Which dual suspension?

nookie46

What size do you guys think i should get?

I'm 1.8 (5ft 11"). My previous bike was a Giant L (hardtail).

Should I get Large or Medium for the dual suspension?

Thanks

You need a Medium / 18

I ride a Medium Trance XO

I am exactly as tall as you and pretty big/athletic/fat at 93kg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a Medium / 18

I ride a Medium Trance XO

I am exactly as tall as you and pretty big/athletic/fat at 93kg

Thanks for the advice regarding size. When I was at the bike shop i was on a Med Trance X4 and felt a bit smallish and the guy advised me to get a Large. I'm exactly 1.8m and weight +- 75kg. I think it felt small because I came from a Large hardtail, but i know ill be able to pull off the Medium.

Thanks for the advice regarding size. When I was at the bike shop i was on a Med Trance X4 and felt a bit smallish and the guy advised me to get a Large. I'm exactly 1.8m and weight +- 75kg. I think it felt small because I came from a Large hardtail, but i know ill be able to pull off the Medium.

I'm 1.82 and ride a large Trance X2, I tried the Medium and it just felt a weird ride.

I'm 1.82 and ride a large Trance X2, I tried the Medium and it just felt a weird ride.

yup im 1.83 and a medium will be a mistake your wheight displacement and center off balance will be all wrong, not to mention the comfort factor.

If you can, take both bikes (med & large) for a test ride. Don't just rely on a spin around the shop, my mate who also rides a Trance is your height really should have been on a large but was on a medium.

Thanks guys, i've re-measured myself at home and i'm exactly 1.82m.

I've also went back to the shop and hopped onto a Trance X2 Large..fits me better i think. on the medium the handle bars felt so far down and i can imagine doing a lot of hunchback riding..not good for the back.so i reckon im going for the large then.super excited to start riding.

Go for the Trance!!! I have a 2006 Trance X3, I weigh 107kg and stand 1.86m tall. I ride the trails in the Knysna forest as I am lucky enough to live here. My Trance takes a LOT of punishment and has never let me down. The suspension is superb!!!

Now im confused again regarding the best size for me..i read some other forums, watched some youtube videos etc and everyone seems to sit my height on a medium frame?? ill have to go in again to sit on the medium..this is becoming a difficult choice because of me being borderline between the 2 sizes..i can pull off the medium as well..further advice anyone?

Now im confused again regarding the best size for me..i read some other forums, watched some youtube videos etc and everyone seems to sit my height on a medium frame?? ill have to go in again to sit on the medium..this is becoming a difficult choice because of me being borderline between the 2 sizes..i can pull off the medium as well..further advice anyone?

You need to take both bikes for a spin(if possible do it offroad), but now that your'e saying that you are actually 1.82 then a large is definitely the way to go :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Trust me on this, as I said my mate who is now shorter then you had the medium and it was too small.

I was also between sizes (1.80m). I think 1.82m you would be a large. Tight twisty tracks the medium is very good, big down hills feels a bit small. Had to put a 120mm stem on. Ive got a Scott spark my brother in-law has a Trance and he loves it everyone that rides it says what a comfortable bike it is, but then its made to be plush. I think it has the best of both worlds good racer and good on the downhills with that extra travel. I would look at a new bike if you can afford it buying a road bike second hand is fine, mtb bike would have to be pretty new.

Edited by Ceres

Its actually not quite as simple as 'how tall are you?'.

It depends on your torso/leg/arm length ratios as well.

Don't forget your riding style, and personal preferences i.e. do you like to throw the bike around, and do you like a more upright, or more laid out riding position?

I am 182, with long legs and a shorter torso, and had a large 2010 trance, which I had to put a 20mm shorter stem on to make it feel right. But, my previous bike was a medium 2006 reign, which was super comfortable.

In short, at 180-182:

Long legs, short torso - think about a medium for the shorter top tube.

Short legs, long torso (Italian build) - try out a large for the longer top tube.

This is just my opinion, based on my experience, and I am sure that there are people that think different.

If you can, try to test ride both, bearing in mind that a couple of component changes can make a big difference

I think I might go back to a large someday.

Just feels better on the down hills doesnt feel like you want to go over the handlebars

Edited by Ceres

You need to take both bikes for a spin(if possible do it offroad), but now that your'e saying that you are actually 1.82 then a large is definitely the way to go :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Trust me on this, as I said my mate who is now shorter then you had the medium and it was too small.

I'll prob not be able to take it offroad..but im def going back to sit on the medium. The thing is I want to start riding more and more agressivly and therefore some people recommend the smaller bike.When i stand over the medium the handlebars feels so far down and when im standing over the large there's about 4cm clearence. I feel comfortable on both, the medium feeling a bit weirder but i think thats because im coming from a large and not used to a smaller bike, but at the end of the day if its going to be more beneficial in the long run for me to get the medium because im going to be able to throw it around better then ill take it.otherwise i feel pretty comfortable on the large although i can def feel its a bigger bike.

Quick question on steep descents - ive done a couple of these and shift my weight back a bit.my question is do you want to be able to shift your body as far back as "behind" the saddle or won't you go that far?

Its actually not quite as simple as 'how tall are you?'.

It depends on your torso/leg/arm length ratios as well.

Don't forget your riding style, and personal preferences i.e. do you like to throw the bike around, and do you like a more upright, or more laid out riding position?

I am 182, with long legs and a shorter torso, and had a large 2010 trance, which I had to put a 20mm shorter stem on to make it feel right. But, my previous bike was a medium 2006 reign, which was super comfortable.

In short, at 180-182:

Long legs, short torso - think about a medium for the shorter top tube.

Short legs, long torso (Italian build) - try out a large for the longer top tube.

This is just my opinion, based on my experience, and I am sure that there are people that think different.

If you can, try to test ride both, bearing in mind that a couple of component changes can make a big difference

Thanks for the advice, i will keep this in mind. My inseam is +-81cm i think. I just dont want to end up buying a medium and then complain about how small it is when climbing, and then buy a large and complain that it is not small enough to really throw it around.

Quick question on steep descents - ive done a couple of these and shift my weight back a bit.my question is do you want to be able to shift your body as far back as "behind" the saddle or won't you go that far?

post-22004-0-24086300-1301551489.jpg