Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

It is open and I had the pleasure of being the 1st one, apart for Dirtman who was putting up the last sign as I cam through.

it is still fresh and will need to be ridden in, but don't think that just because you are cutting out those few steep sharp hills it is easy. you have to work at it. (OK I am also unfit so maybe the racing snakes won't have an issue). Also there are 2 sharp bends that could co with a bit more of a berm to really rail it and get even more fun out of the stretch.

But damn the dudes are really doing an awesome job for us.

Please, Please pay your dues!! I would hate to loose the privilege of riding here because of a few D@&S@S!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Dick

Was nice meeting you. Agree re the berms - just waiting for soil to settle down and get compacted.

If all goes according to plan and the weather plays along, we will start working on a new section of single track on the red route soon - will keep you posted.

Please note that we have closed down the blue route for the winter period. It is too wet down in the kloof, but more important just too dangerous due to the "green death" on sections of the route. We are working on a possible new loop.

The berms on the bends on the new ST on the green route received attention on Monday - the bends should now ride easier.

Also note that a short piece of single track was built on top of the dam wall on the red/orange route (on the right just after you ride over the dual brick roads leading up to Koopmanskloof). It is not signposted yet, but it is easy to spot - please ride it so that it can get compacted.

We also have started building a 600 meter section of new ST on the red route that will eliminate that rocky climb (where most riders have to walk) just before you get to the highest point on the red route. The rain that is forecasted from the weekend onwards will slow down the building, but if all goes according to plan, the section will be opened up before next weekend.

But the rocky climb on the red route will still be available? It's great training for technical climbing.

But the rocky climb on the red route will still be available? It's great training for technical climbing.

Will discuss it will Hellwarp, but the current idea is to close the current path over the top of the hill, including the rocky climb. The rocky climb is not the big issue, but we have serious problems with erosion and water damage on the downhill on the other side, especially the last section of jeeptrack. It is just not worth the expense to try and repair that section, as it is too steep and go straight down - we will most likely dig a few trenches over the downhills to stop further damage . It was the only option available when we put the route together last year, but we are now looking to eliminate all high maintenance and/or dangerous sections as and when money becomes available.

I have a black route in mind that will provide you with enough rocky climbs and rocky decents - just waiting till August to see if it will be rideable in winter.

I understand completely. The best way to loose trails is to let erosion get out of hand. But I'm interested in the black route...

:)

Die nuwe single track op die groen roete sal môre (Vrydag) baie naby aan klaar wees. Sal Maandag afrond, sekere dele meer gelykmaak,"berms" en "run-offs" bou, ens. Die nuwe deel sal egter "oop" wees vir die naweek sodat die los dele kan kompakteer voor volgende week se reën. Ry dus asb die nuwe deel, maar wees versigtig - sekere dele sal redelik los wees - veral die "switchbacks" (daar is 5) moet maar eers rustig gevat word, want daar is redelik opgevul aan die onderkant daarvan. Gee ook kommentaar asseblief sodat die probleme Maandag uitsorteer kan word.

Het dit gaan uitcheck die naweek, net twee goed

1. Moerse nice job :) took it unnecesarily tentative thought it would be loose "but it wasnt"

2. As die donnerse security gaurd nie by hazendal is nie waar de hel kan mens betaal, die ou is amper nooit daar nie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkJBphFA9Pk&feature=plcp

for those who havent yet gone to check it out.

Edited by covie

LOL Covie, jy ry hopeloos te min as jy nou eers agtergekom het. Daai security guards is al lank al nie meer daar nie. Het vir 'n tyd iemand van die plaas gehad wat dit beman sonder sukses. So ons verkoop nie meer permitte vroeg van daar af nie. Beste is koop een voor die tyd by CWC, Cyclefunatic of Union Cycles. Ons weet dis 'n issue maar probeer sonder sukses al heel jaar 'n oplossing vind, werk tans aan 'n online opsie.

Maklikste opsie is as jy vroeg wil ry is koop maar die jaarpermit.

24hr Caltex Starmart by Bottelary/R44 kruising verkoop ook dagpermitte. Dan ook Radish restaurant (voorheen "Only One")

Paar nuwe stukke singletrack onlangs bygekom, met nog wat binne volgende twee weke sal oopmaak.

Edited by Hellwarp

LOL Covie, jy ry hopeloos te min as jy nou eers agtergekom het. Daai security guards is al lank al nie meer daar nie. Het vir 'n tyd iemand van die plaas gehad wat dit beman sonder sukses. So ons verkoop nie meer permitte vroeg van daar af nie. Beste is koop een voor die tyd by CWC, Cyclefunatic of Union Cycles. Ons weet dis 'n issue maar probeer sonder sukses al heel jaar 'n oplossing vind, werk tans aan 'n online opsie.

Maklikste opsie is as jy vroeg wil ry is koop maar die jaarpermit.

24hr Caltex Starmart by Bottelary/R44 cruising verkoop ook dagpermitte. Dan ook Radish restaurant (voorheen "Only One")

Paar nuwe stukke singletrack onlangs bygekom, met nog wat binne volgende twee weke sal oopmaak.

die rede hoekom ek nooit daar gery het nie is omdat toe ons aan die begin gaan ry het was die signage hopeloos, en daar was niks ST nie. So het toe dit nie die moeite werd geag om geld uit te haal vir 'n jaar permit nie.

Maar ek moet se die signage is baie beter, die ST wat neergesit is is nogal fun. so ja nou is dit miskien die moeite werd om meer daar te gaan ry :)

Edited by covie

The new section of single track on the red route (just before the rocky climb) will be opened up for riding by Friday. As with any new section, it will need some compacting.

Total distance of single track if you ride red and green toghether now exceeds seven kms.

Walked the new singletrack section on the Red Route yesterday and again today to see how it held up to the weather. Is still fresh in places but overall it held up nicely. This was done to deviate from a downhill section of trail that is prone to erosion.Opens up great views towards Tygerberg and Table Mountain. We opened it up on Friday and route markers are in place.

Edited by Hellwarp

Rode the new red route single track on Saturday with my tandem buddies - very enjoyable ! Like Hellwarp says, it is still a bit loose in places, but as far as I'm concerned a significant improvement over the previous steep up & down bit.

We entered at Overgaauw and were pleasantly surprised by the variety of the connecting trail up to the red route. From there until exiting at Hazendal it was virtually wall-to-wall single track !! Great stuff Hellwarp & Dirtman !