Lights Lumens and what not

Bike Lore

Looked at the ryder on and did not come close to Majik,I also hope you bought the geniune item and not one of the chinese knock off that is circulating as Majikshines.

If you want anything better than a majik shine, for quality, durability, and brightness I am afraid youll have to fork aout about 7k for a ayup.

Hay C. here are some info for you. The manufacture "Shenzhen Minjun Electronic CO.,LTD" address is Building D, Huali Industrial Zone, 28 Baoan District, Shenzhen, China. They are the OEM of Magicshine. Check their site www.headlamp.cn Magiclight was one of the first distributors that imported there light to ZA. they sell mainly to the shops. The ML1000 is a MJ808E but in a nice box with ZA support.

There are other manufactures that also make lights like this. Based on the same design. And some are even better quality than Minjun product but that is not always the case.

Just for some background info go check lupine Tesla http://www.lupine.de...ghtheads/tesla/ I am of the option that Minjun was contracted by Lupine to manufacture the Tesla but somewhere down the line they started selling direct. I really don’t see the point of paying 7K for a light that cost R350 to make. How much more reliable can it be? If it last 3 years then you will be so far behind with current technology by then that buying a new light is not a bad idea.

Something that I have seen is that manufactures overate there product to sell. Because your eyes can only ditect a doubling a light output being 30% darker is hard to spot and they get away with it. There are also other ways of tricking people to think the light is bright. For example having a very narrow beam reduces the area that is illuminated.

For example if you half the diameter of the outside of the beam pattern then the smaller light will be 4 times brighter using the same emitter.

The MJ808E/ML1000 has a very wide beam pattern but with a condensed spot. Which give you the best of two world. The MJ870/MJ872 are to the other side with an extremely wide beam but not focal point.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hay C. here are some info for you. The manufacture "Shenzhen Minjun Electronic CO.,LTD" address is Building D, Huali Industrial Zone, 28 Baoan District, Shenzhen, China. They are the OEM of Magicshine. Check their site www.headlamp.cn Magiclight was one of the first distributors that imported there light to ZA. they sell mainly to the shops. The ML1000 is a MJ808E but in a nice box with ZA support.

There are other manufactures that also make lights like this. Based on the same design. And some are even better quality than Minjun product but that is not always the case.

Just for some background info go check lupine Tesla http://www.lupine.de...ghtheads/tesla/ I am of the option that Minjun was contracted by Lupine to manufacture the Tesla but somewhere down the line they started selling direct. I really don’t see the point of paying 7K for a light that cost R350 to make. How much more reliable can it be? If it last 3 years then you will be so far behind with current technology by then that buying a new light is not a bad idea.

Something that I have seen is that manufactures overate there product to sell. Because your eyes can only ditect a doubling a light output being 30% darker is hard to spot and they get away with it. There are also other ways of tricking people to think the light is bright. For example having a very narrow beam reduces the area that is illuminated.

For example if you half the diameter of the outside of the beam pattern then the smaller light will be 4 times brighter using the same emitter.

The MJ808E/ML1000 has a very wide beam pattern but with a condensed spot. Which give you the best of two world. The MJ870/MJ872 are to the other side with an extremely wide beam but not focal point.

Yeah i know its made in China, but theres a huge diff between OEM manufacturing and a knock off :) there have been loads of knock offs doing the rounds and everyone complains about them, Ive never had a bad experiance with Magicshine, or their lights, however no product is perfect by design, engineering or manufacture, so im sure people have good and bad things to say.

The diff as well is that at least there is local support for the OEM version. In my humble opinion i would by the ryder to provide ambient lighting fitted to my handlebar, and my magic to actually see where im going mounted on the pip.

Yeah i know its made in China, but theres a huge diff between OEM manufacturing and a knock off :) there have been loads of knock offs doing the rounds and everyone complains about them, Ive never had a bad experiance with Magicshine, or their lights, however no product is perfect by design, engineering or manufacture, so im sure people have good and bad things to say.

The diff as well is that at least there is local support for the OEM version. In my humble opinion i would by the ryder to provide ambient lighting fitted to my handlebar, and my magic to actually see where im going mounted on the pip.

that is true. But Magic shine has come a long way. A few year you could counton a failure of 1/10 now it is about 1/200

Yes, I did import mine. I thought all majik shine is the same.

So where do I get the better quality majik shine for the best price?

Thanks

I stand under correction here but the "expensive" ones that are sold through local distrubutors come with a warranty and back up service which culminates in peace of mind. If you are willing to carry the warranty yourself, you can import two light for the price of one locally bought item.

