Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

I did the green route Tuesday, it was quite difficult in the sandy dry conditions...I was a bit scared of the longer green loop, will try it next time, I really enjoy this trail...How does this route compare to the others i.t.o difficulty?

It gets a bit slippery in the ST part, but that makes it so much fun since its not a very technical singletrack, the sand helps to make it exciting, So instead of developing a fear of the sand, try and go as fast as you can in it, on the plus side, if you wipe in loose sand it doesnt hurt so much :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys ... so how tough is this trail for a rider who is still trying to find his SS climbing legs?

I am not worried RE coming down, it is just getting to the top that might be a little painful.

The fear of duwweltjies/thorns has kept me and my friends away from these trails, is this a valid fear? I have not ridden here before...

Edited by Andre Maree

The fear of duwweltjies/thorns has kept me and my friends away from these trails, is this a valid fear? I have not ridden here before...

Riding any Cape Town trail you need tubeless for when those bloody thorns come out .... just make the leap or at least run with sealant in your tubes and tyre liners .... those bloody things are what made me convert to tubeless and I have been a far happier rider since!

Riding any Cape Town trail you need tubeless for when those bloody thorns come out .... just make the leap or at least run with sealant in your tubes and tyre liners .... those bloody things are what made me convert to tubeless and I have been a far happier rider since!

My front is tubeless but not my rear, even if I am fully tubeless, it is wise to avoid thorn infested trails. Thorns break off in the rubber and when you get that fatal sidewall cut, your tube is gonna get stung and you gonna be walking the long way home. Just wanted to know if it is really badly thorn invested or not.

My front is tubeless but not my rear, even if I am fully tubeless, it is wise to avoid thorn infested trails. Thorns break off in the rubber and when you get that fatal sidewall cut, your tube is gonna get stung and you gonna be walking the long way home. Just wanted to know if it is really badly thorn invested or not.

Its actually kind of odd, i see loads of devil thorn bush, but my girl has ridden it three times with me on tubes this month, and either she is brilliant at avoiding thorns really lucky, or there arent many lying around on the route.

But Hairy is right its devil thorn season, and if you dont want thorns in your tyres this time of year i suspect an indoor trainer is your best option mate.

Its actually kind of odd, i see loads of devil thorn bush, but my girl has ridden it three times with me on tubes this month, and either she is brilliant at avoiding thorns really lucky, or there arent many lying around on the route.

But Hairy is right its devil thorn season, and if you dont want thorns in your tyres this time of year i suspect an indoor trainer is your best option mate.

You will never see me on an indoor trainer even though I will be indoors but if you could see through walls I would not be on one. The places I ride do not have these thorns, and I do ride all trails in Grabouw and Somerset West and Eden and Jonkers - they are only found in the lower lying western parts of the cape especially among vineyards. I just avoid paths that are really bad, but Bottelary trails seem to be used a lot and seems the thorns are cleared out of the paths :thumbup:

@ Hairy: You should be OK doing the yellow and orange loops on a SS.  Both green and red routes have long climbs to get to the top, with one or two steep gradients where you will struggle with a SS.  Not sure if you will make it to the top without walking.   Don't try the blue or the long green loop on a SS!

@ Andre: There are fewer thorns around than last year this time when we were laying out the trails, but the risk of punctures is there if you ride tubes with no slime.   As Hairy said, tubeless is the answer - not only for Bottelary, but for all vineyard trails.

Don't worry, thorns not that big an issue. Being using these the Bottelary trails for years and haven't had that many punctures. Must have protection (slime) however and it also helps to keep your eyes open for the green plants on the edges of the paths! Go and enjoy. I must add that most of the riders that I see on the trails lately are not using the required permits :-(

• 3 weeks later...

I rode the trail today, started near Hazendal. My idea was to do the whole traverse, so I did the green, then the red, somehow missed the point where the yellow loop crosses the red, continued on the red, got tired, didn't concentrate, so when red turned pink and it was downhill, I bombed right down to Overgaauw. (Their Heerenwijn is the driest SA white wine that I've ever had, the old Mr Van Velden, now passed away was a buddy of my MIL and he gave us a box Heerenwijn as a wedding gift).

So I went uphill again, right up to the highest point and then had a rest (flat on my back) on the pine needles with a splendid view of Simonsberg and the rest of the Stellenbosch mountains down to Somerset West and the sea. Refreshed I went down the single track through the forest and down the red loop again, I decided to skip the rest of the green as my riding time was about 4 hours at that stage and I still had to pedal home to Durbanville. Stopped for a coke and a bar one at a garage and got home after 4 h 45 on the bike. Tired.

Verdict : Go and ride the trail, this was R 30 bucks well spent. Uphill, down hill, a bit of single track, fantastic views, a variety of options to suit your ability.

@ Mr Legs

Glad you enjoyed the route. There is a lot more single track on last part of the green route that you skipped - go and ride that next time.

Also - more single track will be build this winter. Just keep a look-out for Hellwarp's posts on this forum.

Lastly - thanks for paying for your ride. If all riders pay, more single track can be build - unfortunalety there are a lot of freeloaders who don't pay to ride.

dirtman, have you guys decided on a way of dealing with the freeloaders. Want to know, so that I know if I should pay for my next ride there, or also freeload. :devil: :whistling: ^_^ :P

dirtman, have you guys decided on a way of dealing with the freeloaders. Want to know, so that I know if I should pay for my next ride there, or also freeload. :devil: :whistling: ^_^ :P

Or they need to kick the security's ass at hazendal, numerous times ive gone to pay and the idiot is not there i then sit and wait around for 10-15 mins before i bugger off. Maybe put up an honesty box so i can at least pay my dues when i go ride.