also acts as a motor under acceleration, returning up to 120kW (approximately 160bhp) power to the drivetrain from the Energy Store.

MGU-H is an energy recovery system connected to the turbocharger of the engine and converts heat energy from exhaust gases into electrical energy. The energy can then be used to power the MGU-K (and thus the drivetrain) or be retained in the ES for subsequent use. Unlike the MGU-K which is limited to recovering 2MJ of energy per lap, the MGU-H is unlimited. MGU-H also controls the speed of the turbo, speeding it up (to prevent turbo lag) or slowing it down in place of a more traditional wastegate.

A maximum of 4MJ per lap can be returned to the MGU-K and from there to the drivetrain - that’s ten times more than with 2013’s KERS. That means drivers should have an additional 160bhp or so for approximately 33 seconds per lap.

Well that sucks...