New Silverback Frames

linton

Recently I went bike shopping with a friend, we were looking for a hardtail 26" bike for around R10k, obviously a well specced silverback was an option. However, 3 of the LBS we went to were negative about silverback in varying degrees, from saying the frames were completely useless in both quality and geometry, to the frames being barely useable... but should be avoided if possible.

Linden cycles however claimed that the new frames were good, that silverback went to great pains to have their frames designed in germany and that they were comparable in quality to the same priced merida's etc.

Has anyone got some experienced opinion or advice?

Edit: as part of your response, if it is that nothing is wrong with silverback, give your opinion as to why there is so much negativity regarding the frames.

Edited by linton

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dunkeld cycles, mikes bikes and northcliff cycles.

I've heard negative talk about silverback all over the place though, also in varying degrees.

Nothing wrong with Silverback, after all they are designed in Deutschland, except you are looking for the wrong bike. Checkout the Smegma, a 29er hard tail. You can't go wrong, there is so much infighting going on here about them it's like COPE. 26er Hard tails are so 2009... Flame suit on...

as part of your response, if it is that nothing is wrong with silverback, give your opinion as to why there is so much negativity regarding the frames.

Nothing wrong with Silverback, after all they are designed in Deutschland, except you are looking for the wrong bike. Checkout the Smegma, a 29er hard tail. You can't go wrong, there is so much infighting going on here about them it's like COPE. 26er Hard tails are so 2009... Flame suit on...

You shure you got the name right? Is it really called the Smegma? :thumbdown:

You shure you got the name right? Is it really called the Smegma? :thumbdown:

Erratum... Segma... I was thinking about what someone else called it on another thread...

Linton, did any of those shops ask you what your budget is, what type of riding you do, your current skill level instead of shooting poor ol' silverback down out of the blocks. If the answer is no...don't ever go back.

Silverback offer great value for money, like CAAD4 said the Segma is a great bike, price point wise...

BTW what is your budget, I am sure the guys on this forum will give you great advice

PS. I am a Morewood fanboy :thumbup:

Edited by rouxtjie

i would bet that the shops that had the negative things to say about silverback are not agents! my LBS is agents and they always rave about how good their after sales service is, i dont have a silverback but i cant say i know anyone that has had bad experiences with them, so i wouldnt pay too much attention to a bike salesman that is trying to sell you one of "his" brands

as part of your response, if it is that nothing is wrong with silverback, give your opinion as to why there is so much negativity regarding the frames.

I bet none of those stores stock them. That's already enough reason to knock them. The brand originated in South Africa, PE if I can remeMber correctly, another reason why some people knock them, just like Raleigh bashing, a sport on this forum where bike snobs have their say. A few Pro teams locally have ridden them, including Garmin a few years ago. They are all made in Taiwan, so maybe because they are well priced, they are perceived as cheap and nasty, which I do not agree with.

i would bet that the shops that had the negative things to say about silverback are not agents! my LBS is agents and they always rave about how good their after sales service is, i dont have a silverback but i cant say i know anyone that has had bad experiences with them, so i wouldnt pay too much attention to a bike salesman that is trying to sell you one of "his" brands

Yahtzee!

The Silverback bikes are awesome.... the new 29er is such a sweet ride...cannot go wrong!!

So they can get you too spend more money :unsure:

Erratum... Segma... I was thinking about what someone else called it on another thread...

Geesh! I googled "Smegma" before reading further. Thanks for the afternoon's gross-out! :blink:

My previous bike was a Silverback.

It never gave any problems!!!! I loved that bike.

Switched to Merida.

Since then my maintenance bill have sky rocketed!!!

Go with Silverback!!!

I think Silverback is a great brand, good value for money and nothing wrong with the frames. Fortunately for them they don't sell R799.00 versions at Makro like Raleigh did.