Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

@ Mr Legs

Glad you enjoyed the route. There is a lot more single track on last part of the green route that you skipped - go and ride that next time.

Also - more single track will be build this winter. Just keep a look-out for Hellwarp's posts on this forum.

Lastly - thanks for paying for your ride. If all riders pay, more single track can be build - unfortunalety there are a lot of freeloaders who don't pay to ride.

A comment or 2 :

Union Cycles did not have armbands when I bought the permit;

The chap at Overgaauw did not have a map of the trails.

Keep up the good work!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode it for the first time yesterday, did the big 40km loop, its quite a challenge much more than I ever expected, found myself riding the last 1h30 mins without water. Excellent route for some proper MTB training with good combination of uphill, downhill and bit of singletrack. will do it again soon!

There is no more 24 hr security at Hazendal - the note on the door of the hut should have been removed long time ago (sorry about that). Currently permits can only be bought (if you start from Bottelary Road) after opening time of the restaurants at Hazendal and The Only One - so if you ride early, please pay after your ride. Permits can also be bought in advance from bike shops as indicated on the website.

Policing of the route will start within the next few weeks - just waiting on Hellwarp to finish harvesting his grapes so that we can get together to discuss the finer details.

@ Mr. Legs - maps are not available yet at the starting points - we are still busy fine tuning the routes and will make another few changes this winter. In the meantime please print your own maps from the website.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool trails! I rode there with some friends this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Here's the route on Garmin Connect if anybody wants to see the profile etc.

Edited by mikkelz

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. We're busy with singletrack maintenance on the Green Loop so bear with us. Be aware that it will be loose and soft in places, there are a few changes as well. Should be finished by the week end.

We will be doing maintenance and making changes/additions on other parts of the trail system as well. Along with that we will continue upgrading the route markings where we haven't got round to yet.

Hi everyone. We're busy with singletrack maintenance on the Green Loop so bear with us. Be aware that it will be loose and soft in places, there are a few changes as well. Should be finished by the week end.

We will be doing maintenance and making changes/additions on other parts of the trail system as well. Along with that we will continue upgrading the route markings where we haven't got round to yet.

Seeing that it is almost half way through the year, are there specials on permits or must you pay full price?

Was there for the first time this weekend (shame on me :whistling: ) - and I'm still grinning. What a great place to ride. Will have to go back for the views on another day, though - mist was too thick to see much.

Job well done to all involved, great variety of riding conditions, I thoroughly enjoyed it. :thumbup:

Was there for the first time this weekend (shame on me :whistling: ) - and I'm still grinning. What a great place to ride. Will have to go back for the views on another day, though - mist was too thick to see much.

Job well done to all involved, great variety of riding conditions, I thoroughly enjoyed it. :thumbup:

Agree. Stunning place to ride. I also don't go there often enough.

Rode the trails again yesterday. Well done on excellent trail maintenance! What a pleasure to go riding here. {A certain other club can learn something about maintenance from you guys!}

Rode the trails again yesterday. Well done on excellent trail maintenance! What a pleasure to go riding here. {A certain other club can learn something about maintenance from you guys!}

Glad you enjoyed the trails. Must agree re maintenance - Hellwarp and his farm workers are doing a great job with maintenance. The rebuilt of some of the green route single track was done by Bennet and his team.

I did the flagging of a new section of single track on the red route last week. We hope to start building soon. Watch this space!!

is there any night group rides using these trails? if so where can i meet?

@ Hannes - jammer, maar geen "night rides" word toegelaat op die Bottelary roetes nie.

@ Hannes - jammer, maar geen "night rides" word toegelaat op die Bottelary roetes nie.

Dis jammer. so 'n group ride in die week sal goed wees vir fikshuit.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a very enjoyable ride combining all the trails on the weekend before the rain. Single track in excellent condition - great repair job on the green single track. Looking forward to the extension of the red s/track. Big thank you to Hellwarp, Dirtman and all others involved in developing and maintaining Bot Hills for our riding pleasure. Really irks me that some people still think that they can make use of this privilege without paying for it...

Ons het vandag begin werk aan 'n nuwe 1,5 km stuk single track op die groen roete - sien geel lyn op kaart. Hoop om dit vroeg volgende week klaar te hê. Die doel is om die steil afdraend met die stormwaterslote net na die pienk "link" vanaf Zevenwacht uit te skakel.

Sal daarna begin werk aan 'n nuwe stuk single track op die rooi roete.

post-4890-0-28451800-1339508008.jpg

Die nuwe single track op die groen roete sal môre (Vrydag) baie naby aan klaar wees. Sal Maandag afrond, sekere dele meer gelykmaak,"berms" en "run-offs" bou, ens. Die nuwe deel sal egter "oop" wees vir die naweek sodat die los dele kan kompakteer voor volgende week se reën. Ry dus asb die nuwe deel, maar wees versigtig - sekere dele sal redelik los wees - veral die "switchbacks" (daar is 5) moet maar eers rustig gevat word, want daar is redelik opgevul aan die onderkant daarvan. Gee ook kommentaar asseblief sodat die probleme Maandag uitsorteer kan word.