Epic theme this year

kosmonooit

Thought it was clever. I used to use Rambo deodarant as a laaitie, played with a Rambo survival knife and had a bucket full of little green army men. Are you telling me that the whole lot should've been banned along with playing cowboys & indians? Dont get me wrong, war is horrible and I'm glad that I'll never be involved in one other than a price war...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic, that place must make a killing everytime juju opens his mouth...

JA as Daft Vader once said..."May the WORS be with you"

Yes most advertising is clever, a lot of money is spent, and a lot of cocaine gets consumed, but does it make it 'good'? That's the problem: decisions like to use this theme are underlied by the bottom line: will it work and make it successful in achieving the objectives? No consideration is given as to what is healthy for a society or not, and yes we disagree on that.

Perhaps what I am asking is that you give a second thought to it, if only to respect those who have paid the ultimate price. And try and see the classic "All quiet on the western front' sometime.

I know many guys who served on the "border"... they are proud guys, who served their country and the cause - how ever right or wrong it was... it has left "scars", and it was hard, and they probably were never the same before going off to fight...

War isn't for woosies... much like the Epic.

Edited by MariusL

I thought it was a great advert as well.

However, I don't think it was an attempt to metaphorise the atrocities of war with the race, rather the attributes of soldiers and medics on the field of battle, thereby capitalising on the warrior's mantras of "no one left behind" and the constant need to cover your partner's back, not to mention the feeling of camaraderie that soldiers on the field of battle - ie: The Cape wilderness & the constant battle with your own mind as a competitor, warring with your body's every attempt to get you to give up the hope of success in exchange for just a brief respite.

I think it was very cleverly put together. Together with the emotional aspect of soldiers as well - the constant pressure and anxiety that they undergo in an environment filled with danger and possible death and the stress that results from that. In addition - the whole aura of the Epic - that it is only for the very toughest (mentally & or physically) competitor draws a very clean tangent to the aura of the armed forces - that it is not for p*ssies.

I really think the whole "atrocities of war" aspect is one that you yourself are looking for when critiquing the ad, and a reasonable person (Joe Public) would not have concluded the same as you when viewing the ad.

Just my view though...

No I think it was was very good, you missed the point of the add completely!

it was about camaraderie and getting through the battle that the epic is.

"Yes most advertising is clever, a lot of money is spent, and a lot of cocaine gets consumed, but does it make it 'good'?"

Dude what are you on about?? have you lived a very sheltered life?