Asma Pump for an unfair advantage?

Vetseun

my 9 year old is an asthmatic and when she went through a bad season the doc put her onto an aggressive course of meds(2 separate pumps) and warned us that her growth will be retarded during the course. I was sceptical of this and he took her measurements during each visit (this lasted for 6months) and two months after she stopped the meds when her asthma was under control, she started growth spurts which was clearly more pronounced after she had stopped. It did'nt help that our family is not blessed with an over-abundance the height gene :D. So there does seem to be some truth in the matter. BTW The one pump was Budaflem and I cant remember what the other one was. Just my 23cents worth. Also, one of the reasons salbutamol is on the banned list is because it is used as a masking agent used to mask the use of certain other performance enhancing drugs.

Edited by ThaStig

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest agteros

So mister know it all, on what wonder drug did he put your son on?

I would love to find out which drug would control your son's asthma and does not contain a steroid????

p.s Try this search....PANADO+ LIVER FAILURE+ SUDDEN DEATH SYNDROME...

Now would you ever give your son Panado again?

All chronic maintenance asthma meds are steroids in one form or the other. It is only the Beta 2 stimulants which are not, and they are not asthma meds for chronic use, they are for emergency use only. The only other class is the Leucotrine receptor blckers and they are only add on meds to asthma meds.

p.p.s Becarefull of who you want to educate here...I might just be your kids paediatrician.

I'm not going to discuss the full extent of his medical treatment for his asthma here with you. I need your practice number,list of specialities as well as references for treating kids with asthma before that will happen. Prefer this to happen offline, even over a desk in an office?

As I've said,and confirmed by yourself, there are not wonder drugs. Even the simplest have side effects.

Glad to hear you are coming out of the closet and started wearing skirts Melanie(or do you prefer Regard?) :P

Grappies op 'n stokkie though, ek het net 'n korreksie op 'n 'wide, sweeping statement' gemaak. Nie persoonlik aangeval nie, nog probeer 'educate', net persoonlike kennis en ervaring gedeel. Maak daarmee wat jy wil.

Jy is egter welkom on ONS te 'educate'! Lyk of jy skimp dat jy spesialis mediese kennis het.

I'm not going to discuss the full extent of his medical treatment for his asthma here with you. I need your practice number,list of specialities as well as references for treating kids with asthma before that will happen. Prefer this to happen offline, even over a desk in an office?

As I've said,and confirmed by yourself, there are not wonder drugs. Even the simplest have side effects.

Glad to hear you are coming out of the closet and started wearing skirts Melanie(or do you prefer Regard?) :P

Grappies op 'n stokkie though, ek het net 'n korreksie op 'n 'wide, sweeping statement' gemaak. Nie persoonlik aangeval nie, nog probeer 'educate', net persoonlike kennis en ervaring gedeel. Maak daarmee wat jy wil.

Jy is egter welkom on ONS te 'educate'! Lyk of jy skimp dat jy spesialis mediese kennis het.

Ja, ja, miskien of miskien nie en my mp. en prak.no. oor 'n public forum---nie so goeie idee!

Ons het almal van die punt afgedwaal. Soos jy self gese het, alles het komplikasies en dit is waarom een van die moeilikste besliute in medisyne die "risk vs cure" besliut is, blah, blah, blah

To get back to the OP's original Q and my intial point:

Will it give you such a massive advantage(from Joe Slow to pro) NO. Do top pro's use it to mask other drugs and get that 1 second advantage: sometimes

OK just stole this out of my wife meds .... hope it works :thumbup: watch me at the next race :clap:

post-271-0-74881900-1302724072.jpg

:o of course its going to work!! With Mrs BB chasing after you with a big stick you sure will ride faster !

OK just stole this out of my wife meds .... hope it works :thumbup: watch me at the next race :clap:

post-271-0-74881900-1302724072.jpg

Just like mine but it does not help at all.

Just like mine but it does not help at all.

