Coming to terms with bike jacking

airhead

In February I was riding a Canondale Scalpel and got hi-jacked. It was a loan bike and I was heading towards Wemmer Pan to take pics in the early morning light.Two pedestrians approached and one made as if to cross the road as I approached. Naturally I slowed down as I went between then, but they just grabbed me and marched me into the bushes with guns and knives jabbing into my ribs - 20 minutes later i walked out to the tar road. A long queue of cars was lined up in the opposite direction and this happened in full view of at least 20 cars (6:15am in Wemmer Pan rd). I lost everything including my high end compact camera, polar hrm, camelback, glasses and phone.

Problem is now I am a bit totally paranoid when I see someone approaching me.

Thanks for sharing Airhead, that's a very perturbing story. It sounds like you weren't harmed though?

I was discussing this with friends the other day, how MTB riding used to be my escape from the world, something I did completely on my own, away from people. I never used to train with others, and preferred it that way. Now, I don't feel like I can do that anymore, and it pisses me off beyond belief. Not cool!

• 2 months later...

I got mugged in Irene close to the cement factory last year.

I didn't ride for a year I was so paranoid. I'm still paranoid.

But I got back on the bike and training for the Kalahari challenge.......and I'm still paranoid.

Best thing to do is to ride I guess and not let it get to you. But it's difficult....

yeah, it's difficult. I suffered from the same thing after I was hijacked. Was paranoid of all the cars passing behind me etc. But then you just sort of get used to it, and then in the end you come out being more observant and more prepared for the eventuality.

It's a growing experience, my man... Still not cool.

This is alwasy a tough one - my car hijacking outside my gate left me a bit more suspiscious than usual...

I dealt with it by inventing a new word: practinoid.

It's a combination of paranoid and practical - duh!

Practical enough that I don't become the victim of a highjacking again but not paranoid enough to let crime affect my day to day life.

What helped get past the anger was knowing that the crime was not personal - they didn't rob you because you were rich/white/an soft target/easy pickings etc - they robbed you because they could sell your stuff easily. No more no less.

I also consider myself practinoid, but I also realise that even still I am taking a risk. Its that fear that constantly gnaws at me.

Eldron: not so sure about the soft target comment - they and want a soft target and an easy offload. Practinoid is a good word, thats about how I am after hijacking as well, I guess.

Not sure the car vs bike experience changes things, but I do find even on my bike I am more skeptical of 'pedestrians'

Funilly, I think I am more nervous of breakins at home while you are asleep.

BTW: Eldron back on the hub so quick with new job - slick....

In February I was riding a Canondale Scalpel and got hi-jacked. It was a loan bike and I was heading towards Wemmer Pan to take pics in the early morning light.Two pedestrians approached and one made as if to cross the road as I approached. Naturally I slowed down as I went between then, but they just grabbed me and marched me into the bushes with guns and knives jabbing into my ribs - 20 minutes later i walked out to the tar road. A long queue of cars was lined up in the opposite direction and this happened in full view of at least 20 cars (6:15am in Wemmer Pan rd). I lost everything including my high end compact camera, polar hrm, camelback, glasses and phone.

Problem is now I am a bit totally paranoid when I see someone approaching me.

Welcome Wicksie... from the fastest racing driver you ever did see...

Eldron: not so sure about the soft target comment - they and want a soft target and an easy offload. Practinoid is a good word, thats about how I am after hijacking as well, I guess.

Not sure the car vs bike experience changes things, but I do find even on my bike I am more skeptical of 'pedestrians'

Funilly, I think I am more nervous of breakins at home while you are asleep.

BTW: Eldron back on the hub so quick with new job - slick....

I guess another term for practinoid is a bit more skeptical - of everything. Sad truth about living in SA I suppose...

Yeah - you know me - work and social time is so mixed in my line of work that surfing at work or working at home is all tomaaaato tomayto to me!

Here's a question to help all and sundry justify staying in South Africa - crime and the results of crime probably affect a few percent of our lives - the advantage of having a gardner and maid affects at least 20% of our lives - I'm happy to accept a bit of crime to save the masses of time that arb stuff like washing, ironing, cleaning, gardening etc. If only we could remove the violent element - then nirvana would arrive!!!!

Maybe a support group need to be set up for victims of bike hijacking - with more and more cases it could help.

This is the third hijacking case Ive read on the Hub where people are now terrified to go out again.

I'm told cross training is really good as a supplement to cycling.....has worked more than you can believe!

5 days a week you'll find me on my bike, mtb and road........BUT on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday eve's you'll find me in a Muai Thai class.....much to the detriment of at least 7 wannabe Bike-jackers.

I worked hard for my bikes.....only God or other divine beings may lay claim to them! :angry: