Giant problem

Mr Legs

My 2 year old Giant XTC Alliance developed small bubbles under the paint on the top tube near the head and also on the head tube. I took it to my LBS (I did not buy the bike from them) and they send it on to the Giant agents / importers / distributors to have a look. It looks (to my untrained eye) merely cosmetic and not as if the integrity of the frame has been compromised, but I will keep you informed.

This gives me the opportunity to get reacquainted with my 12 yr old Gary Fisher Hoo Koo a Koo. (16 000km and counting!)Had to phone my brother as he had the bike on a long term loan, but as he is relocating to Dubai end of April, it seemed a good time to collect the bike before he donates it to the gardener when he cleans out his house.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two out of how many sold?

Thats two people on the hub, who knows how many more could be out there. I'm sure they wont be doing a product recall ;)

Thats two people on the hub, who knows how many more could be out there. I'm sure they wont be doing a product recall ;)

Recall for a paint job? My LBS sells Giant,and I've yet to hear of a Giant paint complaint.

If you only count those two it is 2 out of 2. Baaaaad! wink.gif

:lol:

I've always sucked at maths.

Recall for a paint job? My LBS sells Giant,and I've yet to hear of a Giant paint complaint.

:lol:

I've always sucked at maths.

I was taking the p :P Not to say that cause your LBS hasnt had problems , they don't possibly exist. My original post was mearly to help the OP.

• 3 weeks later...

An update:

Got the bike back. Giant says the paint only has a one year warranty. They did not issue any warnings about the frame, so I assume I can still use the bike. I bought the bike end of January 2009. Pity that I did not act when I noticed the problem for the first time as it would have been well within the warranty period. Lesson learned. The okes from Giant did however fix the head. They noticed that I sweat a lot and that caused a bit of a problem, whether the sweat was also the cause of the paint problem I do not know.

I also know that the gents from Giant monitor the posts on the Hub and that they do not like any posts that may show their product in a negative light. I am also in business and get seriously peeved when our product is critisized. But I also bend over backwards to try and keep my customer satisfied, irrespective of whether he is right or wrong. So Gentlemen from Giant: Thank you for fixing the head set for free and secondly if I have any of my facts wrong, please contact me and I will gladly rectify.

O, and could you perhaps tell me where I can have the paint job done?

Edited by Mr Legs

Well after the Giant pulled their dealership without warning from my LBS, I will not buy a GIANT again - going MERIDA instead. So GIANT boys, read that!

Well after the Giant pulled their dealership without warning from my LBS

and the reason for them pulling out from your LBS was because...always at least 2 sides to a story.

I also know that the gents from Giant monitor the posts on the Hub and that they do not like any posts that may show their product in a negative light.

The gents from Giant, how sure are you about that? Far as I know, Omnico imports Giant, the gents at Giant probably has better things to do than monitor a public open forum where everyone has an opinion.

The gents at Giant are probably busy working on a new paint formula, if they are not, they should be! :lol:

The gents from Giant, how sure are you about that? Far as I know, Omnico imports Giant, the gents at Giant probably has better things to do than monitor a public open forum where everyone has an opinion.

The gents at Giant are probably busy working on a new paint formula, if they are not, they should be! :lol:

Actually its really easy to monitor forums nowdays. My boss uses another free website that monitors google for our companies name, helps him to track compliments & complaints. Gets a daily email. So I make sure I never mention my employer in public ;)

that is a big problem, not sure if I would call it a giant problem, but definitely not small problem

Ha you beat me to it. biggrin.gif

Tanker

I know because they complained to my LBS about my initial post.

I like the brand and this specific bike (though it is not as fast as my old Gary Fisher!), so my intention is not to knock the brand.

The problem with a public forum such as the Hub is that one cannot control the replies and posters with an perhaps unfounded negative view of the brand also air their opinion, here I refer to Christopher's post about Giant no longer supplying his favourite shop (sorry Chris, but I think we are all big boys and girls and should be able to handle a little bit of criticism). There might be many good reasons why Giant made that decision, but the point is that the reply was not strictly on the topic that I initiated.