Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

The new section of single track is open. Just be careful when riding it over the weekend as it needs compacting. Also be on the lookout for possible "green death" (algae). We have tried to remove most of it, but there might be a spot of two left with green death still lurking.

If you are riding the red route from the Radish restaurant side, the entrance to the new single track is about 50 meters before you get to where the yellow route splits from the red route just after the long climb on red. There is a map attached to a pole that explains the different options (see below), as well as big temporary blue arrows on a yellow background that will guide you to the start.

Hah, didn't read this properly last week and went looking for the new ST thinking it was near the other new ST in the forest at the top of the hill after coming in at Overgaauw. So I've gotta ride all the way around red to find it, it seems ;)

I don't know how new it is, but that option to loop back on the purple track straight back into forest and do ST again through there is awesome, cheers!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are busy re-routing the red route just after the split from green coming up from the Hazendal side. There are two sections of vineyard roads that become very rutted every year in winter that we need to eliminate. The new route will include about 500 meters of new single track. If all goes well it will be open for riding by next weekend. The blue line on the map indicates the new route.

The new section is open for riding, but we still need to berm the two bends, so take it easy. Also, as with any new section of trail, it needs compacting. Enjoy!

Edited by dirtman

Must say that the new blue route is no shopping excursion!! Sorry, very cheesy!

It is a real tester, with lots of sharp steep climbs after doing the red route climb, but great work done by the route builders! No one said Mtbing was easy!

Well done Sean & Co!

New entrance to the green route from Hazendal is a bit dodge in that okes could jump you from behind those bushes if your not vigilant. Keep an eye out.

Long green loop on Sunday was amazing...weather was perfect and ground was fairly solid!

Saturday morning, i am going to ride the red route from "the only one" or "Hazendal" - if you want to join, PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Will the route be dry enough to ride today. Really need to get to the mountains

• 2 weeks later...

Did the new short cut ST on the red route yesterday. Excellent addition to the ever-growing ST collection at Bot Hills. Still a bit loose which made those tight uphill switchbacks even more challenging. Flat bit of jeep track at the top was MUDDY. Thanks to efforts of Dirtman, Hellwarp & co we now have access as permit holders to basically uninterrupted ST from the yellow turn-off up to the end of green at Hazendal! (7 sections in all, I reckon)

+1 - Thanks Dirtman, Hellwarp & co

The amount of ST combinations to play around with is very nice. Plus the condition of the trails after the rain is very good for 99% of the distance & take a lot less traffic than Tygerberg or Jonkershoek = lots of 'me time'..brilliant

it doesnt seem like there is much single track, or is there?

There is these days - at least 15 km I reckon

New electric fence is being erected blocking the yellow route where the Middelvlei link joins in. -33.9238675,18.815017

At present the turn off from the brick paved road is still open because the gate has not been installed yet, but the exit at the bottom onto the road just before the dam has already been fenced off.

Had to go back and around the fenced off area (apparently a new naartjie orchard).

Unfortunately the only alternative is the road directly adjacent to the farm workers cottages.

Edited by mountain_lion

We are aware of this and it should be marked as routed via the labourers cottages. We are busy with a workaround. The main sign has not been moved yet.

Did red & green routes yesterday. New blue ST short cut (off red) has settled down nicely. All trails in really good nick - appreciate the wooden bridges here & there to bypass mud patches, especially at the Hazendal entrance. Last bit of ST on green route very bumpy in the corners - most probably as a result of too much speed into the corner and then too much braking.

The new section of single track is open. Just be careful when riding it over the weekend as it needs compacting. Also be on the lookout for possible "green death" (algae). We have tried to remove most of it, but there might be a spot of two left with green death still lurking.

If you are riding the red route from the Radish restaurant side, the entrance to the new single track is about 50 meters before you get to where the yellow route splits from the red route just after the long climb on red. There is a map attached to a pole that explains the different options (see below), as well as big temporary blue arrows on a yellow background that will guide you to the start.

Finally got round to ride the new short purple loop & single track - very nice!

Thanks!

Hi,

Could the Route profiles possibly be updated for the green and red routes on the website?

Also, what is the blue route about? Is it a short cut or an extension on the Red route?

Or can some upload there own profiles from Strava or Endomondo or something like that

Edited by Fabian46

post-19597-0-94802100-1408354217_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Could the Route profiles possibly be updated for the green and red routes on the website?

Also, what is the blue route about? Is it a short cut or an extension on the Red route?

Or can some upload there own profiles from Strava or Endomondo or something like that