Anthem Strength

Neg

Hi All,

i currently have a Giant VT. its a very strong bike, it's designed for bigger jumps and all-mountain. the Giant Reign is in fact my bikes newer version. i bought it because i wanted a bike that could handle the rougher trails at a higher speed and i wanted to do a few lighter down hill tracks.... i now find the bike very heavy for XC and trails....

my Future farther in-law has a Giant Anthem X3 and i took it for a spin... i have rout that i follow and usually i do it in about 2hrs, on the anthem i did it in 1hr 27. so i am a sh*t load faster on the anthem..... now i NEED one!! :):)

my question is this- how strong is the anthem really?? i am 6'2" and weigh 112kg's. ( i have lead bones)... now, will the anthem handle my weight doing rough terrain,rough rock gardens, jumps and about 3feet drop offs?

would the anthem X29er be a better bet?? i dont want to spend the cash and find i land and my front wheel carries on while i munch sand!!

Get a Trance that will solve your problem its as strong as the reign and as light as an anthem

I would actually get the Reign, specially looking at the trails you ride.

You would certainly be faster down on a Reign than on an Anthem.

Maybe time yourself up and down and see where you gaining the most time. Taking an Anthem on bigger jumps is not recommended, it is not what it is made for, but it'll climb faster - so that way you'll see if you gain that half an hour going up or coming down.

You won't easily get a new Reign. The last ones that came in were in 2008. You might be able to do a special import through the agents. I got one and it is awesome. 6" of travel, and just under 13kgs for a Large.

Otherwise get a trance

i did not consider the Trance. will look at it.

i definitely gained on the climbs as i was watching the clock, was about 8-9km/h faster on all the climbs. legs just left like they were never going to get tired, was light and easy! with my VT... its slow up hill..... and weighs 17.5kg's!!!!

the Anthem was fast, smooth and handled the route easily!!! but im worried when i do take it on thr rough stuff!:)

i will have a look at the trance, does anyone know if its as fast as the Anthem. while it might weigh the same, is it as quick or am i smoking my socks thinking this?

When I was looking I went my local Lbs and tried the trance out. Did not like the riding position and it felt like I was riding a lowrider which ment slow. Got onto the anthem x2 and felt totally different. Feels much more agile and nimble tight through tracks and quicks up climbs. Personally I would recommend this bike 10 fold.

i will have a look at the trance, does anyone know if its as fast as the Anthem. while it might weigh the same, is it as quick or am i smoking my socks thinking this?

no it won't be as quick as it is not as xc orientated, but its still much closer to an xc bike than your reign. no one bike is suited to everything, so you need to look at what you are wanting to do and find a bike that will be the best compromise. having said that, the trance will be pretty close to the anthem if its a somilar weight

i used to own an Anthem and then i got a trance. for me the Trance is much better at handling the rough stuff, the ride position is way more comfy and it handles drop offs way better. ITS ONLY THE CLIMBS THAT THE ANTHEM IS BETTER AND NOT BY MUCH.

my head is confused... its allot of cash to make a mistake with.... i like the anthem ALLOT! most of my riding is XC but when there is a rough patch i like to hit it hard or take the jump!

i think i must ride a trance see what it handles like... its only the "landing" from the drop offs and jumps im worried about because of my weight, the climbing aspect as you guys have said there is not much in it because of weight, is not a huge factor then.

"most of my riding is XC but when there is a rough patch i like to hit it hard or take the jump!"

At 112kg with this riding style Anthem is not the bike for you. Sooner or later you will breaks something - hopefully the bike and not your neck.

Try to think about it logically.

The riding position on the Trance is very easy to make the same as the Anthem. Just invert the stem to get the bars lower. Possibly get a Flat bar instead of a Riser. There are normally 2nd hand ones on the hub.

If you don't like how plush the rear end is (or the front, for that matter) just put a little more air in the shocks. It will stiffen right up. That said, the Maestro system is brilliant, and can be plush as well as pedal nicely.

The Anthem is an excellent bike, but so is the Trance. The Trance is just a little stronger, and a little more comfortable.

Go ride a Trance - you won't be sorry.

I have owned a 2006 Reign 2, a 2009 Anthem X1, a 2010 Trance X2 and 2010 Reign x1, and a 2011 Reign 0. I ride XC with my wife, and like to hit the rough stuff off the beaten path. I would say I have a fairly good perspective on this.

ok... guess the compass is pointing toward the trance...... As "just keep pedaling" said, sooner or later..... :( and id rather it be never and be slower on the hills....

Noli, how did the trans X2 perform over or under the reign?