They probably come from the same factory just some are "grey imports".

Great insights and info- thanks a lot.

Just a thought- LUX is actually a VERY accurate rating seeings as it is used in the occupational health and safety act, as well as the Mine Health and Safety act. THe ratings therein are however, given at certain distances, eg

"all underground transport should be equipt with lighting rated no less than 10 LUX at a distance of 15 metres"

This distance is measured at various angles around the source of the light and NOT just at one specific point...

I therefor disagree with you on that point.

you want to use the Mining Health and safety act definition of luminous flux measurements on cycling lights? I have one problem with this: who's act should be used? :unsure:

ZA? USA? chine? the problem is that manufactures don't at hear to the same standard as the mining industry. The UK Lux rating will be different than US, Austrian, European, Japan or Indian. :blink:

The thing is one needs to know what you want to know. Why are you asking that question… if you don’t know the answer to why the question is asked the question does not really matter does it.

The metric SI Lux unit only refers to “energy received at a point of a specific wavelength spectrum”. Nothing more. To convert back to Lumen one can use the SI standerd to determine how much lumen light must generate at a distance to get that Lux.

But why do you want to use Lux, or light at a point? And what if what you really want to see is 20 meter away? Or 50? What then? two lights may give the same lux reading at 15 meter but different at 30m.. think angles.

All lights aren’t used the same so there can’t be one standard Lux measurements procedure for all lights. The real question is how much visible energy gets transmitted to an area. Not how much energy is received at points spaced at specific distances. What if the one light generate more visible energy but due to is beam pattern is rate low on the the Mining Health and safety act….

With the Act you are revering to there are several assumptions made. The major 1 is that the light is defused. No beam deformities or photon alignment(Laser). The question for them is how bright should an object be at a specific distances. This measurement of the light is acceptable for what ever use they have in mind. Not necessarily cycling

But it is good to differ,

Hannes, great post, thanks

Your comment "Last year after converting my handle bar lights to a +2000 lumen monster I ran in to some issue. When on a single track my eyes adjusted to the light and when I came around the corner and my bike was pointing the wrong way it was pitch black. I had no idea where I was going. Then a mist came in to the forest and I could not see a thing. There was a wall of white in front of me. But when I dimmed the light to 700 Lumen I was ok."

... I also figured this would be a problem, i.e. "the more lumens you throw at the trail the better" argument. I'm not sure that bigger, er... brighter, really is better in this case and there's probably a point where too high it too much, as you said. I read in one of the UK WMB or MBR mags once about a light with some amazing amount of lumens that really was not that good in practice as it had a "whiteout" of light that (1) blinded you peripherally as you mentioned and (2) eliminated much of the contrast that a lower intensity would have provided and as such your depth perception was inhibited. So that deep rut looks quite shallow because so much light washes into it and you only discover how deep it is when you hit it unprepared.

I've got a set of Ay-Up V4's (sorry it's the only Aussie thing I've ever bought :blush:) which is a set of 2 lights mounted on your bars and another 2 on your helmet. Each set is only 320 lumens, but because you can have a different beam pattern on the bars than on your helmet, and you have in effect 4 small, separately adjustable lights, you can get an almost perfect collective beam pattern that's good enough for technical trail riding and will not blind you or your mates. Very nice set with more mounting options than you'll ever need, 3 batteries, and the lights weigh two-fifths of f'all, so no hassle to have on your helmet. No exactly cheap at R3599 for whole set though.

Link to local distributor: http://www.easygis.co.za/shop/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=21&zenid=174b3c784fb782099bcbd1a0189fe7bd

Hannes, you're wrong about LUX.... you don't understand anything about it.

Do your homework and learn how a light measuring sphere work...

as of always Johannes comes with the most illuminatingcomment.

:clap:

Hannes, you're OPINION about how LUX ratings on a specific light MAY be confusing can be argued to have substance, BUT you're definition on LUX is definately NOT RIGHT. If it was, why would all the lighting on sport fields be measured with a LUX meter?

Definately is good to differ, i agree!

O, seeing as we are in ZA, i was refering to ZA's Mine Health and Safety act, as well as ZA's occupational health and safety act.

See http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/light-level-rooms-d_708.html for reference. I promise you there is not just ONE specific place where lighting is measured on a sports field. Hau! She's too biiiiiiiiig!

Seeing as Hannes is wrong, ergo you must be right, so... care to educate Hannes, and us?

Whether he's right or wrong, he in put in quite a bit of effort posting something interesting, educational, and I'd venture, largely accurate, so do him the courtesy of doing the same.

Gotta go, popcorn's ready....

Archived