Karoo to Coast

SeaBee

I am being convinced by some friends that doing Karoo to Coast this year is a good idea. Very tempted...

But just how -at the lack of a better word- "roadie-friendly" is this ride? I know it's a hard/tough ride, but from what I've heard it's not technically challenging. Is that correct?

As background: I do a bit of mtb riding, but I genuinely suck at the tech stuff. And because I avoid it in road season, having stuffed up my hip last year coming off a mtb just when road season resumed, I'm not improving it much! :blush:

From what I've heard, though, this is pretty much a gravel road race - or am I being misled? I don't want to enter and spend the day walking obstacles - I can do that without traveling there!

Sure a lot of you guys have done it and give some good opinions and advise.

Apparently one of our top ROADIES did it on his road bike with cyclocross tires......that give you an idea?

NOT a mountain bike ride at all....except for the fat tires out there!

Apparently one of our top ROADIES did it on his road bike with cyclocross tires......that give you an idea?

NOT a mountain bike ride at all....except for the fat tires out there!

Unfortunately Loudmac is correct.

It is the roadies'ultra-MTB-marathon

And absolutely do-able on a road bike with cyclo-cross tires.

Guest Frail4Life

I used the Route, instead of Detouring back to George, on a Road bike with 23C road tyres.

I am being convinced by some friends that doing Karoo to Coast this year is a good idea. Very tempted...

But just how -at the lack of a better word- "roadie-friendly" is this ride? I know it's a hard/tough ride, but from what I've heard it's not technically challenging. Is that correct?

As background: I do a bit of mtb riding, but I genuinely suck at the tech stuff. And because I avoid it in road season, having stuffed up my hip last year coming off a mtb just when road season resumed, I'm not improving it much! :blush:

From what I've heard, though, this is pretty much a gravel road race - or am I being misled? I don't want to enter and spend the day walking obstacles - I can do that without traveling there!

Sure a lot of you guys have done it and give some good opinions and advise.

Done that event 4 years in a row , great for a non tech rider, R3SL

The most technical section is the first climb, Ou Wa, but if you are starting anything further back than group 2 you will probably be walking it anyway due to the congestion. Without the congestion Ou Wa is no problem. The decent from Ou Wa is a bit rough but easily ridable. The rest is seriously just dirt roads that are in really good condition. Well they were last year. This race is worth the effort just for some of the great decents and awesome views. Enjoy!

The most technical part is dodging the water bottles, spare tubes and saddle bags that get dropped/broken off on the rough section coming down the Ou Wa pad...

:lol:

You won't regret doing this one. My personally, I love races with lots of technical, but still thoroughly enjoyed K2C as its in a beautiful area with stunning views, awesome decents (gravel roads) of which one is 14km's, great water points and then when you finish it, you can have Bosun's draught and pancakes :-)

Its def one of those rides you have to do if ur a cyclist. Its not really a MTB race at all. Those gravel roads are better than allot of tar roads i've seen in Natal

• 5 years later...

Unfortunately Loudmac is correct.

It is the roadies'ultra-MTB-marathon

And absolutely do-able on a road bike with cyclo-cross tires.

I'd like to hear a wider view on this point, I'm thinking of doing K2C on a gravel bike (Spez Diverge with 33c terra mtb tyres tubeless). Other hubbers agree this is doable? Gearing is 34/54 - 32-11 (I think)