Tyre alternative to Conti Mountain King

PYGA1

Hi All, I start Joberg2c next week Friday and need a new tyre on the back wheel. I currently ride Conti Mountain Kings but cannot find their UST tyres anywhere due to a global Conti shortage.

I have used Kenda Nevegal's before but went through 3 tyres in 6 months due to tears etc so clearly not the most reliable tyres.

Can anybody suggest an alternative brand & model that is similar to the Mountain King, priorities are reliabilty and grip, not concerned about weight, looking for a 2.2inch UST.

Thanks

schwalbe nobby nic perhaps

Don't know if I will run grippy tyres front and back but hey...if it works for you.

PS I saw some of the new conti X-kings at solomons in woodmead over the weekend, they are supposed to have good grip and roll better than the mk's.

What about a Conti Race King on the back. A mate did the J2C last year on a Mountain King at the front & Race King at the back.

Edited by Caerus

Try Chris Willemse Online - I Rode the Epic with a Race king at the back and a Mountain king at the front. Would not do any other combo.

I can arrange a race king if you want one.

I run a GEAX AKA 2.2 on the back. Super grippy in dry-ish conditions and rolls quite fast. I have also run the GEAX Saguro on the back, but prefer the Sag on the front at the moment.

My wet weather combo is Conti X-King 2.2 back, Mountain King 2.4 front.

Hi All, I start Joberg2c next week Friday and need a new tyre on the back wheel. I currently ride Conti Mountain Kings but cannot find their UST tyres anywhere due to a global Conti shortage.

I have used Kenda Nevegal's before but went through 3 tyres in 6 months due to tears etc so clearly not the most reliable tyres.

Can anybody suggest an alternative brand & model that is similar to the Mountain King, priorities are reliabilty and grip, not concerned about weight, looking for a 2.2inch UST.

Thanks

Just go with the tried and trusted combo of a Maxxis Monorail upfront and Maxxis Crossmark at the back. Worked for me at the Epic. Not one puncture ( both me and my partner).

Nobby Nics are the wrong tyre for you - they grip brilliantly but are a very soft rubber so the sidewalls are soft to sharp rocks and similar.

Nobby Nics are the wrong tyre for you - they grip brilliantly but are a very soft rubber so the sidewalls are soft to sharp rocks and similar.

Even their UST models?

Geax Saguaro for the rear will be perfect. As grippy (traction and braking) as the mt king, long lasting (harder compound on the centre knobs) and has really low rolling resistance compared to the mt king. Also has sidewall cut protection strip. See you on the start line (spectator :( )

"Even their UST models?"

Yes. Although the thicker sidewalls makes sealing work well. Schalbe NN optimise grip and weight - not grip and reliability.

"Even their UST models?"

Yes. Although the thicker sidewalls makes sealing work well. Schalbe NN optimise grip and weight - not grip and reliability.

Well there goes me ever buying schwalbe's Nobby Nic's :thumbdown:

schwalbe nobby nic perhaps

Don't know if I will run grippy tyres front and back but hey...if it works for you.

PS I saw some of the new conti X-kings at solomons in woodmead over the weekend, they are supposed to have good grip and roll better than the mk's.

Where the hell are you guys getting the X-Kings from, dont even think they have arrived at Conti in SA yet. Has a outside suppier got them if so let me know want 2 , X-King protection 2.2's

Edited by Big J-WP

What about a Conti Race King on the back. A mate did the J2C last year on a Mountain King at the front & Race King at the back.

So did I , best combo yet. 2.4 MK in front 2.2 RK on back.