Jirre dude now you got me in serious pooh :(

Told her it's crap and threw it in the bin, now I'm sleeping with the frikkin dogs in that funny igloo looking thing tonight :angry:

You actually no longer need a TUE for salbutamol and salmeterol (as of 2010). You just need to declare it before you have a drugs test and there are limits. On that note, I can see hundreds of cyclists now going to a pulmonologist for a prescription.

Kids, whether you have medical know-how or not, remember these two little adages:

1. No effect without side effect.

2. Cheating completely violates the point of competition.

If you whack an asthma pump to go faster (I know someone very close to me who does this) it is unethical and immoral. Why not just get a blood transfusion, schnaffle a handful of horse steroids, fire up a massive pot belge spliff, turn on the electric motor in your downtube, hang on to a car and take a shortcut. The principle is compromised, so you might as well.

It's exactly the same thing.

Oh, ya, and let's try remember again, what do we ride our bikes for? To win a couple of hundred bucks at the kerkbasaar and die of an early heart attack, or for health and fitness? The second one gets my OK.

Taken from Fina.org (Int swimming regulations - presume it applies to cycling as well)

Special note about Declaration of Use

The 2011 International Standard for TUEs was only slightly modified. The only section changed was Section 9.0 which refers to the Declaration of Use. In the 2011 Prohibited List, all reference to Declaration of Use has been removed.

The Declaration of Use was previously required for three substances:

1. Salbutamol and Salmeterol by inhalation

2. Gluccocorticosteroids by intraarticular, periarticular, peritendionous, epidureal, intradermal and inhalation routes.

3. Platelet-derived preparations (PRP) by all other routes other than intramuscular.

PRP by intramuscular injection was removed from the Prohibited List in 2011 and therefore no longer requires a therapeutic use exemption.

Note that as per the International Standard for Testing, athletes are still requested to write down all medications or substances taken in the last 7 days on the Doping Control Form, at the time of testing.

THERAPEUTIC USE EXEMPTION (TUE) - 2010 Procedures

FINA would like to remind competitors, physicians, therapists, coaches, administrators and other members of the FINA Family about the change in status of certain beta-2 agonists which are commonly used to treat asthma, and the re-introduction of pseudoephedrine to the Prohibited List.

Effective January 1, 2010 changes to the WADA Prohibited List have resulted in the re-classification of 2 commonly prescribed medications for the care and control of asthma.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT ALL ASTHMATIC COMPETITORS AND THEIR PHYSICIANS ARE MADE AWARE OF THESE CHANGES.

Salbutamol and salmeterol are no longer prohibited when administered by inhalation only. Thus it is no longer necessary to request a Therapeutic Use Exemption for their use. They require a “Declaration of Use”, which should be provided to FINA (for international competitors), noted at the time of any testing on the doping control form, or submitted using ADAMS.

Salbutamol is still prohibited when administered by any route other than inhalation, e.g. when administered orally (pill form). It is very important to note that if salbutamol is detected during drug testing procedures at a level above 1000 ng/mL, the athlete will have the burden of demonstrating through a controlled study that this urinary level was the result of inhaled, therapeutic, use of this medication. Salbutamol is known as albuterol in the USA.

All other beta-2 agonists (e.g. terbutaline and formoterol) are still prohibited when administered by any route, including inhalation, and their use will require a TUE application supported by the appropriate medical information and the results of appropriate pulmonary function tests. In addition, asthmatic athletes selected for doping control must remember to declare the use of all prescribed medications (e.g., asthma medications and glucocorticosteroids) and all non-prescribed medications and supplements taken in the last 10 days.

Edited by Cycho

So basically it sems as though the use of Salbutamol through an inhaler has such an insignificant performance enhancement, it now only needs a delcaration of use? If I am understanding the above correctly?

okei, ek het ook nou 'n hoesie.. Ek dink ek moet ook 'n asma pompie kry.

Ken jy nie mense met hiper active kinders, gaan try een van daai "R" pillitjies, dan ry jy hom so ver weg, dan wanneer hy by die einde aankom le jy al op die message tafel.