Another Bikejacking

pezulu

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a daily basis we complain about the exact points he mentioned, crime, crappy service etc. Some South Africans walk around with blinkers not to notice what's going on. Some choose to stay, some go. Let him be, he's not chewing your ass because you chose to stay.

+1

Been back for a few months now from time in Europe and the States - dont quite know why!. My Road bike is on the indoor trainer and the mountain bike only gets dirty at bike parks and races. Would love to ride to a coffee shop but alas my area wont allow for that.

Welcome to SA - the answer is NO

My mother-in-law is now willing to pay for us to go to Oz early, just so she knows we are safe. What do you say to that?

You might want to reconsider, it's full of Australians :P see clip above...laugh.gif

Yep, not one. I've discovered that the people who most think that South Africa is such a wonderful place are the ones who have never left it.But you're right, onetrackmind, what gives me the right to rail against yet another bikejacking. What gives me the right to compare where I am now to where I was before? What gives me the right to note that I don't need the pepper spray I imported, I don't need to figure out how to fit a cosh into my spandex shorts? I clearly can't explain to you that your life may well be longer and happier in a place where you don't need burglar bars, a fence, a security company and a Dobermann just to lie afraid in bed at night.

And I probably can't explain to you that for the last 8 weeks, we've had sunshine every day except for 5. Maybe I can't explain that my cost of living has come down by R11 400 a month. Maybe I can't point out that I no longer know what a power failure is, outside of losing an arm wrestle, or that the stuff that comes out of my tap tastes nice.

Or that, unlike you guys riding through the sewage on the Spruit, the stuff in my septic tank stays right where it should.

I mean, you would't NEED to leave for any of that. And Africa gets worse, my friend, it does not get better.

Just so long as you are happy you are not trying to justify your decision, I am happy:)

I am also happy to stay here and make a go of it. I have lived in other countries - and, yes, for long periods, not just as an awestruck newbie. Everywhere has its pluses, and its minuses. For me, the biggest plus is that this is my home, and that means something to me. That outweighs an awful lot of negative stuff, for me. And that is my decision. You would also be amazed at how many people are coming back, having found the septic tank, in particular to educate their children in schools that actually teach discipline, and in a country with a future. I fully accept that there are problems here - but there are problems everywhere. Yes, before you ask, I have been a victim of violent crime, I know what the wrong end of a gun looks like. Guess what - I have looked down a barrel in South Africa, and in the US - where the grass is greener for some. Crime is a reality around the world - I think it was one of the Movistar pros who was flung off a cliff, so the nasties could nick his bike, late last year. Was that in South Africa? Some places, given, are less violent, but you can comfortably find incidents to prove either side of the argument anywhere in the world.

Now, just as you are demanding the respect you deserve for making the only logical decision YOU could make, give those of us giving it a go here the same respect for the decisions we have made, pretty please. I really did mean it when I said I hope your grass stays green, life is too short to wish ill on others.

Thanks mate and no worries. Except for one thing: Life is not short, it is the longest thing you will ever do. Yeah I know, nobody likes a smartass.

Well if that is how a country works, I want nothing of it. I am not justifying my reasons, I am telling you that you need to get out if you can. I know it is not easy to leave, but there is not one thing, outside of my mates, that I miss. No, not one. Have a read here, chief. http://grumpybastard...overseas-must-i

If there wasn't so much to bash, well, then, wouldn't that be nice. Willful ignorance, parochialism and blinkers I say; SA bashing you say. And if you think I give a fig if you respect me or not, you'd be very mistaken.

Great post, all makes sense but you clearly realise that you fall into the danger of getting the 'sour grapes expat' label ticked onto you (probably not a concern, given the fact that you've chosen 'grumpybastard' as a pseudonym and the blog in general in the first place). I think it would be a pity if you degenerated into that and only looked at the half empty glass but it appears you don't care what I think (but just enough to reply).

Agree to disagree, you have your reasons, I have mine. I haven't found enough reasons to leave, you didn't find enough to stay. Maybe we both have blinkers. I would miss lots more than just my friends here (the forty dolphins that wouldn't leave us alone yesterday for starters).

You might want to reconsider, it's full of Australians :P see clip above...laugh.gif

Its no probs, the wife is an Ozzie :thumbup: I'll take my chances with an Ozzie over a Kiwi :lol:

Thanks mate and no worries. Except for one thing: Life is not short, it is the longest thing you will ever do. Yeah I know, nobody likes a smartass.

Even Shrek softened to one eventually.

Its no probs, the wife is an Ozzie :thumbup: I'll take my chances with an Ozzie over a Kiwi :lol:

Heh, looks like you already have!

Just so long as you are happy you are not trying to justify your decision, I am happy:)

I am also happy to stay here and make a go of it. I have lived in other countries - and, yes, for long periods, not just as an awestruck newbie. Everywhere has its pluses, and its minuses. For me, the biggest plus is that this is my home, and that means something to me. That outweighs an awful lot of negative stuff, for me. And that is my decision. You would also be amazed at how many people are coming back, having found the septic tank, in particular to educate their children in schools that actually teach discipline, and in a country with a future. I fully accept that there are problems here - but there are problems everywhere. Yes, before you ask, I have been a victim of violent crime, I know what the wrong end of a gun looks like. Guess what - I have looked down a barrel in South Africa, and in the US - where the grass is greener for some. Crime is a reality around the world - I think it was one of the Movistar pros who was flung off a cliff, so the nasties could nick his bike, late last year. Was that in South Africa? Some places, given, are less violent, but you can comfortably find incidents to prove either side of the argument anywhere in the world.

