Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to thank you for building amazing trails! Was there on Saturday, had a great time...even though some places decending on the green route is a bit hectic, especially that shap lefter that left me finding my stuff in the bushes.....will defenitely be back! I love that forest, a bit slippery though, think you guys need to put some warnings up as some places have very sharp corners but you come down with quite a speed....but overall great work and awesome trails!

Hi MTB Roadie, saw you FB post as well. Thanks for the comments, glad you enjoying the trails, we've had lots of positive feedback. We're constantly looking at ways to improve signage and routing of the trails, this is a costly and timeous process but we're moving on it. We'll be putting up more signage at the entrances soon explaining rules etc as we getting tired of excuses from riders trespassing. We busy planning some exciting additions to the trails but more about that closer to the time.

Edited by Hellwarp

If you've done the route once, the sharp turns aren't that surprising anymore! :D

I look forward to the additions, Hellwarp!

If you've done the route once, the sharp turns aren't that surprising anymore! :D

I look forward to the additions, Hellwarp!

Its not the turns that bother me...its decending at a 40km/h+ then realising there is a corner coming wich you didnt know off. I was just giving a opinion, always good to know where to be cautious.

Its not the turns that bother me...its decending at a 40km/h+ then realising there is a corner coming wich you didnt know off. I was just giving a opinion, always good to know where to be cautious.

Im with Roadie on this one, sure if you have done the route once or twice you know what to look out for, but its that one new chap this will come screaming down, realizing his mistake as soon as he leaves terrafirma and heads face fist into a tree or a rock.

Granted did the trails only once, and the lack of ST and technical stuff, does make it kind of boring, good training ground for distance though, once i can tell myself i need to go ride for 3-5 hours on jeeptrack ill go visit again.

Not dissing the spot great initiative, good for training distance and hills and yes nice views. I live 1km away but yet i still find myself driving to jonkers on the weekends.

I was just kidding guys. I know what you mean.

I agree, covie, very nice for training, but not very technical. On a clear day though, you can't beat the views!

The reason I like it as I like training where there is climbs, and there sure is some steep ones, also the distance of routes is nice, I noticed there is a forest with some single track in the back, think it is the blue route as you on the red route you can turn in there....was very very slipper, especially where u come down the forest and you need to go left, but that is the type of soil so you cant do anything about it....overall great value for money as I can cycle 10km to the trails and 10km back...I will be going back on Sunday due to doing the Burger on Saturday, just want to find out, if you do all the trails, starting with green...then red and all the way around and back, what is the total distance (even if you included the forest section that i think is about 6km)?

If you start at Hazendal and go green onto red then back on green you're looking at about 35km. Around 5km less if you take the "shortcut" from green to red. Not sure of the singletrack you referring to but please keep to the Bottelary Hills marked trails.

If you start at Hazendal and go green onto red then back on green you're looking at about 35km. Around 5km less if you take the "shortcut" from green to red. Not sure of the singletrack you referring to but please keep to the Bottelary Hills marked trails.

Only place where i know of where you cean see singletrack is behind the top of the green route, but thats Sevenwacht I suspect.

... just want to find out, if you do all the trails, starting with green...then red and all the way around and back, what is the total distance (even if you included the forest section that i think is about 6km)?

If you do green,red, yellow and blue, the total distance will be about 50 km and about a 4,5 hour ride for an average rider.

@ covie - have started bundu-bashing the hills this week to mark out single track - will hopefully start building in a few week's time and have it open by the end of September, depending on the weather.

Edited by dirtman

If you do green,red, yellow and blue, the total distance will be about 50 km and about a 4,5 hour ride for an average rider.

@ covie - have started bundu-bashing the hills this week to mark out single track - will hopefully start building in a few week's time and have it open by the end of September, depending on the weather.

Sweet dirtman, peeps like me with a really short attention span needs the ST to keep us comming back for more.

Edited by covie

Sweet dirtman, peeps like me with a really short attention span needs the ST to keep us comming back for more.

There's about 1.5km of singletrack that forms part of the green route, a piece on the south eastern side on Kastanjeberg and a piece on the western side between Mooiplaas and Zevenwacht.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let you know that we finished with the first piece of new single track yesterday - it is on the green route and links up with the current section of ST. It starts to your left about 20 metres before that nasty rutted right hand turn on the jeeptrack. Depending on the weather, Hellwarp will try and signpost it before the weekend - otherwise just look out for the ST exit on your left. There are 2 tree stumps just after the start blocking the ST - will try and remove it before the weekend, otherwise please step over it in the meantime.

We are also currently working on three other sections of ST. One is a major project and will give you ST not found anywhere else in the northern suburbs. It is however extremely difficult building there and will take a few weeks to complete - target date is still the end of September, depending on the weather.

I was a bit put off by the trails 2 weeks ago...did the red route...followed red markers that was put on the ground as i thought the route was changed a bit due to the rain....meanwhile there was a race busy, some Corporate race or something....got totally lost even did some single track against some mountain that sucked as you had to walk some parts....was very annoyed and my 19km red loop ended up in 35km or around there...and then where the red meets up with the green route again a bit down the sign was broken off....so like all mtbikers I just carry on with the route I ended up at a farm house not taking me back to the entrance at all, so after being P'd off i went to the big open gravel road and cycled back towards Bottellary Rd coming out close to The Palms :thumbdown:

Please tell the people who sell permits to say there is a race or just put a notice up in the beginning saying do not follow the signs on the ground....