MTB becomes road racing!

Ridemyplanet

I am off to the flesh thread, much more fun there.

At least try and be true to your threats.

:lol:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Ok, let me then spell it out for you, straw clutching is a thing people do when they hang on to nothing/ness perhaps.

8:44, off to flesh thtread.

Time posted in flesh thread.

http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/fimages2/2009-03-04_1658.png

Kinda true to my word.

You get MTBers and then you get real MTBers. I'm actually the latter: on the single ocassion I rode, all these lazy "MTB" guys came along shouting "Track!" because they wanted the easy, smooth bit of ground.

So I rode my all my laps on the really rough stuff at the sides. In one single day, I encountered more tufts, dongas, anthills, rocks, roots, rabbit holes, shrubs, bushes,and other African stuff than most of 'em have seen in a lifetime of riding. So don't come with "Oooh! I'm so adventurous because I ride a well maintained single-track" stuff, OK?

As to doping: the professional riders are a lot cleaner than weekend warriors. That roadie you're racing against in the little funride, well, he possibly schnarfed some coke last night, and he's probably done a bit of KAT and a few other things when he was out clubbing.

MTBers, I think, are maybe more organic. Alcohol of course (amazing quantities at the Dirtopia I went to, throughout the night) and a little lot of the giggly weed. Which is how MTB started in the beginning, I think - as a way of going to reap dagga in out of the way places. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I still maintain that spectator value makes road riding. Its here that ordinary folk can see the riders and hence add to the tradition.

Somehow I dont see that same value in mtn biking. While alot of people admire mtn bikers, it would seem alot dont identify with it.

today's epic stage spent 7km on tar and they called it the toughest stage ever.

Note that Sauser took part in the Tour de Boland and Darren Lill easily beat him. Daryl Impey also timetrialed away from Burry at SA Champs, so it seems the road guys are looking tougher at this point.

Yes i seem to remember a certan KE doing well in Sa's two years back. Lets see now Daryl trains to time trial. Burry maybe a little.

Secondly lets just see where Burry ended up in the SA Champs. All the other roadies should have creamed him.

Thirdly how well would Daryl have done against Burry in the Africa mtb champs,Xc SA champs and the Sa Marathon champs?????

The roadies are tough Just ask Lances team mate at the top of the first climb at the Epic ;)

I still maintain that spectator value makes road riding. Its here that ordinary folk can see the riders and hence add to the tradition.

Somehow I dont see that same value in mtn biking. While alot of people admire mtn bikers, it would seem alot dont identify with it.

Pretty broad statements. I think more of the youth identify with mountain biking especially as the sport has spawned freeriding, dirt jumping etc.

Quite frankly it is a culture thing, if you grew up in France you may be more inclined to ride road, if you grew up in BC you would be riding an mtb bike.

I don't relate to lycra, shaved legs and simply pedaling for hours without much technical challenge. Other people don't relate to technical climbs, drop-offs and getting air and falling in the mud. Different strokes and all that.

Its a known fact around the world that roadies are rude, they soft and they have daddy issues. Mtbikers are cool, tough and have lycra issues. Now there i have said it.

Which is how MTB started in the beginning, I think - as a way of going to reap dagga in out of the way places.

hmm...

hmm...

There's some truth in it. The early MTBers raced for a baggie of weed, which was shared amongst everyone.

There's some truth in it. The early MTBers raced for a baggie of weed, which was shared amongst everyone.

Lag. Must be Californians. Anyone have more info on this?

Have ridden Whistler in Canada and one of the guys I rode with would have a little toke before the run. Nuts as I had to have 110% of my wits to survive the runs down. Have seen tons of guys smoking on top of the mountains in Ski Resorts in Europe, seemed to be the equivalent of having a beer for them.

Also had a boxing coach who used to smoke before training - believed it made him stronger - was a Zimbabwean thing.

You get MTBers and then you get real MTBers. I'm actually the latter: on the single ocassion I rode, all these lazy "MTB" guys came along shouting "Track!" because they wanted the easy, smooth bit of ground.

So I rode my all my laps on the really rough stuff at the sides. In one single day, I encountered more tufts, dongas, anthills, rocks, roots, rabbit holes, shrubs, bushes,and other African stuff than most of 'em have seen in a lifetime of riding. So don't come with "Oooh! I'm so adventurous because I ride a well maintained single-track" stuff, OK?

As to doping: the professional riders are a lot cleaner than weekend warriors. That roadie you're racing against in the little funride, well, he possibly schnarfed some coke last night, and he's probably done a bit of KAT and a few other things when he was out clubbing.

MTBers, I think, are maybe more organic. Alcohol of course (amazing quantities at the Dirtopia I went to, throughout the night) and a little lot of the giggly weed. Which is how MTB started in the beginning, I think - as a way of going to reap dagga in out of the way places. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Love your work.

Lag. Must be Californians. Anyone have more info on this?

They were. :lol:

Here's something I wrote for a feature on the history of the sport: "Larkspur Canyon Gang

11 - This ad hoc gathering bunch of friends competed down the trails of Mount Tamalpais for a baggie of dagga. One of them, Marc Vendetti, joined the Velo Club Tamalpais, and introduced (Joe) Breeze and (Charlie) Kelly to off-road riding."

I think the source was Berto's The Birth of Dirt, but here's a link about the guys:

Here you go: Larkspur

haha! if you look at Gary Fisher (the psycedelic time traveler), I'm pretty sure drugs were involved in the creation of the MTB, haha!

http://fisherbikes.com/images/fisherbikes/gary-feature-001.jpg

Edited by patches

OK, I feel all warm and fuzzy, now tell us what you REALLY think!

Come on, this is the eternal Hub debate. It has no ending! Glad to know nothing on the Hub has changed...

REAL cyclists would ride mountain trails on steel framed, single speed, road bike fixies. The rest of us are just wannabee posers!

Wait, let me go pack my bike. I have to ride in Vlaanderen on Saturday with a roadbike on a road not even fit for a hardtail! I'll leave your guys to theorise about life while I go and live it ;-)

That's what I really think, Willehond... No nonsense of comparing apples with pears.

You have a lekka ride in Vlaanderen. Be safe.

Fantastic adventure! :thumbup:

haha! if you look at Gary Fisher (the psycedelic time traveler), I'm pretty sure drugs were involved in the creation of the MTB, haha!

http://fisherbikes.com/images/fisherbikes/gary-feature-001.jpg

Looks like Breedtsnek! :lol: