Asma Pump for an unfair advantage?

Vetseun

Of course it would matter, it would have a different effect on a non ashmatic as it would to me. Its helping me breath(Im asthmatic) but for the non-asthmatic is enhancing.

The newer generation asthma pumps are highly selective to the beta-2 cells in the airways and thus the only effect it will have is to open your bronchi. Willit have a bigger affect in non-asthmatics?---not massive, bronchi/airways can only dilate that much.

Will it give pro's that five milliseconds advantage--yes. Will it make an avarage joe a podium finisher--NOT A CHANCE!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Asthma pumps will have different effects on an asthmatic then a non asthmatic. I can't see how someone with asthma would use it for performance enhancement, gosh it just allows me to barely breath sometimes, but I can see how it would can get abused by the ones claiming they have got asthma. Its very hard to prove that you don't have asthma - Like someone said, no wonder half the peleton have

"asthma"

To lodge a TUE request at WADA you need to provide a positive Bronchodilator Inspiration/Experation Flow Volume test.

CAN'T fake that.

Edited by Regard

Funny how in all my years of playing various sports i never knew or heard of anyone suffering from asthma. Until i started cycling...

OK, I can see the medication is strong in me today. No more posting. I need to first find that article on sports cheating asthma attacks before I post from my rather fuzzy memory again.

I even had to sue a Dentist in the UK for almost killing me from prescibing me Ibuprofen( he never read my medical history before an operation) It had to be published in the medical jounals because he lost the case.

The reason Ive mentioned that is cause I had to be pretty clued up on whats what for the court case :)

To lodge a TUE request at WADA you need to provide a positive Bronchodilator Inspiration/Experation Flow Volume test.

CAN'T fake that.

Yeah you can, thats how that get away with it ;)

However, this being said, I use a pump before training to prevent (very mild) attacks, and do not notice any performance enhancement... I only notice when I don;t take the pump and I am wheezing very early into a run in particular sucking for air when I should be comfortable.

selle hier.... smile.gif

The newer generation asthma pumps are highly selective to the beta-2 cells in the airways and thus the only effect it will have is to open your bronchi. Willit have a bigger affect in non-asthmatics?---not massive, bronchi/airways can only dilate that much.

Will it give pro's that five milliseconds advantage--yes. Will it make an avarage joe a podium finisher--NOT A CHANCE!

I'm surprised the guy didn't fall off his bike from a head rush. I know when I've had a bad attack, I use three or four pumps(sometimes more) and I have fallen over from being so dizzy.

Another things he is probably not getting a proper inhale, no wonder he is taking so much.

This guy evidently has no clue about what he is doing. I am suffer with chronic asthma and taking even two puffs of a reliever gives heart palpitations. How anyone can go through a canister in one race and not have heart issues is beyond me, and is downright dangerous. I am on 6 puffs of a steriod pump per day (Symbicord), plus the reliever when exercising and yet still my chest is continually full of gunk. I have to carry both pumps during races else i wont finish even though i am always last! Maybe it is performance enhancing, but at what risk? Puffing on a reliever is dangerous and stupid for those who are not asthmatic. I cannot help but wonder if for some it is more the mental effect rather than the physical.

Very possible that its mental. he feels it works for him, damn dangerous as well, and all that just to place in a minor race

This guy evidently has no clue about what he is doing. I am suffer with chronic asthma and taking even two puffs of a reliever gives heart palpitations. How anyone can go through a canister in one race and not have heart issues is beyond me, and is downright dangerous. I am on 6 puffs of a steriod pump per day (Symbicord), plus the reliever when exercising and yet still my chest is continually full of gunk. I have to carry both pumps during races else i wont finish even though i am always last! Maybe it is performance enhancing, but at what risk? Puffing on a reliever is dangerous and stupid for those who are not asthmatic. I cannot help but wonder if for some it is more the mental effect rather than the physical.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Maybe the guy is just mental

Guest agteros

You get asthma pumps and asthma pumps..........

Some are completly prohibeted by WADA and others not.

E.g: Two of the most commonly used inhalers Symbicort and Seretide. Symbicort prohibitted and Seretide allowed by WADA.

Can of worms...........

Seretide, docs are fond of prescribing it to kids as well. Unfortunately it can hamper their growth :angry:

Seretide, docs are fond of prescribing it to kids as well. Unfortunately it can hamper their growth :angry:

Not true at all.

As I mentioned in my other post, this is a highly selective corticoid that only works in the lungs. Very, very little systemic effects.