Now, just as you are demanding the respect you deserve for making the only logical decision YOU could make, give those of us giving it a go here the same respect for the decisions we have made, pretty please. I really did mean it when I said I hope your grass stays green, life is too short to wish ill on others.

Great post. I have no issue with "Intern" or his comments. I think he is correct in many ways. But, as "onetrackmind" explained, it is not so easy for some of us to up and leave.

Not due to the financial issues, but due to family, the love of home and familiar faces and surroundings.

I have toyed with the idea of immigration for the past 2 years, ever since my little boy was born. What would the best be for him? What would he do in my position?

My as well as my wifes parents, siblings, cousins live here, actually in a 5km radius of us. All my mates live in a 10km radius.

So we pack and leave, no friends, nor family, to a foreign land where we are Outcasts, but I can sit in my house with my doors and windows open, alone. Not to sure what Job I will have, because I have no doubt, that someone is waiting to give me a job on the other side of the world as I step into their country.

I get to see my parents and family once a year, If I am lucky, and the years pass quickly, my folks pass away spending glimpses of time with them. I loose the close relationships with my siblings and cousins, sending emails and the odd Skype session. My son looses all contact with his family and his family identity, and never actually understands what it is like to be African.

I will take the chance and stay in the meantime, so that I and my son can be with his family, who are more important than anything else.

We have a great life in South Africa…apart from the crime. Crime is really the only reason to leave. I guess we all have the same hope that this can be sorted out in the future. Possibly not!

We MIGHT be safer somewhere else, but we would be miserable!

Edited by Chubba

Great post, all makes sense but you clearly realise that you fall into the danger of getting the 'sour grapes expat' label ticked onto you (probably not a concern, given the fact that you've chosen 'grumpybastard' as a pseudonym and the blog in general in the first place). I think it would be a pity if you degenerated into that and only looked at the half empty glass but it appears you don't care what I think (but just enough to reply).

Agree to disagree, you have your reasons, I have mine. I haven't found enough reasons to leave, you didn't find enough to stay. Maybe we both have blinkers. I would miss lots more than just my friends here (the forty dolphins that wouldn't leave us alone yesterday for starters).

Thanks Steve. Yep, fair enough. Thing is though, it is completely natural for people to compare experiences. I come from KZN, I lived in CT, I lived in Joburg. I compared all that all the time. And you're right, I don't care if people get all defensive and argue that because I left, I can't do that. Guess what...I can. Even worse, I will.

Would now be a bad time to point out that dolphins, we got? And whales; the island which is 7km off the coast from where I am is called...wait for it...Whale Island..ha ha. dry.gif

Great post. I have no issue with "Intern" or his comments. I think he is correct in many ways. But, as "onetrackmind" explained, it is not so easy for some of us to up and leave.

Not due to the financial issues, but due to family, the love of home and familiar faces and surroundings.

I have toyed with the idea of immigration for the past 2 years, ever since my little boy was born. What would the best be for him? What would he do in my position?

My as well as my wifes parents, siblings, cousins live here, actually in a 5km radius of us. All my mates live in a 10km radius.

So we pack and leave, no friends, nor family, to a foreign land where we are Outcasts, but I can sit in my house with my doors and windows open, alone. Not to sure what Job I will have, because I have no doubt, that someone is waiting to give me a job on the other side of the world as I step into their country.

I get to see my parents and family once a year, If I am lucky, and the years pass quickly, my folks pass away spending glimpses of time with them. I loose the close relationships with my siblings and cousins, sending emails and the odd Skype session. My son looses all contact with his family and his family identity, and never actually understands what it is like to be African.

I will take the chance and stay in the meantime, so that I and my son can be with his family, who are more important than anything else.

We have a great life in South Africa…apart from the crime. Crime is really the only reason to leave. I guess we all have the same hope that this can be sorted out in the future. Possibly not!

We MIGHT be safer somewhere else, but we would be miserable!

All good points Chubba. It is not easy. But for NZ$30 a month, I can call internationally unlimited, which helps I suppose. And there are so many Saffas here already that it's almost difficult to meet Kiwis. What is noteworthy is that most people I know have considered emigration, one way or another. It is drastic action; but if you read the news and think about where the country is headed, and if you understand what 'relative deprivation' is, it is hard to escape the conclusion that the things you have are wanted by 'the masses' who are encouraged to feel that they are entitled to it.

All good points Chubba. It is not easy. But for NZ$30 a month, I can call internationally unlimited, which helps I suppose. And there are so many Saffas here already that it's almost difficult to meet Kiwis. What is noteworthy is that most people I know have considered emigration, one way or another. It is drastic action; but if you read the news and think about where the country is headed, and if you understand what 'relative deprivation' is, it is hard to escape the conclusion that the things you have are wanted by 'the masses' who are encouraged to feel that they are entitled to it.

I've got a similar scenario with me knowing more Saffas living in Brisbaine, then my Ozzie wife knows her own kind that are there :lol:

I see there are quite a lot of guys taking on Intern for his comments and being out of SA.

He made a decision for him and his family for a safer lifestyle,who can blame him.I still see some of the crime stats from SA and it is getting worse buy the month.The crimes against children are increasing at a shocking rate.

Gen Cele has farked up the crime plan for the next 2 years and nothing is done about it.

In 2007 when bike hi-jackings started to increase the Police were warned and nothing was done.There was a debate about it on here to.Still nothing is done about it.

I also had to make a decision and left SA but i can sleep at night without having to worry if i will be attacked again and i can go shopping and not have to worry if my wife will get shot at again.My kids can play in the park and i don't have to worry about them.

You can't blame the people for leaving SA