Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Bottelary Hills 2015 Annual permits are available at selling points and are valid from now until 31st December 2015.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottelary Hills 2015 Annual permits are available at selling points and are valid from now until 31st December 2015.

Adult R500, Spouse of adult permit holder R400, Pensioners/Students/Under 18 - R250.

Can anyone please tell me what is the elvation and distance of the green route with the extra green loop?

Can anyone please tell me what is the elvation and distance of the green route with the extra green loop?

Not sure what extra loop you are referring to - long green or the section of climbing single track (Rooikat)?  The normal green loop including the climbing single track (Rooikat) is about 16 km and 430 m of climbing from Hazendal.

Here you go, long green on image below (typing error, it's 4.8km not 3.8) Add green and you get 20.8 km with 650m elevation gain. 

post-19597-0-34775900-1415445648_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hellwarp

Thanks for the positive feedback  - was the most difficult and expensive build to date!

We are monitoring the sandy / soft spots  - we unfortunately did not have enough rain between the completion of the trail and the STBB funride to get a good enough compaction and that caused the few loose spots.  Hoping for rain!!

The only other problem after the STBB funride is the new exit section on the Ribbok (forest) single track that is very loose and dusty - we are working on a plan to sort that section out.  Rest of the route is in very good shape.

The bit of rain we had during this week helped, but there are spots on Fish Eagle that require a spade to fix.

Still quite ridable though without causing further damage. You just need to be precise with your line choice.

Rode Fish Eagle yesterday, fantastic addition. In combination with short purple makes for ideal quick ride from Stellenbosch. Excellent work on the trail and looking forward to it getting a bit more compacted, nearly lost my front wheel from under me at one point!

Thanks Hellwarp,

640m is quite a climb for 20.8km. When you think you done with Killer, the long green loop lies ahead with a steep uphill but the scenic downhill makes it really worth it! Want to do it more often.

Are there any group rides on a Saturday or week days afternoons? I'm keen doing the green, red and finish on the green again or just the long green route.

What is the average cost / 100m of single track these days? to give some people a perspective of what goes into setting up a trail, not to mention the cost of maintenance.

Edited by Dick

What is the average cost / 100m of single track these days? to give some people a perspective of what goes into setting up a trail, not to mention the cost of maintenance.

We recently spent R1152 / 100m of singletrack on a 2.5km trail. The nature of the terrain and topography determine the eventual cost, along with unforseen obstacles once construction has commenced. One could be spending anything from R6000 - R18000 / km depending on the terrain and build style. Throw in big berm corners, jumps, rock gardens, bridges etc and the cost escalates exponentially.

Edited by Hellwarp

• 2 weeks later...

Daar het 'n boom geval oor rooi single track in dennebos (die stuk single track voor Rooikat). Bietjie ongemaklik vir een mens om te skuif. Dis net voor die oranje "caution" sign. 

Daar het 'n boom geval oor rooi single track in dennebos (die stuk single track voor Rooikat). Bietjie ongemaklik vir een mens om te skuif. Dis net voor die oranje "caution" sign.

I was there yesterday. Saw it. Was to exhausted to even try lifting it. Could just about lift my bike over.

• 2 weeks later...