Super D

wesley_r

I was just wondering, do we actually have any Super D races in SA? I think Cape Town is well suited - Contermanskloof, Majik Forest, Tokai, Jonkershoek, etc all have the potential for great Super D courses, no? And surely there are a lot of MTBikers out there who don't want to ride downhill, but are looking for something a bit more gravity orientated and fun?

For those that don't know: Super D is a racing format that's sort of a cross between DH and XC - mostly gravity-assisted course (possibly with a short climb or 2 to deter the DHers from entering) with technical bits (but not super technical, like jumps or drops)...

What do you guys think? Untapped market in SA?

I was just wondering, do we actually have any Super D races in SA? I think Cape Town is well suited - Contermanskloof, Majik Forest, Tokai, Jonkershoek, etc all have the potential for great Super D courses, no? And surely there are a lot of MTBikers out there who don't want to ride downhill, but are looking for something a bit more gravity orientated and fun?

For those that don't know: Super D is a racing format that's sort of a cross between DH and XC - mostly gravity-assisted course (possibly with a short climb or 2 to deter the DHers from entering) with technical bits (but not super technical, like jumps or drops)...

Sounds good to me

Sounds good to me

Agreed, think it would be a great fit for the SA market. We obviously don't have ski lifts so guys are used to pedaling up.

Here's a Super D race:

Look at the couple of guys from 0:31 - this is the one danger with Super-D - they case the jumps. A downhiller would know to clear those, or if not jump them, simply roll over. Being mostly XC / trail riders without the jumping experience, these guys jump the first one and case the 2nd. Still - looks like moerse fun!!!!

Keen. Contermanskloof from the tower, excluding the main DH run and following the contour ST to the left(looking from below) is perfect.

In saying that, I think they have had a Super D race there already.

At dirtopia festival 2 years back they had one it was awesome. Basically we were all freeriding down a plowed grass hill. There were however gates setup on the hill which you had to go through to keep everyone going in the right direction but what line you took to go through them was entirely up to the rider.

What I really enjoyed about this race is that both downhillers, trail/AM riders and XC'ers riders took part, the downhill guys had the advantage on the down sections while the XC guys was able to catch up a bit on the short not too steep uphills. The course was definitely focused on technical riding though and it was a mix of dh guys and trail riders that finished first at the end (was won buy a Morewood shova if I remember correctly).

at 0:36 i spotted the XCer by the fact he whiteknuckled that bar despite him already on his way OTB... shame..

super D great fun. but my first choice would be to have DS (Dual Slalom) in this country, and i thought Contermans would be an ace place for that as well!

However, Super D looks super fun (almost like timed FR)maybe we should all just pony up for an ad-hoc super D event?

However, Super D looks super fun (almost like timed FR)maybe we should all just pony up for an ad-hoc super D event?

you read my mind :thumbup:

right: majik or contermans?

With Majik we'd have to get buy-in from Tygerberg MTB, with Contermans?

nice thing about Majik: start right at the top, fast rolling section, then a short climb, then lots of singletrack to the end

nice thing about Contermans: start at the top of the green route, 100% singletrack with some nice flat pedally bits and a climb in the middle - last section do lower black route, end on the tabletop. speak to TBS about a shuttle maybe?

I guess the Mankele Avalanche is essentially a Super D race. 2 runs on 3 different mostly downhill routes. Last years event was my first and it was heaps of fun! Every sort of bike was represented and it was won by an XC'r... on a Scaple... with a Lefty :blink:

Anyways I see the guys have it on their calendar for this year too - July. Definitely worth doing!

• 1 month later...

I'm very interested in driving up for the Mankele - done it before? I'm wondering more with jumps; XCer here so airborne is a foreign feeling to me and ski jumps as well ....

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very interested in driving up for the Mankele - done it before? I'm wondering more with jumps; XCer here so airborne is a foreign feeling to me and ski jumps as well ....

:drool: A super light is just the bike! Don't worry, they've excluded all the ski jumps and major drops. Your wheels are on the ground 99.9% of the time.

This is a race for everyone, although if you're fit with good good skill, you'll enjoy it even more.

DON'T MISS THIS, IT COMES ONLY ONCE EVERY 365 DAYS!!!!!!!!