Fox F80 Terralogic VS Rock Shox Dart 3

Wannabe

Being a bit ignorant as far as Mtb stuff go, the following questions:

1)-How much better is the Fox than the Rock Shox?

2)-What is the pros and cons of the Fox?

3)-How often does it need servicing? Cost and Difficulty?

4)-What needs to be done at a service?

5)-What would be an acceptable price to pay for a good condition, recently serviced 2008 model?

Can also get 2nd hand Avid Juicy 3's.

1)-What would be a good price to pay (not sure of year model, think they might be 2010)

2)-Any obvious weaknesses with them?

3)-Which other brakes would you suggest in the same price/performance bracket?

Slowly busy upgrading my bike. Can't afford new stuff, so 2nd hand is the way to go for me. Now time for brakes first, and then Fork.

PLEASE GUYS, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO ADD, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING DRIVEL/TROLLING.

Being a bit ignorant as far as Mtb stuff go, the following questions:

1)-How much better is the Fox than the Rock Shox? between these models Fox is light years ahead

2)-What is the pros and cons of the Fox? pros= it's a Fox. cons=price of spares

3)-How often does it need servicing? Cost and Difficulty? Fox=every 50hours or so. Can be done at home

4)-What needs to be done at a service? replace oil. check seals and replace if needed

5)-What would be an acceptable price to pay for a good condition, recently serviced 2008 model? about R2500

Can also get 2nd hand Avid Juicy 3's.

1)-What would be a good price to pay (not sure of year model, think they might be 2010) R1000

2)-Any obvious weaknesses with them? I loved mine. Never a days problems. Not even the usual Avid squeels

3)-Which other brakes would you suggest in the same price/performance bracket? See if you can't stretch you budget for XT

Slowly busy upgrading my bike. Can't afford new stuff, so 2nd hand is the way to go for me. Now time for brakes first, and then Fork.

PLEASE GUYS, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO ADD, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING DRIVEL/TROLLING.

I would never even consider the Dart 3! I'd rather had a rigid fork, seriously!

A mate has the F80 terralogic from about 2007 and it performs better than my now replaced Recon solo air 2008.

XT brakes are decent. Got them currently. Stopping power could be better but I do run very holey rotors with sintered pads.

I would never even consider the Dart 3! I'd rather had a rigid fork, seriously!

A mate has the F80 terralogic from about 2007 and it performs better than my now replaced Recon solo air 2008.

XT brakes are decent. Got them currently. Stopping power could be better but I do run very holey rotors with sintered pads.

Currently got the Dart 3. Is better than the Suntour XC60 I had before. :D

Oh heavens yes, you are right about that. Now you have 40mm instead of 25mm of usable travel on a 100mm fork ;)

I have a 2007 Terralogic F80X and it works a treat. Set it and forget it. Very nice when getting out of the saddle, although not a complete lock-out but near enough. I have had to learn to give it a quick bump before entering the rough stuff though (eg entering a dark bush tunnel), otherwise you can get caught off-guard by the first rock.

I have no idea how involved the servicing is as I bought it fairly recently and only use it for racing (and I have not done much this year).

wannabe: If you paying R1000 for 2nd hand Avid J3's, you paying at least double what' it's worth new.

Price for 2nd hand J3s? i'd say R300. But feel free to buy my J5s for R1000. hell, i've even give you R300 back ;)

maybe Mampara meant R100?

And the dart 3 is about double the weight of the Terralogic..well maybe not double but it sure feels heavy!! :D

No-brainer on the Fox over the Dart.

Good tip that about activating the magnet before the rough stuff, though.

Enjoy the build! :thumbup: