Best Time to Train

I sometimes get that, but usually only when I get the dose wrong.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is just nuts! If you are going to be training for more than an hour, eat something beforehand. Unless you weigh 120kg, you have enough reserves to go by and your aim is to loose weight. Not sure that it is the healthiest way to do it but anyway.

I actually go for two hour rides before eating, and as yet have not had an issue. You do touch on the reason though....I have more than enough reserves :blush: My aim is to lose the reserves at which point your logic will kick in.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I train in summer at 4:45 and winter start at 5:15am and ride until 7.

The roads are quieter, and I feel safer, plus you can see the lights of cars approaching from the rear, so you get a heads up. I try ride with a group of 2 -3 guys at least - it means you cant hit snooze and leave them waiting in the road. Training alone at that time of day is near impossible :lol:

I also ride on water and without breakfast, been doing so for 3 years now so am quite used to it, actually hardly drink 200ml on a 50km ride in the mornings.

Good headlights are a must, as well as rear lights for safety. It's also generally colder in the mornings so you need to dress up nice and snug, and still wear sunmoonglasses, but with high vis lenses or clear - you still need to protect your eyes from stones and moths flying at you in the dark!

I train in the mountain too and am used to having my run of the forest to go where I please...on the weekends I ride later and am surprised at how many people are in my way on my mountain...then I realise the sun is up and the other poeple are out of bed too! :P

My main reason for morning workouts is family - I get to train while they are asleep, and can be home for dinner and stuff...also daily distractions/slumps don't get in the way. Plus I know I'm always fuelled the same - empty!

I just set out all my clothes and prep my bike the night before so I know it's a quick get up and go.

The best way to wake up fast is to switch the lights on in your house... your brain reacts to light.

That is just nuts! If you are going to be training for more than an hour, eat something beforehand. Unless you weigh 120kg, you have enough reserves to go by and your aim is to loose weight. Not sure that it is the healthiest way to do it but anyway.

The last time you refueled your body was more than 10 hours ago before you had dinner the previous night. You sugar levels dropped and now you want to go do a two hour ride with nothing in you stomach, nuts!

There is a reason why you should not get "used to it". It is you body's natural way of telling you ... "feeeeeed me, I need energy!" I can not even cycle around the block without having breakfast.

Perhaps some nutritionist can shed some light here

Trainers call it IMTG rides.

I can train 2 hours on zero food, only water and still perform interval sessions, climbs to the mast etc... you have enough glycogen in your muscles. you are not using energy out of your stomach. You will also metobolize fat stores, and train your body to use fat more efficiently.

On weekend rides I start on zero and eat at 1:30, but ride on a carb drink.

I try ride with a group of 2 -3 guys at least - it means you cant hit snooze and leave them waiting in the road. Training alone at that time of day is near impossible :lol:

I have no problem doing that. Maybe it's cause I'm a f*&kin bastard though.

Agree with all above. Early morning is safer. Does not interfere with family and work. Once at work theres no chance I'm going to get any afternoon training done. It sucks having to get up at 4h30 but discipline must prevail if you want to do those things you love doing.

The only issue I have is that running at 5am is not the same as running say at 12 midday after a 90km or 180km cycle. So when I actually do races and end up running in the heat of the day I really struggle.

Early mornings on weekends and once a week after work I hit the gym bikes. In the summer I tended to try and put in a short session on the mountain once a week after work as well.

What can I say? I'm not a pro, so more training is taking away family time. Furthermore, I work out of town. So before work is a no-go, and I think there's about 3 months where there's some light left after work by the time I pitch up at home.

And family is also why I go at it early (mostly - except when mrs works and I have to sit "the shorty"). Wake up early anyways. Mostly I'm back (unless it's a pre-planned looong ride) before they've even gotten out of their jamies. So no interruptions and if there's an outing, I can go along.

If I may add my 2c worth.

Hydration & Fueling has been a hot topic forever (Caveman A used to carry a little bark with him on Mammoth Hunts, having something to chew on when the pickings were slim, Caveman B called him a pissy).

While it is now uniformly accepted that you can train for an hour without any fuel or water AND you can train for 2 hours with only water, it all comes down to you: You have to find what works best for you.

So experiment with various options of solids and liquids depending on training time.

You are going to spend a lot of time training, you might as well keep it interesting with playing around with your "fueling strategy". See that already sounds hardcore!

A jogger told me yesterday that when she runs early morning she sees plenty of cyclists out on the roads, whereas when I go for my afternoon ride/commute I only see one or two. Do most people cycle early morning? Is it better to train at certain times of the day rather than other times? I would go in the mornings but I can't get out of bed until about 7:30, though if it's better to train early morning I'll make the effort.

What time do you guys normally train at, and for how long (week-days)?

I train during the time I race.

Early mornings.

Winter is tougher - darker, colder.

Don't like training with lights.

Fortunately, I can ride anytime I am at home as I do not have a 9-5 job.

Afternoons work for me, in the mornings I just feel sleepy and lethargic! I also like watching sunsets instead of sunrise!

Don't like training with lights.

Yeah, but with your fancy new lycra pant, you should have no problem.

Yeah, but with your fancy new lycra pant, you should have no problem.

He might bend the air, but it does not mean the sun shines out of his assos.... :P

Guest Frail4Life

BEST TIME to TRAIN?

It depends on your DNA.

Studies about Training and DNA are being done at UCT.

According to my DNA, I am at my best late afternoon.

I fit my schedule around my Training.

The last time you refueled your body was more than 10 hours ago before you had dinner the previous night. You sugar levels dropped and now you want to go do a two hour ride with nothing in you stomach, nuts!

There is a reason why you should not get "used to it". It is you body's natural way of telling you ... "feeeeeed me, I need energy!" I can not even cycle around the block without having breakfast.

Perhaps some nutritionist can shed some light here

Everyone is different in terms of what they can stomach or not. Theory tells us that it is important to eat before rides that last longer than 1 hour and then after that hour to refuel with high GI carbs (food/drinks) with electrolytes. In practice, however, this is not always true for everyone and it doesn't always apply in every situation - good point is when i cycle i just have to have something to eat before the ride, but, when i run a 20km i don't find i need to eat and often feel heavy if i do. You need to do what works for you, try eating before riding and if you feel nauseous then perhaps a low GI drink will be better suited for you. If you still feel bad on the drink then go on an empty stomach but start eating/refueling on the ride sooner than usual, like 30-45min in if you riding for more than 1 hour. Even someone who is overweight will have to have some form of glycogen stores (not fat stores) to use for energy on long rides, in other words they too would benefit from having a pre-training/race meal and not run the risk of hitting the wall. Science has showed us that fat oxidation (metabolism) is really only efficient in the leaner, fitter type person.

Unfortunately this is not an exact science, if only it was!

Hope that helps!

Science has showed us that fat oxidation (metabolism) is really only efficient in the leaner, fitter type person.

Unfortunately this is not an exact science, if only it was!

Hope that helps!

you telling me that the pasta pouch doesn't work???? NOT????? Why is it there then??? :lol: