Bottle cage bolt inserts

IanJ

I have someone else's bike here and it has a problem I can't solve.

The bottle cage bolts have been overtightened previously and now the inserts in the frame are turning so it is impossible to remove the bolts again.

Anyone know of a solution? I could drill them out but can I get new inserts fitted somewhere. It is an alloy frame.

Try getting a flat screwdriver in betweebn the frame and the rivet, then you can keep the rivet from turning in the frame. Otherwise  superglue can also help to keep the rivet from turning.

Forget about all the magic coke, Q20 and screwdriver solutions.

That nut that's crimped onto the frame is called a Rivnut. Rivnut is a brand name and is sold in South Africa. It looks a bit like a pop rivet gun but instead of rivets, it crimps nuts into thin metal holes.

Every bike shop, or at least every frame distributor should have one but they don't. I suggest you find a local Rivnut agent, explain your problem and see if they haven't sold such a tool to someone in your city in recent months. I think bottle cage bolts are 4mm?? Mention that, since you get huge Rivnuts and small ones.

You'll have to carefully remove the loose one and crimp a new one on. Start devising ways of getting the old one off without enlarging the hole.

Oh, and not that it matters, but what type of alloy frame is it? You get steel alloys (such as chrome moly), aluminium alloy, titanium alloy, copper alloy (brass nipples are also alloy) and tin alloy (aka bronze).

JB
Johan Bornman2007-11-14 11:23:00

Had the same problem on my Trek MTB. Took pliers, and ripped it out of the frame to yield an open hole. Take the bike to the nearest bikeshop that has a rivet tool, and have them put a new rivet in. Cost me R60.

Had the same problem on my Trek MTB. Took pliers' date=' and ripped it out of the frame to yield an open hole. Take the bike to the nearest bikeshop that has a rivet tool, and have them put a new rivet in. Cost me R60.[/quote']

I like your style, but I won't suggest everybody goes "ripping" the rivet out. Most frames are weaker than the rivet and ending up with a gaping hole isn't good. If there is even the slightest tear around the edge of the hole it will form a stress riser and propagate a crack.

Remove the rivet gently, use a Dremel or file or whatever's appropriate. Try not to get pieces fall into the frame, otherwise customers complain about mysterious rattles. Then check the perimeter of the hole for any sharp edges and remove them using a small file or such.

JB

IanJ - you could always just admit defeat and give the bike back to your friend - problem solved (well, yours at least)Clown 

Use a vacuum cleaner while you busy filing to prevent the shavings from falling into the frame... FlyingCheetah2007-11-15 06:43:18

IanJ - you could always just admit defeat and give the bike back to your friend - problem solved (well' date=' yours at least)Clown [/quote']

I did and she is going to take it to her LBS. Sometimes it is better to admit that a job is beyond you. She would have to take it in anyway to get new rivets fitted.

Forget about all the magic coke' date=' Q20 and screwdriver solutions.

That nut that's crimped onto the frame is called a Rivnut. Rivnut is a brand name and is sold in South Africa. It looks a bit like a pop rivet gun but instead of rivets, it crimps nuts into thin metal holes.

Every bike shop, or at least every frame distributor should have one but they don't. I suggest you find a local Rivnut agent, explain your problem and see if they haven't sold such a tool to someone in your city in recent months. I think bottle cage bolts are 4mm?? Mention that, since you get huge Rivnuts and small ones.

You'll have to carefully remove the loose one and crimp a new one on. Start devising ways of getting the old one off without enlarging the hole.

Oh, and not that it matters, but what type of alloy frame is it? You get steel alloys (such as chrome moly), aluminium alloy, titanium alloy, copper alloy (brass nipples are also alloy) and tin alloy (aka bronze).

JB
[/quote']

Let me guess your name is Johan Bornman?

Could not quite figure it out form the nick, JB after the post and the signature... WinkLOLLOL

LOL_Daemon_2007-11-15 06:52:56

Let me guess your name is Johan Bornman?
Could not quite figure it out form the nick' date=' JB after the post and the signature... WinkLOLLOL
LOL[/quote']

It took me a while to figure out what you mean but after examining my own posting, I see your point. I'll reduce the gratuitous signatures, even though it does negate all the anonymous postings here. It'll take me a while to get used to not typing JB after my e-mails and postings, but I'll try.

For the last time - JB