26er Losing All Value

RexFuzzle

Big wheels (bigger than 26") are not new to cycling yet somehow mtbks landed up with a 26" standard wheel size, surely this decison was based on some sort of real fact?

I find it hard to believe that the mtbk industry got it all wrong way back whenever....and only recently found out that 29" is better.

26" was decided purely on availability with no scientific input.

29" is an industry standard (700c) - once again decision on availability not science.

With the pros (excluding the Epic) riding a mixture of 26ers and 29ers I think it's safe to assume that the benefits (or disadvantages) of riding a 29er are fairly small.

It really comes down to riding style, tastes, marketing info as to which bike you buy.

Selling your 26" and dropping loads of cash on a 29er is crazy - if you are in the market for a new bike then it'll be a tough choice between the two.

Me personally - I'm in love with the 29er concept - I have 3 and don't regret a single purchase!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so give the tech a bit of time to mature then the prices of the 29ers will drop, hence giving you the choice at the shop between 26 and 29 and most people will go with 29 since you getting more for the same price, then the manufacturers will stop making 26 components etc and then the prices will drop... Hypothetically speaking of course... I'm not saying that the 26 will die out, but most people ride to enjoy it and it sounds like the 29 is the one to do that on?

Who said something about giving bikes away to a good home? My bikes sleep on the couch, I'm just saying....

Ok, so give the tech a bit of time to mature then the prices of the 29ers will drop, hence giving you the choice at the shop between 26 and 29 and most people will go with 29 since you getting more for the same price, then the manufacturers will stop making 26 components etc and then the prices will drop... Hypothetically speaking of course... I'm not saying that the 26 will die out, but most people ride to enjoy it and it sounds like the 29 is the one to do that on?

Who said something about giving bikes away to a good home? My bikes sleep on the couch, I'm just saying....

The components are identical on 26 and 29. Only difference is rims/tyres, fork and frame.

Going to buy a 29er soon but will only use it for races and use my 26 for practice.

You have a good point. I advise young newbies to get a 26" hardtail. Just as a dual-suspension makes you "lazy" on the trail, a 29" makes you "lazy" when reading lines. Hone your technical skills on a 26", preferably HT and then reap the rewards when racing with your 29".

You have a good point. I advise young newbies to get a 26" hardtail. Just as a dual-suspension makes you "lazy" on the trail, a 29" makes you "lazy" when reading lines. Hone your technical skills on a 26", preferably HT and then reap the rewards when racing with your 29".

At tyhe risk of sounding like a fringe lunatic - try riding a rigid single speed....it's amazing for your technical skills... Riding a single means having to look ahead constantly for rises/steep climbs etc so you can accelerate sufficiently to clear it. The rigid fork makes you "ride" the bumps rather than smash through them hoping the suspension will compensate enough for you not to die.

Anticipation and riding the course - two of the mtb basics!

What about reduced suspension travel on a 29er?

You do get 100mm travel frames and forks. But they say you already have a bit of suspension in the bigger volume tyres.

However, apparently the KHS 27.5er is like Albany, the best of both worlds but I cant vouch for that, never seen or ridden one.

This post has been edited by janneman72: Today, 01:36 PM

There is a lot validity in the 650b movement and with MOST frames and forks you only need to buy a new wheels set. you need half an inch clearance from your current wheel to fit a 27.5 (650b) wheel. You can order a american classic wheel prebuilt at the same price of 26/29 or you could get a ZTR 355 rim (new batch just made) and use your old hubs.....

i think a LOT of the south african market is VERY gullible

BURRY and SUZI have ALWAYS been dominant at epic stages irrespective of their wheel size. this year they had awesome form and very good luck..

PLEASE remember the EPIC is similar to le Tour...suppliers bring on the NEW goodies...

oh look at what the pros are winning on!!!!

preaching at the wrong crowd here are'nt we?

I am lucky I don’t have to make the big decision. I am 1,7m short. A 29er will just be too clumsy … or am I wrong?

PLEASE remember the EPIC is similar to le Tour...suppliers bring on the NEW goodies...

oh look at what the pros are winning on!!!!

preaching at the wrong crowd here are'nt we?

I agree with Jeepdude!

The winners of the Epic has big sponsers behind them as they have been performing well for a while...

They did not end in the top 15 BECAUSE of the 29ers they were on, but more because of their form.

They were just riding what the sponsers supplied...

The finishing order would most probably have looked the same even if the riders were allowed to choose their own bike.

I own a 26" HT & love it to bits! Have tried a friend's 29er and it felt fine too...so personal preference should inform your buyng decisions.

I suggest the "Try-before-you-buy" days, (or borrow some bikes from your friends and check what works for you)

"and if that doesn't go down well...you can always have a Savannah" :thumbup:

Bla bla bla 29er blabla 26er bla bla. 29er pro bla bla

29er con bla bla

26er pro bla bla

26er con bla bla

It is not the bow it is the indian.