It is the chronic use of systemic corticoids that hamper growth. These include Prednisones like Pulmison, Panafcort, Aspelone etc, etc.

These are brilliant drugs but only for short term treatment.

Guest agteros

Not true at all.

As I mentioned in my other post, this is a highly selective corticoid that only works in the lungs. Very, very little systemic effects.

It is the chronic use of systemic corticoids that hamper growth. These include Prednisones like Pulmison, Panafcort, Aspelone etc, etc.

These are brilliant drugs but only for short term treatment.

Please read the pamphlet that comes with Seretide!

I'd love for you to come and educate my asthmatic sons (new) paediatrician as to the possible side effects of Seretide use in children.

To further your knowledge regarding Seretide, please start by reading the pages linked to on this Google search http://www.google.co...ildren&ie=utf-8

A full refutation of all articles in that search confirming my statement (including the scholarly ones) is eagerly anticipated! Until such time I stand by my statement that Seretide CAN (not WILL) hamper a childs growth!

Seretide accuhalers contain Salmeterol and Fluticasone Propionate, and it is the latter that CAN cause the growth retardation.

"Possible systemic effects from Fluticasone Propionate include Cushing’s syndrome, Cushingoid features, adrenal suppression, growth retardation in children and adolescents, decrease in bone mineral density, cataract and glaucoma"

Possible side effects from Salmeterol are

"The pharmacological adverse effects of β
-agonist treatment eg, tremor, subjective palpitations and headache, have been reported, but tend to be transient and reduce with regular therapy.

Cardiac arrhythmias (including atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia and extrasystoles) may occur, usually in susceptible patients.

There have been reports of arthralgia and hypersensitivity reactions, including anaphylactic reactions eg, edema and angioedema, bronchospasm and anaphylactic shock have been reported very rarely. There have also been uncommon reports of rash.

There have been reports of oropharyngeal irritation.

There have been rare reports of muscle cramps.

There have been very rare reports of hyperglycemia."

There is no such thing as a wonder drug, the all have side effects, sometimes adverse!

Pity I do not have the pamphlets that came with the Seretide any longer, as I turfed everything Seretide after the Peaditrican changed his chronic asthma medication.

Please read the pamphlet that comes with Seretide!

I'd love for you to come and educate my asthmatic sons (new) paediatrician as to the possible side effects of Seretide use in children.

To further your knowledge regarding Seretide, please start by reading the pages linked to on this Google search http://www.google.co...ildren&ie=utf-8

A full refutation of all articles in that search confirming my statement (including the scholarly ones) is eagerly anticipated! Until such time I stand by my statement that Seretide CAN (not WILL) hamper a childs growth!

Seretide accuhalers contain Salmeterol and Fluticasone Propionate, and it is the latter that CAN cause the growth retardation.

"Possible systemic effects from Fluticasone Propionate include Cushing’s syndrome, Cushingoid features, adrenal suppression, growth retardation in children and adolescents, decrease in bone mineral density, cataract and glaucoma"

Possible side effects from Salmeterol are

"The pharmacological adverse effects of β
-agonist treatment eg, tremor, subjective palpitations and headache, have been reported, but tend to be transient and reduce with regular therapy.

Cardiac arrhythmias (including atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia and extrasystoles) may occur, usually in susceptible patients.

There have been reports of arthralgia and hypersensitivity reactions, including anaphylactic reactions eg, edema and angioedema, bronchospasm and anaphylactic shock have been reported very rarely. There have also been uncommon reports of rash.

There have been reports of oropharyngeal irritation.

There have been rare reports of muscle cramps.

There have been very rare reports of hyperglycemia."

There is no such thing as a wonder drug, the all have side effects, sometimes adverse!

Pity I do not have the pamphlets that came with the Seretide any longer, as I turfed everything Seretide after the Peaditrican changed his chronic asthma medication.

So mister know it all, on what wonder drug did he put your son on?

I would love to find out which drug would control your son's asthma and does not contain a steroid????

p.s Try this search....PANADO+ LIVER FAILURE+ SUDDEN DEATH SYNDROME...

Now would you ever give your son Panado again?

All chronic maintenance asthma meds are steroids in one form or the other. It is only the Beta 2 stimulants which are not, and they are not asthma meds for chronic use, they are for emergency use only. The only other class is the Leucotrine receptor blckers and they are only add on meds to asthma meds.

p.p.s Becarefull of who you want to educate here...I might just be your kids paediatrician.

Edited by Regard